Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research into improving how my 2007 MCS handles around corners and have learned that the rear end wants to push forward even though you're in a tight turn, I feel it when looping around those on-ramps to freeways. I have also read many threads about how a sway bar can improve handling by eliminating understeer.

I have also had some conflicting information about how stiffer sway bars can spin you around in a corner end to end, not sure if you that's just at the extreme end of what's possible on spirited back roads. I have read some interesting things about the Madness MINI Cooper S 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar.

I'm interested in buying one if it will improve handling overall, feedback appreciated!

Thanks,
Systemlord.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
This is IMO one of the best mods you can do to your MINI. The adjustable RSB will allow you to dial it in to your driving level. I have never had mine spin me around no matter how hard I have thrown my MINI in a turn. I have heard the same things but never heard from anyone with 1st hand knowledge. I am sure in wet conditions you could, but I never push it that hard in those condition. I say go for it and enjoy the difference it will make. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I highly recommend upgrading the RSB. I went with the Alta 22mm, it is set on the softest setting (a bit stiffer than the 19mm on stiffest) and it completely transformed the car. If I'm really pushing hard and drop throttle in the middle of a turn, the front end will tuck in requiring some steering correction but that is a fact of life with FWD cars. No sign of oversteer. I did the install in 2.5 hours in the garage, no fancy tools other than a torque wrench required.

FWIW, the guy who runs a local racing shop and has plenty of track time in the R56 says the 19mm is all you need. I'm more than happy with my 22mm though.

There's lots of RSBs out there - Alta, NM, H-sport, Madness, etc. Shop around.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research into improving how my 2007 MCS handles around corners and have learned that the rear end wants to push forward even though you're in a tight turn, I feel it when looping around those on-ramps to freeways. I have also read many threads about how a sway bar can improve handling by eliminating understeer.

I have also had some conflicting information about how stiffer sway bars can spin you around in a corner end to end, not sure if you that's just at the extreme end of what's possible on spirited back roads. I have read some interesting things about the Madness MINI Cooper S 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar.

I'm interested in buying one if it will improve handling overall, feedback appreciated!

Thanks,
Systemlord.

OK so I'm interpreting as your car doesn't want to rotate as well as you intend. A big rear swaybar is the answer to that. The H-sport 25.5mm comp bar is by far the best. Fantastic quality and it's lighter than a 22mm.

The only way you'll end up having the rear of the car lose grip suddenly, is if you're mid corner and you ABRUPTLY lift the throttle. That will cause a snap oversteer but it's easy to recover. The most important thing to remember, as with all performance driving, is to be smooth with your driving inputs.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it!!! I installed the nm 22mm bar, and it has totally transformed the handling. I have it on the softest setting btw.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
OK so I'm interpreting as your car doesn't want to rotate as well as you intend. A big rear swaybar is the answer to that. The H-sport 25.5mm comp bar is by far the best. Fantastic quality and it's lighter than a 22mm.

The only way you'll end up having the rear of the car lose grip suddenly, is if you're mid corner and you ABRUPTLY lift the throttle. That will cause a snap oversteer but it's easy to recover. The most important thing to remember, as with all performance driving, is to be smooth with your driving inputs.
+1 for the HSport Comp RSB. 25.5mm hollow is nice and stiff. I installed and left it on the middle setting.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yes go with the Hsport Comp bar it is by far the best bar available. If you are concerned about driving start with it on the soft setting and go from there you can always stiffen it up as 90% of my customers have it set on the middle setting.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I've watched the video for the Madness MINI Cooper S 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar and they say that a one piece forged sway bar is the way to go, but I know nothing about sway bars so I can only go off the video. Can someone chime in here? I'm seriously considering the H-Sport Comp RSB. 25.5mm hollow sway bar since it looks like the Madness sway bars are out of stock for at least a month!

Will I need an alignment after installing a sway bar?

Appreciate the helpful replies!

Thanks,
Systemlord.

Last edited by Systemlord; 07-25-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM
squawSkiBum
No you won't need an alignment after install.

I looked at all the RSBs available and read all the competing claims and just about drove myself nuts and finally went with the Alta. Why?

Looking at the H-Sport, I was turned off by the fact that the bends show a sharp crimp in the tube. To me, that says stress concentration and weak spot. I know lots of people love their H-sport bars and Way really promotes them so in reality it can't be a problem, but I didn't like it. Yes it is a few pounds lighter but since I won't be racing that wasn't important to me. Madness says 1 piece forged is simpler/stronger. Alta says no way is our weld ever going to break and it's more precise than a bar that's been whacked in a press and had a couple of holes drilled in it. NM was disqualified because it's way more expensive for the same thing. In the end, the choice came down to simple reasons - there was a great sale on the Alta bar, and the red color matches my Chili Red car.

Yup, that was the decision - it was red and on sale. And I'm delighted with it, which is all that really matters.

