Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Urgent help needed!!!...Megan Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:42 AM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
Yes, exactly. And no, this was not part of my instructions. I was concerned with maintaining the spring rates...
Does that mean the shaft doesn't extend far enough to allow setting the lower perch at the top of the threads, without adding extra preload?

Sorry for all the uninformed comments/questions but I don't have these yet because I'm waiting for the outcome of this issue.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
..... you guys are going to blow these things up...

Old 09-05-2006, 06:13 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan,
any progress with these? the curioius as to what changes have been solidified. thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled
..... you guys are going to blow these things up...
i hope so! lol. well i hope we get new front struts before then. like i said in the past on this post, that increasing the spring pre-load isnt the answer. it is the answer for 2 weeks untill i get new fixed struts though.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
been a while, do we have a solution for these yet??

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
completely random, but BOY am I glad I decided to go H&R!!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm in line as well...

Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Steve any updates on this? I think eveyone is anxious for an update. I know I am.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Megan Racing
Vendor
Originally Posted by AZMCS
completely random, but BOY am I glad I decided to go H&R!!
Congratulations!!

As for the solution...

Right now I'm just waiting for the shocks and springs to come in to offer the replacements to everyone.

I don't want to get into a situation where I don't have enough to supply to everyone. And then it becomes a "why did he get the replacements before I did?!" thing going on.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Great news, Steve. Thanks for the update and I will be impatiently waiting.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Megan Racing
Vendor
Man, they already shipped out the next set of MC dampers, with the Origional fronts... means I'm gonna have to change them all out one-by-one. Anyway, yah, the test replacment is coming and will be here shortly. When I get a stronger ETA, I will let you guys know.

Just know that I'm working on this as best I can. As a MCS owner, this is important to me.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
cool just let us know when u want us to email u are info. im sure u were gonna tell us when the eta gets closer anyways.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Megan Racing
Congratulations!!

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I haven't had to touch my H&R's since they went on, can your customers say the same..opps!

No I see they can't.

Good luck, and good job on earning any future business

Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AZMCS
Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I haven't had to touch my H&R's since they went on, can your customers say the same..opps!

No I see they can't.

Good luck, and good job on earning any future business
lol. ...

Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 AM
defylogik
5th Gear
2 days away from a month since this problem arose. are we any closer to a solution??

I have been thinking about this a bit , and a wont a longer shock piston make it harder to install the strut assembly? i had a hell of a time finageling it into the lower mounts on the front, and a longer overall piston length will make it harder am i correct? i am thinking this due to the piston being full extended when there is no weight on it due to the pressure in the strut.

i have a feeling we are going to have to pop the wheel hubs from the control arm for this install. (which = time, money, and tools).

so anyways status?

Old 09-18-2006, 10:45 AM
meb
6th Gear
...if the stock struts fit...

The lower ball joint is supposed to be removed so that the control can swing down far enough. This is very easy; remove the ball joint nut, place a very long prybar thru the wishbone portion of the arm so it catches the subframe and have an individual apply light pressure to the bar while you give the control arm an assertive tap on the side. It wall fall right out. This adds about 10 minutes to each side including reinstall.

The amount of pressure applied to the bar is relative to the length of the bar. My bar is 6' long, so not a lot of pressure.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 AM
meb
6th Gear
Megan has a fix...

The dampers cannot be altered.

So, a slightly longer (8kg/mm) 460# spring will be used along with a shorter bumpstop.

This will require some swaybar adjusments and perhaps a few other tweaks.

Mine are on the way and as soon as they arrive I'll install and give a report here, as Steve asked.

Last edited by meb; 09-19-2006 at 05:30 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-19-2006, 05:34 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by meb
Mine are on the way and as soon as they arrive I'll install and give a report here, as Steve asked.
Does that mean the new struts are in and coming to the rest of us?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
..... 460# spring .....
460 in the front and 335 in the rear =

Originally Posted by meb
This will require some swaybar adjusments and perhaps a few other tweaks.
The swaybar is easy, it's the "other tweaks" I'm worried about, plus adjustment to a harsher ride.

I guess I'm in the "anxiously awaiting an objective assessment" camp.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:59 AM
jammin636
3rd Gear
i thought the front were pretty easy to install. and shoudl the spring rates be so different??? i guess im waiting for this report of these changes too.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
meb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Does that mean the new struts are in and coming to the rest of us?
I'm guessing so Sid. I was on the phone with Steve yesterday - the first time I actually shared a conversation with Steve regarding front dampers short stroke. During this conversation he told me about the fix and that he was sending 'stuff' out.

May I suggest you call him?

A 100# difference is not really a bad thing...in some ways it's better. I do have comfort concerns as well; a 460# spring is not a bad thing in and of itself. The realtionship to the damper is important...

Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Fix...?

Uhmmm!!?? You mean to say that after 4 weeks of waiting and numerous discussions about the right approach to solving this issue, Megan came up with a solution that is in fact the same as my suggestion originally posted only a few days after discovering the problem? I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing as it might show Megan's lack of resourcefulness or unwillingness to commit any more financial resources to cure the problem. Because as we all know, anything can be made or altered, it just takes money and this point does not get lost on me (trust me). I would hope that it simply means that Megan tested out all possible avenues and this was by far the best solution...??

So, STEVE, when can we expect to start receiving the replacement parts and are new instructions going to be included suggesting the "other" tweeks as MEB pointed out?

Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
meb
6th Gear
'other' tweaks are alignment settings etc - nothing to do with the physical Megans.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Megan Racing
Vendor
Originally Posted by brownflyer
Uhmmm!!?? You mean to say that after 4 weeks of waiting and numerous discussions about the right approach to solving this issue, Megan came up with a solution that is in fact the same as my suggestion originally posted only a few days after discovering the problem? I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing as it might show Megan's lack of resourcefulness or unwillingness to commit any more financial resources to cure the problem. Because as we all know, anything can be made or altered, it just takes money and this point does not get lost on me (trust me). I would hope that it simply means that Megan tested out all possible avenues and this was by far the best solution...??

So, STEVE, when can we expect to start receiving the replacement parts and are new instructions going to be included suggesting the "other" tweeks as MEB pointed out?
Lack of resourcefulness or unwilling to commit?! Seriously?!

We've been going through NUMEROUS possibilities and methods to try to solve the issue at hand. We've gone through the idea of a longer piston, and threads all the way to the top of the shock body to utilize every inch of the cylinder. The construction of the cylinders doesn't allow this to happen so we're working as best we can on other solutions.

I APOLOGIZE for the fact that this is taking so long, but don't immediately assume that we are simply sitting here letting the time pass for who knows what reason. The Mini Cooper community is one that we planned to cater to in the best possible way. Being an owner I sincerely wanted to be able to offer a suspension system that was both cost effective and performed well and I am working as hard as I can to meet the needs of the community.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Thank you Steve, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Quick Reply: Suspension Urgent help needed!!!...Megan Coilovers