Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension BC coilover front, stock rear, crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 PM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC coilover front, stock rear, crazy?

I've had BC coilovers on my '05 S for a year. That and a ST bar on the rear and handling pretty neutral for autocross when dampers set correctly. (700lbs front, 500rear BC springs) But the street ride is killing my back! Long story short, I put the stock rear suspension back on the car, left the BC on the front. Was going to change it all out but drove the car in the meantime and going to stock on the rear made the ride pretty decent. I'm thinking of leaving it.... I know soft springs rear, less rear wheel camber, more understeer and certainly don't want that for autocross. Has anyone had soft setup in rear and autocrossed? Maybe stiffer rear bar with 3 hole adjustment can get me back to neutral? Or tell me I'm wacko and go either stock or get a backbrace and go back to the coilovers.... Thanks for any insights! (Car was not lowered but maybe 1/2 to 3/4" max with the BC's the way I have them set so not much change going to stock on the rear.)

Old 03-20-2015, 05:52 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you sure those were the rates on the BC Coilovers? That's a pretty seriously high spring rate in the front. Running on anything other than super smooth lots I'm guessing you would have trouble with front grip since you'd be shocking the tires pretty hard over any little bump. I run quite a bit less spring in the front.

If you want a comfy street setup that is also pretty good on the auto-x course I'd do 350f/350r springs. Want a little more auto-x focused at the expense of some street ride run 350f/450r. You'll want some rake (rear higher than front) and make some alignment adjustments to liven up the rear a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if you go faster by lowering your spring rates.

FWIW we started at 450f/350r and it was terrible. Swapped to 350f/350r and it was so much better. Then went to 450f/450r with custom valving on the shocks and it got quite a bit faster again (although street ride quality went down a bunch). Finally jumped to 450f/600r and it didn't get significantly faster than the 450/450 setup.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:25 AM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Yes, pretty sure that's the spring rates as it's stamped on the spring and I talked to BC after I had installed them. My concern is that even after I change the springs that the dampers will still be too stiff even on the soft settings. I realize the only way to know is to try it..... Thanks again. Any thoughts on stock suspension with camber plates, (I know only maybe 2 degrees max) and stiff bar in the rear? I did the "serious" autocross circuit for maybe 10 years, now just want a halfway decent handling car (getting Quaife installed), have some grins, and not cripple myself on the bumpy Ohio streets.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:30 AM
cayuro
Neutral

Thanks for your help, so much appreciated

Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by conesmasher
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Yes, pretty sure that's the spring rates as it's stamped on the spring and I talked to BC after I had installed them. My concern is that even after I change the springs that the dampers will still be too stiff even on the soft settings. I realize the only way to know is to try it..... Thanks again. Any thoughts on stock suspension with camber plates, (I know only maybe 2 degrees max) and stiff bar in the rear? I did the "serious" autocross circuit for maybe 10 years, now just want a halfway decent handling car (getting Quaife installed), have some grins, and not cripple myself on the bumpy Ohio streets.
Stock suspension with camber plates wouldn't be too terrible I don't think. I would still try swapping the springs on the BC coils first. You could get super cheap qa1 springs from summit. I use hyperco and really like them but they're more expensive.

Sent from my phone using NAMotoring

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM
conesmasher
1st Gear
Thanks again. Will check out the springs you suggested. Have heard Swift springs be a good quality spring as well.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by conesmasher
Thanks again. Will check out the springs you suggested. Have heard Swift springs be a good quality spring as well.
Swift is good and eibach isn't bad either.

Sent from my phone using NAMotoring