Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension installed H sport springs w/ Alta rear sway and now not launching from a dead stop...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 04:58 AM
stubbsy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed H sport springs w/ Alta rear sway and now not launching from a dead stop...

as well as I did before the spring install. I have a MCS and 215/45/17's Toyo T1S on Flik rims +42 offset rims. I love the H-sport springs, not too rough (actually smoother over small bumps and divids in the room, a little harsher on bigger bumps), no rubbing issues at all yet and the car feels like it corners so flat now, actually a little breath taking hitting a corner that has a sign for 15 mph at 40 and it sticking like glue now, not that it didn't handle well stock. The most noticeable thing is it seems like the squat and dive feeling is gone which I couldn't stand...

Well, My problem is at launch from a red light or stop sign, it actually feels as if my tires are slipping a little bit and not gripping like they should or the car just doesn't want to zip like it used to. Do I need an alignment??? If so how long after the spring install should I wait (just had it done on Thursday and have only put about 100 miles on the car since) and what specs should I take to the shop to ask for??

Any help would be great. Thank you....

Old 08-01-2004, 10:23 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you notice at drag strips, the front drivers will actually put softer springs in front. this actually allows more power to hit the pavement through the front wheels because of lower weight transfer (the car allowed squat and still have some weight on the front wheels). the higher the spring rate, the more weight transfer you get, be it left to right or front to back.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:15 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have progressive rate rear coils on the h-sport, the initial weight transfer jumps back to the rear of the car than before.

Best thing to do there is to get some Koni struts and stiffen up the
rear. :smile: if you want to keep your h-sports.

in fact, Im selling some of my parts right now from my car and my
other cars so that I can get me some KW's. (btw, my h-sports
and stock strut is not for sale cause i need them when im ready
to sell the car in a few years).

Last edited by kenchan; 08-01-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
hayaku
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stubbsy
as well as I did before the spring install. I have a MCS and 215/45/17's Toyo T1S on Flik rims +42 offset rims. I love the H-sport springs, not too rough (actually smoother over small bumps and divids in the room, a little harsher on bigger bumps), no rubbing issues at all yet and the car feels like it corners so flat now, actually a little breath taking hitting a corner that has a sign for 15 mph at 40 and it sticking like glue now, not that it didn't handle well stock. The most noticeable thing is it seems like the squat and dive feeling is gone which I couldn't stand...

Well, My problem is at launch from a red light or stop sign, it actually feels as if my tires are slipping a little bit and not gripping like they should or the car just doesn't want to zip like it used to. Do I need an alignment??? If so how long after the spring install should I wait (just had it done on Thursday and have only put about 100 miles on the car since) and what specs should I take to the shop to ask for??

Any help would be great. Thank you....
what are the spring rates? sounds like the rear is too soft and its squating too much on hard acceleration/lift tires (therefore losing drive wheel grip).

if these are lowering springs, then yes, you will need an alignment. i typically drive hard for 500 miles or so then align them. when you lower a car, the camber is increased naturally, which affects toe going out.

i can't really advise on alignment settings. general rule is 0 toe front, 1/16 inch total toe in rear for street... just really general specs there, not sure how it works on the mini either...