Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension New great stuff from Japan. (no, REALLY)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:24 PM
pfunk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Min Max, this is what they claim

Open Position (left)
You will feel the down force at low speed. good for twisties that sort of thing... top end might suffer.

Close position (right)
Not as noticeable at lower speed as the open position but very effective at higher speed. (lane change on freeways etc..)

I set mine about half way, slightly on the close side. I can start feeling the effect from 55mph~

Old 08-26-2005, 06:14 PM
badassmini
3rd Gear
Rear Bushings/Engine damper

I would like to get a set of the rear bushing and maybe the engine damper. Are you going to organize a group buy?:smile:

Old 08-26-2005, 07:06 PM
MinMax
2nd Gear
I would be interested in a group buy as well. I generally swear by polyurethane bushings, as they can completely transform a car, especially when you're talking front end components under a Chevy II, but I digress.

Thanks for the instruction clarification:smile: . Maybe posting those will help quell the fears of some of our MINI enthusiasts. I too like to understand how things work.

It is interesting to note that the MINI has several of these type "wings" under it from the factory (like the ones by the rear wheels, or the angle you see in the pics you posted). Seems that they're extending this to include a greater "wing" surface area that spans more of the underside of the car.
The Lexus has commercials that tout their "Golf ball" patterned under panels (say that three times fast, ) that are supposed to increase the aerodymanics of the car, and reduce wind noise. Interesting... Would also be interesting to see where these type wings would be most effective, as well as the Lexus "golfball" patterned panels. Just a thought.

BTW, I applaud your willingness to mod your MINI. I too have too many mods to list, but they are all geared towards better performance or cleaning up the appearance of the car. Thanks again.

Last edited by MinMax; 08-26-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more thoughts.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
To go a bit further, the original 1987 RUF CTR "Yellowbird" also had a sweeper wing underneath the car just ahead of the transaxle that ran the width of the car and was slightly curved toward the edges when it completed its 217mph record-breaking pass in Germany. I've seen the wing in person, but they usually take it off to avoid having anyone ripoff the exact shape and mounting location. Here's a pic of the car (featured in this month's road&track magazine)...

If you squint real hard, you can barely see something jutting down just ahead of the rear tire.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love a group buy as well.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:15 PM
MinMax
2nd Gear
I also went to the site you posted, but fortunately my Japaneese ain't too good these days (how about no-existent) so I'm having a bit of difficulty knowing what I'm looking at in the pictures, nevermind trying to navigate the site. I appreciate your posting pics of these parts, and translating for the rest of us. Care to share any more of the goodies you've found?

Thanks again,
MinMax

Old 08-26-2005, 07:23 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pfunk
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far. However, I just want to make one thing clear here though. I will not give any hand in making any kind of knock offs. I am a musician myself and I don't support any kind of rip off. These guys must have put a lot of time/effort developing these parts and it certainly shows in the quality of the parts. I am willing to set something up if you guys are interested in getting some QUALITY stuff from Japan. If you think you can make some cheap knock offs, go ahead. Just leave me out of it please.
I am/was a musician myself and had a song idea ripped a number of years ago that went pretty high on the charts so I can appreciate what your saying. what is the cost of the:

wings
bushings
damper

Please

Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
Bushings

How are these bushings different from the ones at Webb Motosports?
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...products_id=74

http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...products_id=75

Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sent emails to GUT in Japan and they dont reply. Some good stuff there.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:48 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
JUst a better pic to illustrate where in the engine bay the damper goes and who what comes with the kit.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:26 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Does anyone know of shopping/export services in Japan for auto parts? Here is an example for electronics: http://pricejapan.com/. Surely there must be something similar that will handle automotive or general products.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
MOTORN
4th Gear
More pictures here:
Only 20,790 yen ($188.00):smile:
http://www.delta-mini.net/cgi-bin/pa...pen&ids=EX0073

Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Thats a great find for the rear under body wing......My friend bought the one from Hamman about 2yrs ago when they came out for about 3 times that price and it was well worth it.....If you notice, goin over 125+ the car starts to dance in the rear and gets real scetchy. We are trying to have a guy reproduce the same design for half that price. these cars def need this device.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Thats a great find for the rear under body wing......My friend bought the one from Hamman about 2yrs ago when they came out for about 3 times that price and it was well worth it.....If you notice, goin over 125+ the car starts to dance in the rear and gets real scetchy. We are trying to have a guy reproduce the same design for half that price. these cars def need this device.
Looking forward to some actual data from aerodynamic tests of this device.

Theo

Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
pfunk
4th Gear
These are not mounted in rear BTW. They go on just behind the front wheels.

What's up with you guys trying to steal somebody else's idea/products? These are patented product in Japan. You guys wouldn't openly disscuss stealing (for example) Randy's idea would you? I wonder why some people think it's OK because the product is from overseas....

