Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Aftermarket or R53 Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 07:18 AM
Bonestock3
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Aftermarket or R53 Control Arms

Needing to replace the control arm bushings on my '03 R50, since I will be modifying the suspension anyway I figure I'll swap out the control arms altogether if better options exist.

So far no luck finding an aftermarket control arm unit, curious if the R53 control arms are any different/ have an advantage.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:34 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock3
Needing to replace the control arm bushings on my '03 R50, since I will be modifying the suspension anyway I figure I'll swap out the control arms altogether if better options exist.

So far no luck finding an aftermarket control arm unit, curious if the R53 control arms are any different/ have an advantage.
So...what is this "better" option ? Do you know what the OEM arms do, or..."don't" do ?
NOTHING better !
The big thing about the aluminum arms, is a slight loss in unsprung weight. You do know what unsprung weight is...? Just makes the shocks and springs work harder with heavier parts, than with lighter parts.

I don't understand this affection with this, so-called..."upgrading" of parts, when the questioner doesn't even understand the benefit, or the lack of.

Bone -
Make sure that your current suspension is in good condition, shocks, bushing, tire wise. Then go out and learn to drive what you have, before adding a bunch do-dads that you aren't even sure what they do, other than a talking point. Interesting thing, you many not even feel or understand what these "hot rod" parts do, or are supposed to feel like in the car, until you have some more actual spirited driving experience under your belt.
Case in point. When you drive around a city (90°) corner, do you use the brakes to slow you down ? I've found, that in about 80+% of the city corners, driving the posted speeds, you DO NOT...need to slow the car to make the corner. A Mini that has a suspension, that is, in good condition and has reasonably good tires, is VERY capable in doing this...in "stock" form.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just providing little real world insight.
Save your fancy part money, and take a driving class or two. MUCH more fun than getting all dirty laying under the car.

Mike

Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
The R50 and R53 arms are the same. I believe DNA Racing in Italy still makes a set of tubular front LCAs (I assume you're talking about the front), but I know of no one who's ever bothered to buy a set.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Bonestock3
2nd Gear
I asked a simple question Mike, not for your opinion or impressions on my experience based on that .. very simple question. Here's a decent alternative

"Hey Bonestock, seems you are new to Mini's (classy underhand), they stock unit is made of aluminum and is so efficient there really isnt an aftermarket part that is better, maybe look at a nicer set of bushings and invest there or on something you might feel a difference- have you seen how these things handle 90 degree turns? Best of luck, happy to answer any thing else'
-Mike "

I wish you the best Mike, seems you have greater issues than my Bushings.

The following users liked this post:
veggivet (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Bonestock3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by deepgrey
The R50 and R53 arms are the same. I believe DNA Racing in Italy still makes a set of tubular front LCAs (I assume you're talking about the front), but I know of no one who's ever bothered to buy a set.
I appreciate your response. going to focus on the quality of the bushings then.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:48 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Changing out the shocks, which it sounds you are planning on doing, will have a much greater significance on ride quality than any change you could make with the control arms.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM
Bonestock3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
Changing out the shocks, which it sounds you are planning on doing, will have a much greater significance on ride quality than any change you could make with the control arms.
yes, thank you, looking through threads now to see what's a good combo with stock struts.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:55 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Bilsteins are very popular on this board, and won't lower the car.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:41 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 354 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock3
yes, thank you, looking through threads now to see what's a good combo with stock struts.
Did you mean to say stock springs? If so, I think pretty much everyone who has installed Koni FSDs (I think they're called special active now?) seems to have liked them. I have no personal experience with them though. I'm running Swift springs with Koni yellows.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:58 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Agreed! The Koni FSDs transformed the ride on my R53. They weren't available for my R61, so I went with Bilstein B6s, and they made a significant improvement, though not as dramatic as the Konis.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:30 AM
Bonestock3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by deepgrey
Did you mean to say stock springs? If so, I think pretty much everyone who has installed Koni FSDs (I think they're called special active now?) seems to have liked them. I have no personal experience with them though. I'm running Swift springs with Koni yellows.
Yes I meant springs (thank you), I did some research and ordered Koni special actives via Tirerack, looking at replacement springs but I don't want to go lower, wondering about the ride on stock springs, think i'll try it for now and see how it goes.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:32 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
You'll love the ride once the Konis are installed!

The following users liked this post:
Bonestock3 (09-10-2021)