Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension M7 Under Strut System

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 12:49 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
I'm going USS, one-ball, and change the exhaust tips -- performance AND bling
I did the one ball first, then put in the USS. Then I added the Upper Strut support bar and reinforcing plates. WOW .

Old 07-09-2007 | 12:50 PM
succubus
3rd Gear
So, will the USS work on my '06 JCW MCSa?

Old 07-09-2007 | 12:51 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by abuzavi
You know, this thread had been quiet for 4 months when I posted my comment yesterday.

How did it go from zero is pissing-fest in one damn day?
Adults acting like kids .

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:12 PM
jeffc2
2nd Gear
I have mine on with the Alta 2.5 and not one problem. Thanks Randy and M7.

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:49 PM
trackster
5th Gear
<---- is waiting for proof from M7 that a USS + Borla or Magnaflow car is faster in any way than a car with no USS and Alta or Milltek exhausts. [/quote]

They would really not have a hard time with this one actually. If you take the real world hp increase of any of the exhaust systems out there you will be around the 7 hp mark, 10 at best. from what has been posted on NAM there is no argument that the owners of the car with rare exception have found improved handling. I myself have driven a USS equipped car and it works . If it didn't bump me to another class I would have gladly spent the money and put one on myself . There is no way a 10 hp ,at most, increase in power will get you to the finish line faster than a car with this much of a handling improvement.

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:49 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Adults acting like kids .
no, not quite. Just making sure people remember caveat emptor with respect to the USS. I too was an M7 fanboi until I met the guys in person and was patronized about the issue. To date, I've not been given one bit of constructive help on getting the USS to fit with the Milltek or Alta on either of my two MINI's. Just read this exact thread...there's mention of some 'super-secret' method but M7 won't post it publicly. In the absence of them doing so for all to read, I'm going with the obvious answer that their solution is adding washers under the USS to space it out from the resonator. Please, M7...correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-09-2007 | 01:50 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
that was my thought as well but leave it to M7 to throw a jab in when they can. That's ok.....I designed the 'solution' for them (see pic above of the patented M7 washer), but they declined to admit this is their 'fix' for users of 'off-brand' exhausts.

<---- is waiting for proof from M7 that a USS + Borla or Magnaflow car is faster in any way than a car with no USS and Alta or Milltek exhausts.
Here is my .02,. People spend money on modifing their cars, some work, some don't. Then they complain about what they did, " it's too noisy, it's too stiff, not stiff enough, it does'nt fit right...ect...ect...ect" Why do you think a new car is so expensive? Because the original manufacture spent millions of dollars on R&D of every part they used on it. That is why most all the time original is always better, " i'm going to get torn up on that comment,lol ". But I belive it's true. If you want your car to run as quiet, smooth, and reliable as it was new, then don't MODIFY it.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:34 PM
PGT
Banned
wow....thanks for the advice. I had no idea that was the case. </sarcasm>

one would expect the USS to clear the OEM cat if M7 was doing a competent design job. It did not on either of my MINI's. Admittedly, the position of the OEM cat is affected by the aftermarket exhaust to some degree but on both of my installs, the USS hit both the Milltek resonator, the Alta resonator and the OEM cats of both cars. Altering the USS design to accomodate the top five exhaust brands wouldn't affect it's performance, at least from this layman's perspective.

Good design = no fitment issues for the majority of people. Perhaps I'm in the 1%...that's ok...I've spent more than $20k over the last two years on aftermarket car parts for my vehicles (two MINI's, a Subaru and an Infiniti). I'd spend money on M7 parts again had I gotten competent support from them on my issues. I'm happy to spend money elsewhere...I vote with my wallet and it's done my well so far.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:39 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
wow....thanks for the advice. I had no idea that was the case. </sarcasm>

one would expect the USS to clear the OEM cat if M7 was doing a competent design job. It did not on either of my MINI's. Admittedly, the position of the OEM cat is affected by the aftermarket exhaust to some degree but on both of my installs, the USS hit both the Milltek resonator, the Alta resonatorand the OEM cats of both cars. Altering the USS design to accomodate the top five exhaust brands wouldn't affect it's performance, at least from this layman's perspective.

Good design = no fitment issues for the majority of people. Perhaps I'm in the 1%...that's ok...I've spent more than $20k over the last two years on aftermarket car parts for my vehicles (two MINI's, a Subaru and an Infiniti). I'd spend money on M7 parts again had I gotten competent support from them on my issues. I'm happy to spend money elsewhere...I vote with my wallet and it's done my well so far.
Your welcome , anytime.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:40 PM
succubus
3rd Gear
so what about figment with JCW exhaust?