I wish I hadn't posted this info here now. I had bunch of other cool stuff I got/found in Japan in the last couple of years but I will not post them anymore. I am finding a way to get bunch of cool stuff over here. I am only going to get it to people who I know now.

I thought this forum was to really help the MINI community. (including the vendors and manufactures) You might disagree on the protection of intellectual property but I am sure I am not alone here. Don't we want the aftermarket industry for the MINI to grow?

Old 08-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

What's up with you guys trying to steal somebody else's idea/products? These are patented product in Japan. You guys wouldn't openly disscuss stealing (for example) Randy's idea would you? I wonder why some people think it's OK because the product is from overseas....

I wish I hadn't posted this info here now. I had bunch of other cool stuff I got/found in Japan in the last couple of years but I will not post them anymore. I am finding a way to get bunch of cool stuff over here. I am only going to get it to people who I know now.

I thought this forum was to really help the MINI community. (including the vendors and manufactures) You might disagree on the protection of intellectual property but I am sure I am not alone here. Don't we want the aftermarket industry for the MINI to grow?

I agree with you and disagree with you on some things. They did a great job making those things. Props to them. But do you honestly think they have control over the idea of undercarriage spoilers? I certainly hope not. TONS of other people offer the same thing for other cars. They are not the inventor of this specific part.

I dont think people should copy the exact design of it, but they are certainly allowed to make undercarriage spoilers because that idea is not own by anyone in specific. I know plenty of people who have talked about creating rear diffusers on their own. Heck i talked to randy (of M7) about making a front splitter of my own. Like the under-car spoilers, M7 does not own the patent for the idea of a front splitter just their design (i assume?).

I know a lot about the stuff over in japan. I have contacted many of the companies for information about their stuff. Im sorry you plan on not distributing anymore. bummer.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
We are not stealing anything at all and i read that wrong...i thought its the rear spoiler being i cant see the pic b/c of my work server...........We took a design already out there and we're making our own which is a 3 piece design and fully adjustable compared to the Hamman which is one solid piece.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
1fstmini is talking about a rear diffuser apparently

Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Yes...im sorry.....the post didnt state which one and i couldnt see the pic at work.....sorry

Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Wenzor
4th Gear
every idea is in part copying another idea and adding your own twist. humans have advanced so far technologically because we have "borrowed" ideas from other inventor or designers. to be so uptight and irrational does nothing for the advancement of all MINIs. the wings could be easily done.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:05 PM
alpha-6
2nd Gear

People are excited about GREAT finds like yours and they are eager to get them placed on their cars.....wait times/currency exchanges/and shipping charges are ridiculous- this is the reason for the "copycat" talk. WE CAN'T ALL AFFORD TO LIVE/ OR EVEN VISIT JAPAN!!!!

Plus, the Japanese should be excited/flattered that we are looking to reproduce (not steal.) their ingenious ideas!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 01:56 PM
topgearnut
1st Gear

Hey I apologize that I inadvertently started this whole copy thing - I meant it's easy enough to fab a set for my own use. Never said marketing or selling the wings myself and I don't encourage anyone else to do the same. For those of us who don't want to pay the $$$ - it's fair that we can fab our own at our own risk. Just like someone laying out some fiberglass or CF themselves in making a front spoiler or rear wing - it's for one's self and not profit. I'm sure most folks will pony up the $$$ for the product.

As for the rear bushings - I just said someone will eventually make them available - it's not like its a novel idea or anything.

So again - i don't encourage copying and selling the same product for profit - theres enough of that going on as it is on earlier posts. I see this as a HAI/ DIY CAI-like project for personal use only & at your own risk.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Does anyone know of shopping/export services in Japan for auto parts? Here is an example for electronics: http://pricejapan.com/. Surely there must be something similar that will handle automotive or general products.
try: http://www.japanparts.com
they are based in Japan and can get pretty much anything car related.
Another place is http://www.takakaira.com

Old 08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Well now im home n can see the pix.....Nice damper.....to bad it wont fit the 05 mount. been looking for something like this.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
pfunk
4th Gear
OK, I think you guys are misunderstanding my frustration.

I agree that none of these products are new ideas. I am sure people who made them got the idea from some products out there already. If you want to copy something and make one for yourself I am fine with that. However, what really gets me is the undertone. I post some things I brought back from "Japan" and some guys want to know the dimension, angle etc... we can make them cheaper... you get the idea. Randy Webb (good friend of mine BTW) announces some up coming new products few days ago from "Denver" and do you see the same question/comments posted about his products? Why is no one asking Peter the dimension of his splitter so that he/she can make one at home cheaper? Is it OK to publicly announce you are about to copy some product since they are overseas?

I didn't mean to loose my cool. I will keep you posted if I find anything new.

Here is one for those of you want your car even stiffer.. Comes with light weight Aluminum underaged as well. I really wanted this but didn't fit in my suitcase!

Front lower brace

Quick Reply: Suspension New great stuff from Japan. (no, REALLY)