Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension KONI Special Active install/review

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:09 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
KONI Special Active install/review

FINALLY swapped out my 100+K mile OEM shocks! 2004 R53
Long story - I'm super cheap. Bought some '05 take-off shocks many years ago. A few years ago (~80K miles) went to install the take-offs, to find them mostly dead. Into the dumpster. Considered cheap ebay options, but got scared with some of the install reports (driver's side).

Finally sucked it up and got the Koni SAs.
Verdict: Happy as hell! I can't say I've noticed that the ride has deteriorated over the years, though I'm sure it has. It's always felt "firm", wife always hated it. Now she loves it - though not as much as her '17 Clubman.
When I took the OEM shocks off, the rears were both totally dead. The fronts still had pressure, but slow rebound.
Have only done a hundred miles on the Koni, but it's a world of difference. On my normal run I've been cringing regularly as I hit imperfections, and now they just get *absorbed*! Haven't done sporty yet, but it's just so nice not to risk a kidney at every pothole.

INSTALL:
I've been dreading this for years, reading some early horror stories of driver side access issues and having to remove ball joints (PTSD!) in the process. I've done several struts/shocks in the past, but this one made me nervous.
I reviewed Pelican Parts and ModMINI procedures, and opted for the latter, which didn't call for ball joint removal. Both passenger and driver side assemblies came out fine. Got a new impact gun and that worked fine for disassembly of the struts.. Used a vice-grip on a 22mm and a allen wrench to reassemble. (A 22 with flats would be nice) Getting the new front assemblies in was a bit tougher, just getting the angle right for the knuckle. Perhaps it would have been easier with the ball joint removed, but I'd do it the same way again. After attempting to fit the passenger side, I did use a wedge to separate the shock mount a bit. It seemed the thickness of the paint on the Konis provided some resistance (flaked off on both sides), but again, it could be just because I didn't release the ball joint. The passenger side went in easier than the driver side, but both only took a moment to wrestle the shock into the knuckle.
I also replaced the front strut mounts, though the originals seemed fine upon inspection. I added CravenSpeed STIs years ago after seeing the mushroom, but the mounts persevered.. Bought new boots for the front as well. Both boots were in fine shape (though compressed), but replaced them since I had new ones.
The rears are much easier than the fronts. I did use an old school spring compressor on both front and rear, though I suppose you could get it done without.

The following 4 users liked this post by Eric_Rowland:
dmath (09-08-2022), ghostwrench (09-15-2022), mountainhorse (09-08-2022), WayMotorWorks (11-16-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:06 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I've had my eye on the FSD's for my "03 for some time and haven't pulled the trigger, but with 99K on the Sport+ suspension it seems like the time to take the plunge. Please give an update after a few thousand.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:11 AM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 121 Posts
I've had my FSDs on for about 5000 miles now and they're still riding great. I had B4's on my previous mini and while I enjoyed the stiff ride they provided, my wife did not. I went with what the masses suggested for performance and comfort for my current mini and purchased the FSD's (with the same IE camber plate and 22mm hollow RSB supporting mods). The ride is noticeably smoother than the B4s, but I don't feel it handles as well. It's a bit less planted during aggressive cornering. It could be subjective; but I went from having 100% confidence all of the time to feeling the need to back off occasionally on the exact same roads.

Is it a deal breaker? No. Would I purchase the FSDs again if I didn't need to make the wife happy? Also no. At 3x the cost, I don't believe they're 3x as comfortable as the B4's. If you're looking for a sporty ride and aren't concerned with the occasional bump, go B4. If you're more concerned with comfort than fun, go with the FSD.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:46 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by megaDan
... It could be subjective; but I went from having 100% confidence all of the time to feeling the need to back off occasionally on the exact same roads.
Could be the Konis or it could be that you're getting old...

(Just kidding )

Old 10-10-2022, 10:35 AM
Rebound
3rd Gear
Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I’m in the midst of installing my Koni FSD’s as well. I’m also replacing all the ball joints, the clutch, brake pads/rotors, but it will all be done in short order. So far, putting the Koni’s in hasn’t been difficult except for knowing the correct torque value for the top nut. The first one installed fine. I used a spring compressor kit from Harbor Freight. It wasn’t perfect but it did the job.

I didn’t replace any other strut components; they all seemed fine. I added Craven “underrators”. There was very mild mushrooming but banging on the strut tower didn’t seem to straighten it out.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:35 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
LOVE my koni FSD's. Super upgrade for the suspension.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (11-16-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:47 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebound
. So far, putting the Koni’s in hasn’t been difficult except for knowing the correct torque value for the top nut.
TBH, I diligently torqued to the appropriate German 'gutentight'.

Rebound (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 09:59 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I put Koni Special Active (FSD) on my car about 25,000 miles ago. The ride is superb! The handling is very good, I don't think it needs anything stiffer. I've never had any wallowing; even when hitting a bump or a dip mid-turn. I had Bilsteins on my other Cooper. In my opinion, the cost (in terms of ride comfort) was too high for gains so low (debatably better handling). My head would bang on the roof with the Bilsteins; I don't have that problem with the Konis.

Would I buy Konis again? Emphatically yes!

WayMotorWorks (11-16-2022)