Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Does this look about right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:49 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this look about right?

Randy installed my H-Sports a couple of weeks ago and I've asked a couple of other people on NAM and they all said that I don't need to get rear control arms to balance out the negative camber. That negative camber was actually good (especially in the twisties). I have attatched two pics of my left and right rear tires. From the dust in my parking garage you can see how the tires are going to wear. Does this look normal? I am also going to the dealership on Sat. to have them see what my rear camber is. Any suggestions on what it should be in the rear. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Does this look about right?-img_0305.jpg   Does this look about right?-img_0306.jpg  
Old 04-27-2005, 08:53 PM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
Great question. I had the M7s installed today and was wondering the same thing....

Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
That looks normal.

You'll still get pretty good distance out of the tires though if you rotate front to back. The rears will wear on the insides and the fronts generally wear on the outsides. It all balances out in the end.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Paging Minihune

We need you over here, man.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks about wat mine looks like too. :smile: Randy installed yours,
no need to worry.

Originally Posted by karvinbass
Randy installed my H-Sports a couple of weeks ago and I've asked a couple of other people on NAM and they all said that I don't need to get rear control arms to balance out the negative camber. That negative camber was actually good (especially in the twisties). I have attatched two pics of my left and right rear tires. From the dust in my parking garage you can see how the tires are going to wear. Does this look normal? I am also going to the dealership on Sat. to have them see what my rear camber is. Any suggestions on what it should be in the rear. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
This is not a hijack - it's Very Nearly Relevant. I was just thinking about tire rotation tonight, and wondered if just flip-flopping the fronts/rears is best, vs. crossing them left to right like an "X".

Gratefully,
Tatt

Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
most of our tires are uni directional, making cross type rotations impractical. They would require breaking the tire off the rim and phsically turning it over to run in the opposite direction.

Old 04-28-2005, 06:45 AM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
thanks for the info, I thought that was normal. should i even bother having the dealership check my negative camber in the rear?

Old 04-28-2005, 06:59 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Its pretty normal. I have the Alta springs on my car. Even though it did give it a little bit more negative camber it doesnt wear out the tires as fast as people think. My buddies are always telling me how bad the rear camber is on the car. ( I just think its funny they are always lookin at the back of the car because they cant keep up ) And u can rotate the wheels front to back like DID said. Hard cornering will even out the front .

Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
thanks for the info, I thought that was normal. should i even bother having the dealership check my negative camber in the rear?
naw, don't bother. Keep that money for other mods. :smile:

Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I've just worn out the same kind of tires you have. I had just about the same camber setting as you and even more neg. camber at one time.
Your gonna find that the tires wear pretty much even all the way around, slightly more in the front based on my experience.
I have M7 springs btw.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
Agree!

I have M7 Springs for almost 3K and tire worn is pretty even on the rear. I rotate the tires every 1K..why? cus' that way I can escape the yard work.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
I have the H sports with Bridgestone S-03's for the last 10k miles. Your rear tires will wear a little faster on the inside edge. Just make sure you rotate. I am expecting about 20k miles based on the wear that I have seen so far. The camber plates will extend your tire life somewhat, but I wouldn't spend the money unless you are looking to get a autoX or track set-up. The money spent on the camber plates goes a long ways towards new tires IMHO.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
don't worry, I have plenty of other things on my mind to buy (ECU, Large Air to Air intercooler)

Old 04-28-2005, 05:50 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
don't worry, I have plenty of other things on my mind to buy (ECU, Large Air to Air intercooler)
hehehe. here's a rear shot of mine. it's about -2 on the rear, GS-D3's
wearing flat.

Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
yeah looks like mine, good to know

Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Maybe it's hallucination, we see what we "want to see"... but KenChan's pic doesn't look THAT far from stock...

At work, they ALREADY think I'm nuts due to they always catch me peering at folks' cars in the parking lot, especially noting the shiny clean ones LOL.

Today takes the cake, when I was squatting behind my MCS to observe rear camber , thanks to this thread...

Ken if you're at -2, is stock zero?

Tatt

Old 04-28-2005, 08:44 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
tattman- good question... not sure off hand wat stock is especially since mine aren't adjustable. probably -0.7 or something. :smile: but people forget
that when they're onboard their stock car sinks quite a bit and probably
at about -2 anyway...

using lowering springs with higher spring rates, the car doesn't sink
that much further when you enter the car.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
My are wear on both front and back after installing the Alta spring with Alta adjustable control arm and running with 18" wheels.
Originally Posted by DiD
That looks normal.

You'll still get pretty good distance out of the tires though if you rotate front to back. The rears will wear on the insides and the fronts generally wear on the outsides. It all balances out in the end.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 PM
steebo777
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread. I was wondering the exact same thing.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Why?

The dealership can't do anything about the camber now that it's lowered anyway. There is no adjustment without aftermarket Rear Camber Links.
Randy sells them, didn't he tell you that.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
RCristiano
5th Gear
My car has the H&R springs and my rear camber is AT LEAST -2.5, if not more. It makes it tough to get any oversteer, which is a problem. I even have a stiffer sway bar (adjusted to be really firm). I was thinking about getting rear camber links, but hey, it's just a car Actually, I just don't have the money to fix it right now

Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
I have H&Rs too, and couldn't STAND how much negative camber I had out back. I sucked it up and got RDR control arms (only one pair) and had an alignment/front end joint do a 4-wheel alignment. Got the rears back to -1.0 for street.

Now I just need adjustable camber plated up front to get about -2 degrees per side....sigh

M

Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
RCristiano
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MartyR
Now I just need adjustable camber plated up front to get about -2 degrees per side....sigh

M
Mmmmmm... I've been eyeing those since I bought the car. Since we're on camber, it's not totally off topic- those things are, as the japanese say, #1 supreme cool mod.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
mburchill36
4th Gear
I pretty much did the same thing as MartyR...

I put in an Alta 22mm, M7s and a set of H-Sport lower rear control arms (in order to bring neg camber back to stock (-1) with the lowered suspension. I'll probably put in a set of front camber plates eventually since I plan on doing HPDE and auto-x as much as possible. I guess it depends on how much you want to go through tires, and how much understeer you want/like...

- - m