Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Hard to oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 09:37 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by velVeT
I do know how to heel & toe. I'm not great at it when threshold braking... my latest instructor eval rates that at a 3 (out of 5).
Unless your post wasn't aimed at me.
It was aimed directly at you. jk

more hugs.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:45 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put 7 hole 15's on your car adjust tire pressures.... shake steering wheel vigerously left to right... that'll get ya done!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
No. Bigger rear swaybars on a FWD car increase the tendency to oversteer.

Anyway, the only way to get a FWD car to oversteer on a skid pad under power is to lift the throttle. If your foot was on the gas and you were expecting oversteer you might as well have been trying to get it to rain Mt. Dew.
I want to be able to oversteer, because I want to know my car is capable of reaching those limits if need be... And to learn where those limits are once they can be attained.

And yeah, the instructor kept saying to oversteer I needed to give it throttle, and then quickly let off... But it still wasn't doing it, and throttling up, I'd go into an understeer skid before coming anywhere near fast enough to oversteer, as it was a full wet circular skidpad.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:29 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A front wheel drive car will not behave the same in wet and dry conditions. The same throttle inputs that enable the Mini to track thru a turn while on the throttle will cause the Mini to lose grip and swing very wide - understeer - in the wet.

Drop-throttle-oversteer is pretty much a no-no in passenger cars these days...unless you're a Porsche whos later models are pretty stable. It is not a trait corporate attorneys like to see.

Your instructor does not know the Mini; it will drop-throttle understeer under most conditions. Staying on the throttle assertively, but gently in the begining of a turn while progressively closing the throttle as you leave the turn, is the fastest way thru turns with a stock set-up. If you were driving say a 1989 VW GTI, your instructor would be spot on.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Well said

Originally Posted by meb
A front wheel drive car will not behave the same in wet and dry conditions. The same throttle inputs that enable the Mini to track thru a turn while on the throttle will cause the Mini to lose grip and swing very wide - understeer - in the wet.

Drop-throttle-oversteer is pretty much a no-no in passenger cars these days...unless you're a Porsche whos later models are pretty stable. It is not a trait corporate attorneys like to see.

Your instructor does not know the Mini; it will drop-throttle understeer under most conditions. Staying on the throttle assertively, but gently in the begining of a turn while progressively closing the throttle as you leave the turn, is the fastest way thru turns with a stock set-up. If you were driving say a 1989 VW GTI, your instructor would be spot on.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
The wet/dry thing is very interesting to me. The way I have the suspension set up right now my Mini will oversteer like crazy (I've made some changes:added front sway bar, played with strut settings, to fix this). When I autocross in the wet, though, it plows terribly.

I think the goal of suspension is to get a nice, four-wheel drift when cornering at speed. This setup will allow for throttle-lift oversteer and will require some skill and practice if you want to try it in the vicinity of trees, guardrails, etc.:smile: