Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension M7 SRP= No Mushrooms

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 06:42 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saifa
M7;
I'd rather get the complete strut tower bar than just the SRP's. Will there be any fitment issues with the following: KW Variant 2 and RDR camber plates.

Also does the bar have clearance for K&N intake and the Unichip.

Seann

Good questions . There will be no issues with the KW's and RDR's as I beleive they use the stock bolt hole locations. If ,for example, the bolts were of a larger diameter then of course the bar would need to be modified accordingly but I do not think that is the case here. As for the K&N and the Unichip you should also be fine there as well.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxmini
Good questions . There will be no issues with the KW's and RDR's as I beleive they use the stock bolt hole locations. If ,for example, the bolts were of a larger diameter then of course the bar would need to be modified accordingly but I do not think that is the case here. As for the K&N and the Unichip you should also be fine there as well.Randy
M7 Tuning

Hi Randy
how about the strut bar and an ALTA CAI?
is there any clearance issues?

The other thing that keeps me on the fence from ordering is
the comments regarding the bonnet being raised slightly in certain parts
showing a gap when the bonnet is closed
the only solution as far as I know (this is what I've read)
is to take out the under bonnet felt material or thin it out
in order for the bonnet to close flush just like stock.

could you please clarify this?
if there are any issues at all?

I can't wait to order your black strut bar,
the understrut system and the catch can.
But,
I need to be 100% certain before ordering the bar

BTW
I have a 05 MCS Cabrio
just in case there are any fitting differences
between model years and between hard top and cabrio.

thanks for the help
regards,
Charles

Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mastersonics
Hi Randy
how about the strut bar and an ALTA CAI?
is there any clearance issues?

The other thing that keeps me on the fence from ordering is
the comments regarding the bonnet being raised slightly in certain parts
showing a gap when the bonnet is closed
the only solution as far as I know (this is what I've read)
is to take out the under bonnet felt material or thin it out
in order for the bonnet to close flush just like stock.

could you please clarify this?
if there are any issues at all?

I can't wait to order your black strut bar,
the understrut system and the catch can.
But,
I need to be 100% certain before ordering the bar

BTW
I have a 05 MCS Cabrio
just in case there are any fitting differences
between model years and between hard top and cabrio.

thanks for the help
regards,
Charles

Ok so lets see. With the Alta If there is a issue it would require only notching the metal " box " not a big deal. I had to do the same thing with my BMP brace and the Piper cross Viper back in the day. This may not even be necessary and I am sure there are some owners around that have already made that happen so perhaps they could chime in.
As for the fitment issues again I can use my car as an example. My bar always made contact with the lining and lifted the rear of my hood about 1/4 inch. No one ever noticed it but I knew it was like that. I have put about 45k miles on the car in this configuration. A few have removed the liner in that area, some have wet the material to help it compress. I never saw it as a problem and maybe even a benefit if any hot air was able to escape out the thin crack after I parked the car. So in summation let me say that there may be a fitment issue at the rear of the hood on some cars but nothing that has not been accepted since 2002 with some of the most popular tower braces in the market place. I have experimented with 4 different braces since I have had the car . Two lifted the rear to some degree and 2 did not. Of the four the two that lifted the hood worked the best from a handling standpoint. I have yet to put our own on the car as we keep selling them out before I can get a sample.
I know I have not given you any real concrete answers but I am trying to tell you like it is as best I can. As with many aftermarket parts for the Mini your results may vary. Rest assured if you have a fitment issue that you can not live with we will be sure to take care of you.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Ok so lets see. With the Alta If there is a issue it would require only notching the metal " box " not a big deal. I had to do the same thing with my BMP brace and the Piper cross Viper back in the day. This may not even be necessary and I am sure there are some owners around that have already made that happen so perhaps they could chime in.
As for the fitment issues again I can use my car as an example. My bar always made contact with the lining and lifted the rear of my hood about 1/4 inch. No one ever noticed it but I knew it was like that. I have put about 45k miles on the car in this configuration. A few have removed the liner in that area, some have wet the material to help it compress. I never saw it as a problem and maybe even a benefit if any hot air was able to escape out the thin crack after I parked the car. So in summation let me say that there may be a fitment issue at the rear of the hood on some cars but nothing that has not been accepted since 2002 with some of the most popular tower braces in the market place. I have experimented with 4 different braces since I have had the car . Two lifted the rear to some degree and 2 did not. Of the four the two that lifted the hood worked the best from a handling standpoint. I have yet to put our own on the car as we keep selling them out before I can get a sample.
I know I have not given you any real concrete answers but I am trying to tell you like it is as best I can. As with many aftermarket parts for the Mini your results may vary. Rest assured if you have a fitment issue that you can not live with we will be sure to take care of you.
Randy
M7 Tuning

Hi Randy
I appreciate your honesty on the matter
I'm very very tempted to buy it
when you'll be getting the black ones?

regards,
Charles

Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mastersonics
Hi Randy
I appreciate your honesty on the matter
I'm very very tempted to buy it
when you'll be getting the black ones?

regards,
Charles

We will be getting the black STB's in less than 3 weeks at this point. I would give Peter ( 562 712 3270 ) a call directly as he has started a pre order list. Thanks for the interest .

