Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Alta PSRS anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
That bushing on the left was Derlin. You can see how the control arm won't drop and is sticking straight out. Once this is bolted into the chassis, that arm will have 0 motion up and down.
I have no dog in this hunt but if you are suggesting that the Delrin bushing I am referring to looked like the above picture I can assure you it didn't. From my brief look at it I remember it had an insert that allowed rotation.
When it came time to choose for our car we choose the Alta PSRS rather than the Delrin.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Hello folks just a couple of cents from our side of the equation:

Contrary to one of the posts above, the ALTA PSRS prevents wandering vs. rubber. The rubber loses out vs. the leverage of the wheel/tire in ruts and uneven pavement. (To me this is HUGE advantage of our PSRS on street driven cars. Anyone using 17"+ sized wheels and tires can attest to this phenominon.)

Also, the additional caster angle we have added to the car improves steering response to steering wheel input. This also helps reduce understeer.

The kit is easy to install but does require an alignment after the installation and before the car is driven. The alignment also affects the toe, etc. so all should be checked and adjusted.

These kits started shipping to clients in late December and beta test units have been on the road since November of 2005.

PLEASE let us know if we can help in anyway further.

Thanks for considering ALTA Performance Products!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Also, the additional caster angle we have added to the car improves steering response to steering wheel input. This also helps reduce understeer.
a question many will ask is:

how will this affect a "stock" car vs. a car with camber plates?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Contrary to one of the posts above, the ALTA PSRS prevents wandering vs. rubber. The rubber loses out vs. the leverage of the wheel/tire in ruts and uneven pavement.........

Thanks for considering ALTA Performance Products!
It's usually because of the 'give' of the rubber that keeps the car from wandering. Of couse I'm not here to argue that your test results show an improvement over oil filled rubber bushings in keeping the car from following those uneven roads.
Would very much like to here from someone who is using these.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:54 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
agokart: Good question. The camber plates still work with the PSRS. The range of adjustment would be greater. The PSRS won't cancel those out. On a stock car, the caster is added with the re-location of the lower control arm mount. On the plates, they can make additional adjustment at the top of the strut mount. During alignment overall angles should still be checked. Hope that helps!

onasled: The rubber allows the control arm to move laterally in the mount. This has a dynamic alignment effect on the front two wheels. As a result the wheel in the rut can then have toe-out and then the car will be carried into or further toward the rut or crown in the road. With the PSRS installed this lateral movement is not allowed to happen. Car will track true and straight. This is a common problem with BMW, Subaru, and countless others that use this design. (Also, BMW replaces the rubber on the 3 series to the M3 for this specific reason.)

Hope that helps! Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Alta:
I am concerned about what has been stated so far with respect to street noise and hearing every pebble on the road with these.
Anything more on that?

Paul

Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
Alta:
I am concerned about what has been stated so far with respect to street noise and hearing every pebble on the road with these.
Anything more on that?

Paul
Hi Paul...I think this is a mod for those who have paid the price of admission...ala...someone who has already installed combinations of lowered suspension with higher spring rates/coil-overs/delrin suspension bushings/engine dampers/loud exhausts-headers and have already thrown NVH out the door long ago...come to think of it, I need to do this

Old 01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
newbs49
Banned
yes you do and soooooon.

I need to know before spring Sid. Can you help me.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by newbs49
yes you do and soooooon.

I need to know before spring Sid. Can you help me.
Help? What do you mean?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 PM
newbs49
Banned
You said you needed to to this. So please buy these, install, and let us know how they work before spring. You and SpiderX guide us to promise land.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Help? What do you mean?
He means that he wants you to install them and then give your feedback. Hopefully before the spring when he gets back out on the track.

EDIT: apparently me and Larry were posting at the same time.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
onasled
Banned
Help? What do you mean?
He wants someone here, like you, to be "Mikey" ... (That refrence dates me)
Figures he'll let you try it first and if you like it then he'll take the plung.

Right Larry ??

Old 01-13-2007, 05:12 PM
newbs49
Banned
Dam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys in CT. are smart.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:12 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Aw screw it...

I started this thread so I'll buy them and see what happens. I've blown more on less so the only thing will be the time to install.

I am gone the week after next so I doubt I will be able to get them in until mid Feb or so but I'll do what I can (see I buy things other than m7 products.... only b/c peter doesn't make any)

chris

Old 01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
LOL...the science behind this device make perfect sense to me...just need to sell some more old parts and hopefully, I'll have this on for the Dragon...you listening Dr. DT?

Of course...I'm not looking forward to spending more for another full alignment...

Old 01-13-2007, 05:19 PM
newbs49
Banned
You need it now. The Glen opens May 1st. Tell the Doctor down the road to help us out and make you the test pilot.
Kumper may want these from Doctor DT also. Mid Ohio in April.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
onasled
Banned

I think us guys in CT don't have a date for Saturday night, that's what I think ..

Hey, if I still had my car streetable and was not able to make my own stuff now, I think that I might go for these things myself. Though I would very much like to look at then to see just what their motion is and how they are built.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM
onasled
Banned
LOL...the science behind this device make perfect sense to me...just need to sell some more old parts and hopefully, I'll have this on for the Dragon...you listening Dr. DT?

Of course...I'm not looking forward to spending more for another full alignment...
And now you would be including castor (er?)

Old 01-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled

I think us guys in CT don't have a date for Saturday night, that's what I think ..
What happened to your little black book? Just pick one(or two) and call.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
i plan to have a set on my car in April. some time after i get back from AMVIV. I'll let you guys know how it works if you do not have a set by then. but like Sid said. the idea is 100% right. i have read the directions and more or less is is a straight forward install, but you will need a press to press out the old bushings, and press in the new bushings. after that an alignment.

as for NVH, i know after adding this there can not be any more than the solid poly engine bushings, so in the end it's a race car that you drive on the street. but also like Sid said..headers...coil overs....intakes...what ever....everything else is just JCW..hahaha

Old 01-13-2007, 09:45 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by agokart
i plan to have a set on my car in April. some time after i get back from AMVIV. I'll let you guys know how it works if you do not have a set by then. ......
Do check to see how freely the control arm moves if you could. It would be good if you disconected everything from the control arm so you could actually feel if there is any binding at all. Just bolting these things in and driving will not really tell you if their freedom of full motion is really there.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 AM
spillman
5th Gear
I just installed a set on my car. And boy was that a fun installation. Tomorow or well when I get out of bed I will get it aligned and give a better report.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 AM
spillman
5th Gear
I just installed a set on my car. And boy was that a fun installation. Tomorow or well when I get out of bed I will get it aligned and give a better report.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:35 AM
spillman
5th Gear

Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by spillman
Say that fast threee times...

Quick Reply: Suspension Alta PSRS anyone?