Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINI_42
thanks again! i haven't even gotten the car yet. I ordered it on June 28 and it's not due to go into production for another 2 weeks (week 33, or August 12!). I had probably better drive it a bit so that when it comes time to do the RSB I will notice the difference.

Where is the best place to buy? Direct from NM, or WMW or someone else? I'll do the wrenching myself as I'm mechanically inclined.

Out of curiosity, would an install like this void any part of a warranty? I can imagine getting the runaround from the dealer if something went wrong, even if completely unrelated to a sway bar.

Mike
Just buy it from NM. No idea about the warranty.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM
3leafz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as warranty goes, if the repair/ damage is the result of installing aftermarket parts, then the dealer will void the warranty for that particular parts, but the dealer got to prove that the damage is related to the aftermarket parts. For instance, if something goes wrong in the engine bay(knock on the wood), and the dealer also saw you installed an aftermarket sway bar, they can't blame the engine problem was related to the sway bar.

Another instance where you installed an aftermarket cold air intake, and the intake sucks in water into the engine causing hydro lock to the engine. This time the dealer can definite void your warranty for the engine repair.

-Calvin

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 3leafz
As far as warranty goes, if the repair/ damage is the result of installing aftermarket parts, then the dealer will void the warranty for that particular parts, but the dealer got to prove that the damage is related to the aftermarket parts. For instance, if something goes wrong in the engine bay(knock on the wood), and the dealer also saw you installed an aftermarket sway bar, they can't blame the engine problem was related to the sway bar.

Another instance where you installed an aftermarket cold air intake, and the intake sucks in water into the engine causing hydro lock to the engine. This time the dealer can definite void your warranty for the engine repair.

-Calvin
In California I don't see much rain at all, but that is why there is a hole in the lowest part of the AEM air box, to allow water to not be trapped in the air box.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 3leafz

-Calvin
Hi Calvin, thanks for the info! What you say makes sense and I guess it should've been obvious. I must be cynical from prior experiences with dealers when they've tried to dodge warranty work. Thanks mate,
Mike

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
I have it on the softest setting for now, which is stiffer than the 19mm stiffest. Haven't tried the others yet, so far on the street that's plenty. After some track time and auto-x I'll try medium. As I mentioned above, a racer with plenty of experience told me that 19 is all that's needed.
After spending yesterday at Laguna Seca, I wouldn't want the RSB any stiffer than the softest setting on the 22mm, at least with the otherwise stock suspension and Continental runflats. The car had great turn-in, and a couple of times when I got on the gas too hard after the apex the back end started to come around and I had to catch it. My coach for the day also tracks a Mini with the stock RSB and was impressed with the difference the 22mm bar made. A ride in her R56S with JCW brakes and Direzzas was impressive, I need better brakes and tires! When I hit the line just right and didn't get overly aggressive on the gas the car was very nicely balanced and easy to fine tune the line with the throttle. So I'm staying with soft for now.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
One piece H Sport is far superior to a bar with welded on ends and rattle can paint....that's what you've got with the Alta. and yes, I'm not an Alta fan!
Good thing that YOU are happy with it, because that's what counts, isn't it? No need to diss someone else's choice. I have no complaints about the quality of the Alta bar, it is well made with excellent welds and a high quality finish - way beyond "rattle can."

Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Does the 2007-2011 MCS all use the same rear sway bars? Just trying to get a good idea how consistent these MC's really are, I expect the JCW's to be a bit different. I'll receive my H-sport bar tomorrow, can't wait to install it this weekend!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Torque Specs for H-Sport Comp Rear Sway Bar Bushing Brackets?

I'm going to be installing my H-Sport 25.5mm Comp Rear Sway Bar tomorrow and the instructions that came with have no torque specs at all, not even on the Hotchkis Sport Suspension website. I have all the other torque specs for everything else, sub-frame bolts, top shock mounts, lower shock mounts, end links and lug bolts. I need the specs for the torque specs on the Hotchkis bracket bushings please!

Thanks,
Systemlord.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I'm going to be installing my H-Sport 25.5mm Comp Rear Sway Bar tomorrow and the instructions that came with have no torque specs at all, not even on the Hotchkis Sport Suspension website. I have all the other torque specs for everything else, sub-frame bolts, top shock mounts, lower shock mounts, end links and lug bolts. I need the specs for the torque specs on the Hotchkis bracket bushings please!

Thanks,
Systemlord.
Go to the nm website. If I remember right, the page with their 22mm bar has a PDF with the specs. Just click on the install icon for full install pics, torque specs etc... Try it

Last edited by SuperGreg; 08-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The NM instructions call for 25 ft-lbs. This is for the RSB bushing to the subframe.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The NM also uses CNC brackets, but the NM instructions is where I gathered all of the other torque specs.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I have been driving for quite awhile today and holy cow does my MCS handle better than before, it turns in the direction I'm pointing the front wheels. No longer do I feel the rear end of the car fighting with me going into a high speed turn, no more body roll. The rear end feels very responsive when you change lanes abruptly right and then left really fast, what a bang for your buck mod!

Thanks to everyone for your input, I couldn't be happier!

Systemlord.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
It is a very drastic change isn't it!! Best mod for the buck!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I enjoyed driving it so much that I let my fuel gauge get to two red carrots with 40 miles left until no fuel, I was to busy paying attention to driving! I pushed it really hard without any side effects, of course try that on wet pavement and I'll end up around a pole!

Extremely happy with this Hotchkis 25.5mm Sway Bar!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I enjoyed driving it so much that I let my fuel gauge get to two red carrots with 40 miles left until no fuel, I was to busy paying attention to driving! I pushed it really hard without any side effects, of course try that on wet pavement and I'll end up around a pole!

Extremely happy with this Hotchkis 25.5mm Sway Bar!
It's hard to describe the feeling. I think the back now follows the front around corners, instead of being pulled.