Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Urgent help needed!!!...Megan Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:44 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
been watching the thread all day. nope. i want my 1050.00 back. go with a set of KWs/hr/tein instead.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im starting to think the same thing. if they can get this taken care of quickly and have them perform like they say they do then i would like to stay with them. obv when ur putting out a new product their sometimes needs to be changes like with the rears a little while back. i just want to know that their on this, i spent 1000 dollars on these. they should work right, no?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Megan Racing
Vendor
Wow this goes quick.

Okay first off, these aren't a rebadged generic set that wasn't designed for the Mini. What I meant by not having a hand in the initial design was that another company which I'd rather not mention at the time approached us with the idea of making dampers and offered their design insights. For those of you who remember the begginings of this damper, you'll know who I'm talking about.

Second, at this point we cannot offer a Buy-Back on the suspension. We're quickly working on the replacements and immediately once a set gets out there, the others will be shipped.

We don't want to really shorten the length of the shock body itself because in doing so you'll reduce the ride-height capabilities. We really don't want to hamper the ability to lower the car as much as we could before.

The extended shock piston is 30mm as well as the spring. With the weight of the car on the piston it will actually settle into the proper height that it should of been at before. I know the Mini Cooper is a very picky car in terms of handling because of the layout and geometry of the suspension.. don't think that we're not looking at this from every angle and "tinkering" with things without thinking them through from a performance standpoint.

A lot of assumptions are being made here, and it's not really helping with the progress of improvment. It's great that everyone has a voice here, but I'd like to keep this moving forward and not sitting and casting stones at one another.

As consumers, I understand your concerns and standpoints. I understand your desire to have this corrected ASAP. Know that we're working on this issue as fast as humanly possible.. and then some.

I'm here to help you guys... give you guys results, not excuses.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
thanks for your quick response. may i volunteer for the first set?? or atleast how do i get on the list for a revised set? keep up the goodwork.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Megan Racing
Vendor
First set goes to the person who brought this issue up to us. Which is Everardo.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 PM
jammin636
3rd Gear
that would make sense. lucky jerk. jk. how would one get a new set once they come out?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:15 PM
meb
6th Gear
Technically speaking, a 5g spring is a 5g spring is a 5g spring. Materials and heat treating determine how long a 5g springs remains a 5g spring.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
Technically speaking, a 5g spring is a 5g spring is a 5g spring. Materials and heat treating determine how long a 5g springs remains a 5g spring.
The guy in my fav local shop always checks springs before he installs them. What's the device, a spring dyno? Whatever. Anyway, he said for street cars if the rate varies more than 2% side to side on the same axle he won't install them. The springs on my Megans tested at something less than .15% variation.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
just a follow up for anyone interested, i measured the actual compression untill the bump stop was hit. actual travel from sitting ride height to bump stop is just a smidge less that .5".

that is on a 05 with a sunroof and premium.

how soon for replacement front dampers? i waited over a month for the last batch of coilovers to come in, i assume we are going to be waiting the same length here too...

Old 08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Now you guys tell me...

Well, mines set at 11 from full hard and have not experienced bottoming out as been reported. However, I have had a strange phenomena that I'm still trying to figure out...I've applied "torque seal" to all the nuts and threads to warn against loosening of critical parts and have found my front struts to be rotating under use I've tightened the shock lock down nut but the center shaft is still slowly rotating clockwise...a few degrees every several hundred miles... I'm concerned that my weight cornering is being changed if the the height is lowering by themselves...

Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
i would also be interested in hearing of any owners of the D2 coilovers for the mini, part #D2-A21 are having any issues with this also.

from the looks of the d2s, megan and them share an overseas manufacturer.

anyone out there running a set from d2? Any problems?

www.d2racing.com

from a sentra:

Old 08-25-2006, 04:03 PM
cyclingFrenzy
Neutral
And just think....I was about to buy the Megans......anything wrong with Koni's?

Frenzy

Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Just a note to those who have purchased Megan Coilovers from OutMotoring.com: I have been working with Steve directly regarding this issue and I have confidence that it is being handled aggressively and he is doing his best to resolve these issues asap. We apologize for any hassles caused and ask that anyone who is having these issues work directly with Steve and CC us so we can help follow up with any issues in a timely manner. It is my understanding that new front shocks and spring rates are being confirmed in which case new (replacement) front units will ship in 2 weeks. I know this is quite frustrating and we, and Megan Racing, appreciate your patience. While we are not associated with MR, other than as a vendor, we want the best resolution for this issue and for our customers.

Please note we believed this product to have ironed out over the many months between it's introduction and the time we added them to our line, but this issue was not known and therefore was not addressed.

