Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Lowering and Powerflex Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Lowering and Powerflex Bushings?

I love my H-sport sway bar, but now I'm looking to get rid of when I brake hard or switch lanes quickly my MCS telegraphs my movements. I would like to lower my Mini just enough to where I still have full suspension travel, that wheel gap just looks a little too much. I'm not looking for coilovers right now, probably just some springs to lower it a little.

I would also like to replace all my bushings with the more firm PowerFlex bushing to eliminate torque steer. Not interested in changing engine mounts or bushings for the shocks or anything, kind of like what I installed with the H-Sport RSB, those polyurethane bushing up front perhaps in the control arms and FSB. As long as my ride doesn't feel any vibration, I'm not looking to go nuts on firmness, just trying to eliminate the loose feel when making quick lane changes and torque steer. I don't want that stiff feel to where I feel more vibrations, just looking to eliminate that loose feel up front on hard acceleration and quick lane changes.

Thanks,
Systemlord.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering and Powerflex Bushings?-diag_2626.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Going to our Powerflex front Control Arm bushings is a no brainer and will really help get the car better planted.
And we do always recommend replacing the front sway bar bushings at the same time as the jobs overlap.
Both of those are tried and true perfect mods with NO downsides of noise or wear issues.

As for you wanting to lower the car and maintain shock travel. It can't be done with just springs. Anytime you lower the car on stock shocks you have to loose shock travel to get it lower, that is just how it works. For budget lowering and keeping max shock travel the EZ street Megan coilovers are a great deal as the shock bodies are adjustable to keep max shock travel for ride quality and performance.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Going to our Powerflex front Control Arm bushings is a no brainer and will really help get the car better planted.
And we do always recommend replacing the front sway bar bushings at the same time as the jobs overlap.
Both of those are tried and true perfect mods with NO downsides of noise or wear issues.

As for you wanting to lower the car and maintain shock travel. It can't be done with just springs. Anytime you lower the car on stock shocks you have to loose shock travel to get it lower, that is just how it works. For budget lowering and keeping max shock travel the EZ street Megan coilovers are a great deal as the shock bodies are adjustable to keep max shock travel for ride quality and performance.
Do I still need F/R lower control arms if I decide to lower my MCS beyond OEM spec? Also those which you linked are for R50-R53 coopers, do you have a link for the R56 ones? I hear you on doing both control arm and front sway bar bushings.

Also what is the main difference between the Megan Racing Coilovers and the Megan Racing EZ Street Coilovers? I'm guessing that the Megan Racing EZ's are for comfort and the Megan Racing Coilovers are a bit harsher when it comes to ride comfort.

Last edited by Systemlord; 11-14-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Do I still need F/R lower control arms if I decide to lower my MCS beyond OEM spec? Also those which you linked are for R50-R53 coopers, do you have a link for the R56 ones? I hear you on doing both control arm and front sway bar bushings.

Also what is the main difference between the Megan Racing Coilovers and the Megan Racing EZ Street Coilovers? I'm guessing that the Megan Racing EZ's are for comfort and the Megan Racing Coilovers are a bit harsher when it comes to ride comfort.
The control arm bushings for the R53 and R56 are the same, also the sway bar bushings are too, you just need to know what size front sway bar you have.
You don't need to replace any Front control arms. You only replace the rear control arms with the Hsport Camber links.

The difference in the Megan coilover is the Street Megans include Camber plates and have 32 valve adjustment. The EZ street do not have adjustable camber plates and only 15 way valve adjustment.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Does anyone know what the diameter is on the OEM front saw bar for a 2007 MCS would be?

Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Does anyone know what the diameter is on the OEM front saw bar for a 2007 MCS would be?
You have to measure it as there are a couple different sizes based on options