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 02-23-2006, 01:27 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey Randy how ya been?

tha liner issue is not a big deal i had mentioned on another thread that i had wet mine to help it compress a bit, it helped a bunch but i now since then found another remedy.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
Can anyone tell me if the Alta CAI will have to be modified a lot in order to fit the strut bar? I ordered the black m7 but forgot to check b4 hand about the clereance or possible modification.
thanks guys

Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
BLIZZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Will @ M7 Tuning
It's an interesting concept. My feeling is that you would gain strength equal to the bond created, since if overstressed the bond would release. I'm not familiar with the adhesives, so I can't comment on the strength, but perhaps you could? The simulation was run with the only bonded points being the three bolts.
Will pm'd you.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fdavid
Can anyone tell me if the Alta CAI will have to be modified a lot in order to fit the strut bar? I ordered the black m7 but forgot to check b4 hand about the clereance or possible modification.
thanks guys
I don't think that there will be a issue with the ALta unit. At the VERY most you may need to notch the metal " box " .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
I don't think that there will be a issue with the ALta unit. At the VERY most you may need to notch the metal " box " .
Randy
M7 Tuning
Yikes! sorry Randy. I just noticed that you gave a full explanation two lines before my post.
thanks for the info and the patience of course

Old 02-23-2006, 10:34 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fdavid
Yikes! sorry Randy. I just noticed that you gave a full explanation two lines before my post.
thanks for the info and the patience of course
No worries , it's my yob

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-24-2006, 02:10 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Randy, Add me to the list for pre-ordered strut brace in BLACK.

I'll call you Monday to give you the Credit Card & shipping info.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:59 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by apexer
Randy, Add me to the list for pre-ordered strut brace in BLACK.

I'll call you Monday to give you the Credit Card & shipping info.
No problem ! We have people standing by to take your information. Isn't that how they say it on TV?

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-28-2006, 04:30 AM
saifa
4th Gear
M7;
My wife surprised me with a Mini Mania strut bar for valentines day. With all the concerns about mushrooming i would really like to beef my towers. I have tried to sell my existing bar but no buyers. Do you know if I purchased your SRP would the bolts be long enough to put this bar on top? My bar's mount bracket is ~1/8" to 3/16" thick roughly. It uses the same bolt pattern as the SRP.

Thanks

Seann

Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by saifa
M7;
My wife surprised me with a Mini Mania strut bar for valentines day. With all the concerns about mushrooming i would really like to beef my towers. I have tried to sell my existing bar but no buyers. Do you know if I purchased your SRP would the bolts be long enough to put this bar on top? My bar's mount bracket is ~1/8" to 3/16" thick roughly. It uses the same bolt pattern as the SRP.

Thanks

Seann

Unfortunatly you can not run any bar on top of the SRP . The bolts are not long enough and you would come into hood clearance issues with the bar. Perhaps give EBAY a shot with your bar ?

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 03-01-2006, 06:44 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the M7 guys:
Are the SRPs easy to install? In other words, can I just remove the current bolts, slap the SRP on, and put the bolts back on? Or does it require more work/effort....?

Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
take off the nuts, slap the SRP on, a drop of medium locktite on the threads,
and reinstall the nuts with the correct torque....done.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Put SRPs on tonight - Good thing

I got the SRP to keep from having mushrooming problems, good thing I did.
I put the passenger side on with no issues. Drivers side already had some mushroom. The SRP pulled down easy, but good thing I got them.

PS - M7 service is great. I has a very small problem and they treated me better than I would even have requested. You want to buy from these guys!

Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I received my SRPs today - thanks M7

I've got to say, thanks for the great service and fast shipping!! Also for calling back even though I didn't leave a message - I found that to be really impressive.

You've got a loyal customer here!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind words, we do appreciate it.......

Sincerely

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Okay, so I went back and looked for a post, but I couldn't find it. I recall reading something about M7 releasing something at AMVIV that will be revolutionary or something. Will it have anything to do with the reinforcement plates or strut tower brace? Better? I wouldn't want to buy either of them and then sell them to buy your new product.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep on guessing, but no new STB or SRP.....maybe a DFIC or a V-Flow-MC
or

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 03-07-2006, 11:09 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Keep on guessing, but no new STB or SRP.....maybe a DFIC or a V-Flow-MC
or

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123
That's engine stuff right, Intercooler? As long as it doesn't become obsolete, I'm okay with it.

By the way, you guys are up late.

Will this cause mushrooms? The background story is here.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 AM
-Jonathan-
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
That's engine stuff right, Intercooler? As long as it doesn't become obsolete, I'm okay with it.

By the way, you guys are up late.

Will this cause mushrooms? The background story is here.
Hmm...yeah... I'm new to this mushrooming thing. Would something like that cause mushrooms? I'll only be driving my MINI on normal streets roads and will do my best to avoid big bumps at high speeds. Do I really need this thing to protect against mushrooms?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
I just put my STB on and it's awesome. My drivers side had already mushroomed a bit but it was quickly adjusted with a few hammers and some different pieces of wood. Bolted up nice and proper and yes, a very distinct difference

I would suggest either the SRP or the STB if you A) Run 17s (or 18s!) or B) Live where the roads are crappy. I will run the S-lites until the run-flats that the PO bought wear out, and I live in SE Michigan, home of some of the worst roads that I've even seen Not a minute too late for the STB!

Quick Reply: Suspension M7 SRP= No Mushrooms