Steve is doing his best to get this fixed and now has a MINI of his own so future product can be more thoroughly tested before it is released.

best,

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
We currently offer the KONI and HR coilover sets along with the Megan Racing units. Both of which have outstanding reputations.

http://www.outmotoring.com/suspension.html

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 08-26-2006, 10:10 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
that good their gettin right on this. two weeks till new ones ship out isnt that bad at all. hope that actually holds

Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Megan Racing
First set goes to the person who brought this issue up to us. Which is Everardo.
Thanks for that Steve, and just so you know that after speaking with you on the phone a couple of day ago, I feel comfortable that this issue will be resolved in a manner in which everyone will be happy with.

Two weeks to have a solution to a problem that was completely unknown to everyone is reasonable. imo. As you are well aware, some of us including myself, are very impatient and want a resolution "yesterday". In this case, as others have pointed out, the mini requires a bit more R&D and I would rather you take more time to make sure the new set-up is operating properly instead of finding other flaws later.

Having said that, I will just shut-up and let the "brains" do the working. But, please keep us informed of the progress as there is nothing worse than waiting for the delivery date and the baby never shows up and then you really wonder if there was ever a baby...

Old 08-26-2006, 05:45 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Megans so I'm glad I waited. If I wait for good reviews on the update to the fronts, then place my order, what are the chances of getting the new stuff, or old stock. I was planning on going through these guys:

http://www.optionimports.com/meracokitmic.html

Old 08-27-2006, 12:48 PM
meb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by defylogik
just a follow up for anyone interested, i measured the actual compression untill the bump stop was hit. actual travel from sitting ride height to bump stop is just a smidge less that .5".

that is on a 05 with a sunroof and premium.

how soon for replacement front dampers? i waited over a month for the last batch of coilovers to come in, i assume we are going to be waiting the same length here too...
pretty much what I have...

Old 08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
So what's the warranty issue at hand here? Is Megan planning on replacing all Mini struts that were sold recently? What about mine which were purchased from Pilo only a few months ago?

Old 08-27-2006, 04:27 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
anyone checked the travel in the rear of the car also? i can tommorow if anyone wants it.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by defylogik
anyone checked the travel in the rear of the car also? i can tommorow if anyone wants it.
I think that's a great idea. Although, I haven't had any trouble with bottoming out it would be good to confirm travel. Let us know your findings.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 AM
technoticmedia
1st Gear
Actually, we just installed a set up megan racing coilovers that we got directly from Steve, and install went flawlessly. No initial problems yet, but the car hasn't been aligned and the settings are at full soft all around.

We set the spring preload off the car, by making them a 1/4 turn past when the spring can't move up and down anymore. Then we set the ride height 1.5" lower than stock in the front and 1.25" lower in the rear. Everything seems ok right now, so I'll have to post back when we get some miles on it.

Megan rear lateral arms going on tomorrow!

Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 AM
meb
6th Gear
Let me add something to this thread.

As many of you know, I supported Megan, and still do. A few of you made purchases based upon my evaluation. However, it was impossible for me to fully evaluate the Megans on or off the track due to a number of bad setups by others. By the time I corrected these less than professional adjustments, I had 12,000 hard commuting miles and and 5 track days on the Megans. An evaluation at this point would have been unfair.

The suspension travel have been an on ongoing problem and not until LRP a few weeks ago did I fully realize how it was affecting the handling of my car - I had a good setup at that point. As I wrote under Driving Schools, I had to dial in a lot of rebound to keep the dampers from contacting the bumpstops. Once the damper makes contact with a non-dual rate type bumpstop, the suspension will not work and a slide will begin.

I have faith that Steve, and, Megan will remedy this. I will go on record here asking Steve and Megan to make the correction a long term fix; although this body style is being replaced, a short term solution will affect future sales with the new body. I understand the cost point behind the Megans and the lure of a quick fix. A proper fix will only help to strengthen image and reputation. And I challenge Megan to work with individuals whom have already purchased this kit so they can continue to enjoy this unique product.

Michael

Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
So what's the warranty issue at hand here? Is Megan planning on replacing all Mini struts that were sold recently? What about mine which were purchased from Pilo only a few months ago?
Bump?

Old 08-28-2006, 11:03 AM
meb
6th Gear
Steve,

Why not consider a bumpstop redesign too? I actually began to focus on this part just before this thread began. In a design whos metal spring and bumpstop are designed together, the two, in some cases, actually touch one another while at rest. Adding piston length is fine, but I also think the bumpstop deserves a little attention...

I know I wrote this here earlier...and let it go. I think there is an opportunity here.

Quick Reply: Suspension Urgent help needed!!!...Megan Coilovers