Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension How to disable DSC ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to disable DSC ?

I not only don't use DSC, it is intermittant on my car and I don't want to pay for the fix for it. I don't want to switch it on or off, but just disable that function. When the DSC fails, I lose engine power (limp in mode), which is the most important issue for me. I looked at Ian's mod, but don't need even that. Just tell me which wires to disconnect that will not affect the other functions, such as ABS. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. -Jeffy.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy
I not only don't use DSC, it is intermittant on my car and I don't want to pay for the fix for it. I don't want to switch it on or off, but just disable that function. When the DSC fails, I lose engine power (limp in mode), which is the most important issue for me. I looked at Ian's mod, but don't need even that. Just tell me which wires to disconnect that will not affect the other functions, such as ABS. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. -Jeffy.
ABS/ASC/DSC all on same circuit, per Bentley, F33. I wouldnt pull that fuse.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have a big problem here.

DSC isn't a single module. It's distributed and resides in the ABS and ECU. If it's intermittant, this is because of some potentially serious underlying issue. The DSC system uses the four wheel speed sensors (used for the ABS system), the steering wheel position sensor, and the ECU. If the system is intermittant, I'd guess that one of the wheel speed sensors or the steering wheel sensor is sick. If the ABS still works when the DSC isn't working, I'd look at the steering angle sensor.

Whatever is preventing it from running could be a very big issue, and if it affect ABS, can severly impact safety.

Matt

Old 11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC uniquely uses also the lean sensors mounted under the tunnel sheet metal somewhere near the shift lever.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jlm
DSC uniquely uses also the lean sensors mounted under the tunnel sheet metal somewhere near the shift lever.
The gyro sensor for the DSC is NOT under any sheetmetal, it's under the carpet, behind the e-brake. Check your Bentley Manual, since you haven't lifted your carpet before.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 AM
jlm
6th Gear
gee, thanks for your helpful and friendly addition.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
Holy Cats!!!

I can't think of anything else to say. -Jeffy.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Where are you based?

If you're near someone with BiM-COM, you can get the car scanned to look for error codes in the sub-systems, or if you're near a Mini service center, maybe they will scan you for a small diagnostic fee. But that should point you in the right direction, and maybe give a hint about how much needs to be spent.....

Just a thought.

Matt

Old 11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
I really just want to do what the DSC disengage switch does...

Without having to toggle the switch. Sometimes the light comes on and stays on just turning the key. So.. What wires are involved with the disconnect switch? Hey, really- I want to control my own slide, not the computer having all the fun! -Jeffy.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
?? a MINI without dsc

you could trade and get a MINI w/out DSC. I just bought one without DSC figuring I would spend the $500 bucks saved on 3 driving schools, but... I still have the ASC, which just shuts down power completely if wheel spin is determined. That is dangerous in my opinion pulling out into traffic and hitting some sand for example. This happened once with a speeding SUV coming toward the side of my car. Pulling the fuse does disable abs also, so you don't want to lose ABS.... I mostly drive with the ASC disabled, and will use ASC in snow or conditions I want to avoid accidently spinning the wheels... Too bad the switch isn't reverseable meaning the DSC or ASC for that matter, isn't activated unless the driver of the vehicle wants it functioning..

Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Ian's circuit is ideal for what you're after. For ~$50 and 15 minutes of your life you're done with the DSC from then on. Assuming the circuit gets put back into production, that is.

/gary

Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
You're on thin ice here.

Without having to toggle the switch. Sometimes the light comes on and stays on just turning the key. So.. What wires are involved with the disconnect switch? Hey, really- I want to control my own slide, not the computer having all the fun! -Jeffy.
Just turning off the DCS without finding out why it is intermittant is a recipe for a potential disaster. The DSC system in intimatly entertwined with the control and operation of you car and it's safety systems. But to each his own......

But there is a plus side to the DSC. You can use it as a coach. I live in hills, and when I first got the car, the DSC cut in a LOT!!!! But now I can push the car harder and smoother, sometimes to the point of slight 4 wheel drift, and the DSC doesn't do a thing. This is because I used it's intervention as an indicator for how smooth I was. Now I drive with the DCS on all the time, and it never cuts in unless it's really needed.

Also, the MTH upgrade makes the DSC much less invasive, it acts like a reduction in power, not a total "Oh My God, I'm gonna die!" because it cuts power when you really need it.

Matt

Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
Well put

Matt,

Very well put. My feelings exactly. Wish more people were willing to learn and less willing to complain and resist. The same situation with me until I started thinking about my driving and then no problems.

I now use Ian's option these days. Don't use MINI on the roads much any more. Have built is primarily as a track car. Ian's option just makes it a little easier to start up and go on track days and not have to remember too many more things when I am trying to stay on the road.

Cheers,

John Petrich in Seattle

Old 11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
I second that last...

You gave me some stuff I can use. I've been wanting MTH anyway, and the power cut is a real issue in the big city. I am averse to relying on electronics to save me from myself, because it can fail right when I'm in the middle of it. I don't want to get used to crutches or training wheels, especially when they are prone to break. -Jeffy.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:38 PM
jlm
6th Gear
apparently my post PO'd one reader (guess who?) enough to PM me this:

"Apparently, just like Andy and macncheese, you're not interested in providing accurate information. Good goin slick! "

gasp!, here is the correction:
"The gyro sensor for the DSC is NOT under any sheetmetal, it's under the carpet, behind the e-brake. Check your Bentley Manual, since you haven't lifted your carpet before."

Old 11-05-2005, 04:44 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Heaven forbid someone try to correct misinformation. At least you went back and updated your original post.

oh wait...

Old 11-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
How about this...

What if I use Ian's instructions to find out which wires are involved with the disengage switch and configure them to the disengage position? My theory is that this would only affect the DSC and not the other functions such as ABS. I never have gotten an ABS light on, or any others, so the only thing seemingly ailing is DSC. If I turn the key on with the DSC disengaged, will the self test that the system does when you start the car show a failure of DSC, since it never engaged, or, will my idea work, provided I configure the wiring correctly? This situation reminds me of the ground effects quandry of F1 years back- they were afraid of the drivers losing the car if ground effects components were compromised. I don't want my car to become one with a tree when DSC fails mid-turn. For me, no DSC. -Jeffy.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Don't think it will work...

What if I use Ian's instructions to find out which wires are involved with the disengage switch and configure them to the disengage position? My theory is that this would only affect the DSC and not the other functions such as ABS. I never have gotten an ABS light on, or any others, so the only thing seemingly ailing is DSC. If I turn the key on with the DSC disengaged, will the self test that the system does when you start the car show a failure of DSC, since it never engaged, or, will my idea work, provided I configure the wiring correctly? This situation reminds me of the ground effects quandry of F1 years back- they were afraid of the drivers losing the car if ground effects components were compromised. I don't want my car to become one with a tree when DSC fails mid-turn. For me, no DSC. -Jeffy.
All the stuff runs off of information busses. It's like booting a computer. The computer turns the stuff on when you start the car. But I really, really think you should take the little effort to get your car scanned, to see if a sick subsystem is causing your symptoms. Then using Ians circuit would be a perfect fix for you.

Matt

Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Jeffy
2nd Gear
Thanks for your input...

I'll take your advise, Matt. If I have an '02 model, made in Munich, do I get the 50,000 mile warranty? I thought they mentioned I have it the last (and only) time I had work done on the car. -Jeffy.