Moral of the story - find the one you like, buy it, install it, and enjoy. If there's a feature you really have to have - zerks on the bushings, tubular, red, blue, stoppers to prevent side to side movement, then buy the one that has that feature. Don't go all OCD over the decision (like I did, and am doing now over which FMIC - Helix, Forge, Alta, or Wagner?)

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Bravo Zulu
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squawSkiBum, what setting did you finally decide on?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I decided to purchase the 25.5mm H-Sport Competition Sway Bar, I can't wait to install it! I'll probably use the center hole setting, I'll let everyone know how it feels when I have had enough time to put my mini through it's paces.

I want to thank everyone for your very helpful feedback!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
squawSkiBum
Originally Posted by Bravo Zulu
squawSkiBum, what setting did you finally decide on?
I have it on the softest setting for now, which is stiffer than the 19mm stiffest. Haven't tried the others yet, so far on the street that's plenty. After some track time and auto-x I'll try medium. As I mentioned above, a racer with plenty of experience told me that 19 is all that's needed.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
No you won't need an alignment after install.

I looked at all the RSBs available and read all the competing claims and just about drove myself nuts and finally went with the Alta. Why?

Looking at the H-Sport, I was turned off by the fact that the bends show a sharp crimp in the tube. To me, that says stress concentration and weak spot. I know lots of people love their H-sport bars and Way really promotes them so in reality it can't be a problem, but I didn't like it. Yes it is a few pounds lighter but since I won't be racing that wasn't important to me. Madness says 1 piece forged is simpler/stronger. Alta says no way is our weld ever going to break and it's more precise than a bar that's been whacked in a press and had a couple of holes drilled in it. NM was disqualified because it's way more expensive for the same thing. In the end, the choice came down to simple reasons - there was a great sale on the Alta bar, and the red color matches my Chili Red car.

Yup, that was the decision - it was red and on sale. And I'm delighted with it, which is all that really matters.

Moral of the story - find the one you like, buy it, install it, and enjoy. If there's a feature you really have to have - zerks on the bushings, tubular, red, blue, stoppers to prevent side to side movement, then buy the one that has that feature. Don't go all OCD over the decision (like I did, and am doing now over which FMIC - Helix, Forge, Alta, or Wagner?)
One piece H Sport is far superior to a bar with welded on ends and rattle can paint....that's what you've got with the Alta. and yes, I'm not an Alta fan!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
One piece H Sport is far superior to a bar with welded on ends and rattle can paint....that's what you've got with the Alta. and yes, I'm not an Alta fan!
I'm no sway bar expert but with welded ends you lose that rigid stiffness in the bar itself, the stress will go towards the weakest link.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Alta and NM are identical with respect to the welded end piece?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI_42
Can anyone tell me if the Alta and NM are identical with respect to the welded end piece?
Nm bar has forged ends, not welded

Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Thanks SuperGreg. Did you get the NM? And if so, was that the deciding factor? I think that is the direction I am 'swaying' toward...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Thanks SuperGreg. Did you get the NM? And if so, was that the deciding factor? I think that is the direction I am 'swaying' toward...
Yes I did. I have always liked the quality of their products. I like the forged ends, zerk fittings, custom heavy CNC machined brackets, graphite infused bushings with grease channels, and also the bracket stops. Love it!!

22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?-image-2338419349.jpg

Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Went with the NM's as well. There products are very good.

Name:  null-16.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  160.1 KB

Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Went with the NM's as well. There products are very good.
You are the one that sold me on mine

Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
You are the one that sold me on mine
Yes, I know. There are better bars, but for the price and used on the street most of the time. It's hard to beat.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
[QUOTE=jkapinos;3782288]Went with the NM's as well. There products are very good.

I went with NM as well and their springs also. They're getting installed on Wednesday. They look good in your picture.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Thanks SuperGreg for the info, and jkapinos thank you for the great photo, that really puts it in perspective. It does also raise a question though...does the end of the bar attach to a tab on the shock absorber?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Thanks SuperGreg for the info, and jkapinos thank you for the great photo, that really puts it in perspective. It does also raise a question though...does the end of the bar attach to a tab on the shock absorber?
My pleasure!!
No, it bolts on to the end link.
Just pull the trigger, you will be shocked at the difference in handling. I only paid $135 for the install. It took less than an hour. Dealer quoted $425 to install lol. My best advice is to find a great MINI mechanic. I did. He is amazing and affordable.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
thanks again! i haven't even gotten the car yet. I ordered it on June 28 and it's not due to go into production for another 2 weeks (week 33, or August 12!). I had probably better drive it a bit so that when it comes time to do the RSB I will notice the difference.

Where is the best place to buy? Direct from NM, or WMW or someone else? I'll do the wrenching myself as I'm mechanically inclined.

Out of curiosity, would an install like this void any part of a warranty? I can imagine getting the runaround from the dealer if something went wrong, even if completely unrelated to a sway bar.

Mike

Quick Reply: Suspension 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?