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:41 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PGT
<---- is waiting for proof from M7 that a USS + Borla or Magnaflow car is faster in any way than a car with no USS and Alta or Milltek exhausts.
USS+borla/magna = 5-10 hp and a stiff chassis which handles better than stock

No-USS + alta/ucc = 5-10 hp and a less stiff chassis

Seems pretty logical

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:44 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Your welcome , anytime.

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Seems pretty logical
logical != absolute reality

Besides.....5hp isn't a noticable difference in measured performance. Your butt dyno is merely adjusting to the lighter weight of your wallet.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:49 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by maxmini
I know that our local shop , which does between 4 and 8 systems a week is on a Miltec kick at the moment. He was big on Borla for a few years , then Magnaflow and now Miltec.

Randy
M7 Tuning
LOL....as a vendor, at least learn to spell MILLTEK!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:50 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PGT
Besides.....5hp isn't a noticable difference in measured performance. Your butt dyno is merely adjusting to the lighter weight of your wallet.
Totally agree...which is why it doesn't matter which company made your exhaust....be it magnaflow or alta. So the only difference between the two cars would be the USS which many people have said offers great stability on the track and street. It's not absolute proof.....but it seems good enough

also, tests/numbers != absolute reality

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 07-09-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2007 | 03:52 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by 03Indigo

... and convertible.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:52 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by 03Indigo

it's an off-brand Jon....not worthy of proper speeling

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:55 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT

Well he wouldn't even say ALTA so that must really be off Brand stuff huh?

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:56 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Totally agree...which is why it doesn't matter which company made your exhaust....be it magnaflow or alta. So the only difference between the two cars would be the USS which many people have said offers great stability on the track and street. It's not absolute proof.....but it seems good enough
well....I believe the price isn't the same on the two brands (could be mistaken here), so it would matter. I paid $200 for my Alta (brand new), so I'm not that beat up about this though I would have appreciated full disclosure from M7 about the fitment issues prior to discovering them on my own. The USS did make a noticable difference on the Cabrio....notsomuch on the Coupe.

The other unspoken issue is the decrease on ground clearance by adding a USS, especially a concern on lowered cars.

Originally Posted by ChrisW
Well he wouldn't even say ALTA so that must really be off Brand stuff huh?
Alta's parent company Perrin is a dirty word in my home. See my note above about the cost of my exhaust....the only reason I've put anything else from that company on any of my cars. Perrin (and many aftermarket companies for that matter) have a nasty tendency to use their retail paying customers as beta testers for fitment. Not cool.

Last edited by PGT; 07-09-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2007 | 03:57 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by PGT
ROFLMAO....

Old 07-09-2007 | 04:05 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by PGT
Alta's parent company Perrin is a dirty word in my home. See my note above about the cost of my exhaust....the only reason I've put anything else from that company on any of my cars. Perrin (and many aftermarket companies for that matter) have a nasty tendency to use their retail paying customers as beta testers for fitment. Not cool.
agreed
Perrin = poopoo

Old 07-09-2007 | 09:09 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Another thread turned into a WHINE fest .

Old 07-10-2007 | 01:31 AM
daflake
6th Gear
NAM is getting better than Jerry Springer!

Old 07-10-2007 | 01:41 AM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
yes, quit your whining. if you cant figure it out that it need clearanced and cant do it your self , send it to a mechanic that can. it is not rocket science.
quit whining and look to make a solution. the manufacurer makes parts to fit stock cars and cant look at all possible modifications. i have had a vibration issue with my uss and a jcw car with resonatorectomy. problem solved with a little creative thinking. quit whining and use your head.

Old 07-10-2007 | 04:52 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Thank you, minichef.

Old 07-10-2007 | 05:45 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by MINICHEF
yes, quit your whining. if you cant figure it out that it need clearanced and cant do it your self , send it to a mechanic that can. it is not rocket science.
quit whining and look to make a solution. the manufacurer makes parts to fit stock cars and cant look at all possible modifications. i have had a vibration issue with my uss and a jcw car with resonatorectomy. problem solved with a little creative thinking. quit whining and use your head.
this is such a demeaning tone you take, it's hardly worthy of a response. if I had not tried to make it work, I wouldn't be here stating my experience. Whining....no....not even close. I'm quite a capable mechanic...I have the proper tools.....yet.....the USS didn't work for me on two different cars (even removing LOTS of USS to try and have proper clearance). Heck....I even have a lift at my disposal to spend countless hours trying to make it work. In the end, the benefits of the USS don't outweigh the PITA it is to deal with on anything but a stock car. What customer who buys a USS owns a stock car?

Quick Reply: Suspension M7 Under Strut System