Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Alta PSRS... anyone install this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
fredz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxmini
I went thru the same deliberations and the only serious contender was the lower tranny mount . You are going to love the improvment

Randy
M7 tuning
Thanks Randy. It may take a week or two before I can get the job done, do commitments, but I am looking forward to the install. Can't wait.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
I'm still waiting for delivery on mine. I'm planning on installing new steering rack and sway bar bushings while the subframe is loose. It seams like everything else that might wear is accessible without dropping the subframe. Does anyone know if there's something else?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
no, I think that's all.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone have the PSRS installed with no camber plates? I'm trying to judge the relative handling differences of adding some static camber, vs. adding caster (and steering-induced camber) via the PSRS. 99% street car, canyon carver, no autocross, insignificant track time. Cabrio with USS and 19mm rear sway, about to install FSD's, otherwise stock suspension. Any thoughts on this are welcome...

Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your tire wear

if you're rounding the outer edge, go for some camber plates. Wait till your bushings are shot, then do something about them. You'll then have four choices...

Alta PSRS,
Bimmersomething offset urothane bushings.
Madness non-offset urathane bushings
Stock

Matt

Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Tires are actually wearing pretty evenly... just looking for more cornering "bite"... though I DO have some of the symptoms that the PSRS aims to correct (wandering, tramlining, a little squirrelly when braking, etc.)

Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Blimey, do you have the OEM bushings or did you mount something like Powerflex? I have Powerflex where the PSRS should go, and on the rear too, and they reduced a lot those symptomps, especially the braking thing.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:01 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
All stock currently... the way I got to this question was that I was considering adding fixed camber plates to improve turn-in... and my mechanic suggested I could get similar steering response improvement - plus solve some other issues - with the PSRS... that's what I'm trying to understand better - in what ways are the dynamic camber added by the PSRS similar and different from the static camber added by plates.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Mini7
3rd Gear
I just had Dan Zipkin install my Alta bushings and they did an awesome job at Grassroots garage.

He has all the right tooling and it was pretty quick. I asked him to tack weld my sleeves to my trailing arm. I did not trust the little grub screwss to do the job.

I have a set of adjustable IE plates for sale. I just took them off my car and they are stil in great shape, just need some cleaning and need to be removed from my old struts. With the adjustables, you can set up both sides equally. They definitely made a difference on my car.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Good move on the tac-weld

cause the set screw setup just plain sucks.

Matt

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Welding the sleeve seems to be the install method of choice for a number of folks I know that have installed them. If you ever uninstall them, you'll likely need new C/A's though.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
All stock currently... the way I got to this question was that I was considering adding fixed camber plates to improve turn-in...
I've been running the IE fixed plates for a month now. Grip through the turns is much, much better. Turn in seems to be quick and requires smooth input. One advantage of the fixed plates over the PSRS is mushroom relief if you have excuses for roads like we do in north east new jersey. I am running FSD's as well.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
cause the set screw setup just plain sucks.

Matt
I hate the word sucks. Is there anything else we can use?

But seriously, they have worked REALLY well for us on our cars, and many more around the globe. BUT, if there is a better way and a good improvement we would certainly be happy to do it.
We are just ecstatic with the amount of very satisfied clients with this products performance!

Let me know!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had them in for a few months now and still very pleased with them. The noise I expected from the stiffer bushing has never appeard. I have my car up on the lift frequently and I will keep a eye on them to make sure the " sucky " screws do not cause any problems .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These have been on my "need to do mods list" ever since I helped another board member install them on their ride months ago. Thanks for reminding me everyone ... must go sell kidney now ...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
ok, add one more very satisfied costumer! i just put these in 2 days ago and man... what a difference. granted, my stock bushings were getting soft. it took about 2 hours (i'm a mechanic and have air tools and a lift) and was pretty straight forward. i installed at the 45deg position which raised the rear of the control arm and pushed it out for more caster. i also bought these to replace the cup point screws, which dug in very nicely into the control arm. i only used two instead of three screws on each end of each collar and used some hondalock low strength on the threads. i'll keep and eye on them but i don't think i'll have any problems.

as far as handling... wow. i can slam on the brakes without my hands on the wheel. acceleration is dead straight, no weaving. the front just stays planted. i was testing around a circle and actually had to counter-steer when i let off the gas! i did not notice any increase in noise but i can "feel" the road surface more, like on rough pavement or when i'm slowing down i can feel the tire tread a little bit more (i have bfg kdw2s and they have huge tread blocks that i could already feel anyway...) but, hardly a negative at all for me.

so, all from me! anyone thinking about it, stop thinking! do it!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sonichris
ok, add one more very satisfied costumer! i just put these in 2 days ago and man... what a difference. granted, my stock bushings were getting soft. it took about 2 hours (i'm a mechanic and have air tools and a lift) and was pretty straight forward. i installed at the 45deg position which raised the rear of the control arm and pushed it out for more caster. i also bought these to replace the cup point screws, which dug in very nicely into the control arm. i only used two instead of three screws on each end of each collar and used some hondalock low strength on the threads. i'll keep and eye on them but i don't think i'll have any problems.

as far as handling... wow. i can slam on the brakes without my hands on the wheel. acceleration is dead straight, no weaving. the front just stays planted. i was testing around a circle and actually had to counter-steer when i let off the gas! i did not notice any increase in noise but i can "feel" the road surface more, like on rough pavement or when i'm slowing down i can feel the tire tread a little bit more (i have bfg kdw2s and they have huge tread blocks that i could already feel anyway...) but, hardly a negative at all for me.

so, all from me! anyone thinking about it, stop thinking! do it!
Thank you! Really appreciate the feedback! Let me know if I can ever help in the future!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Sonichris is on the right track...

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
I hate the word sucks. Is there anything else we can use?

But seriously, they have worked REALLY well for us on our cars, and many more around the globe. BUT, if there is a better way and a good improvement we would certainly be happy to do it.
We are just ecstatic with the amount of very satisfied clients with this products performance!

Let me know!
If you think about the forces at play here, all three set screws as supplied are fighting each other. This isn't good. The idea of using just two has the first one tightening the shaft against the sleeve, and then the second adds more force increasing the clamping effect of the first. this is a distant cousin of the 4 bolt main caps where two of the bolts are splayed and two are straight.

Matt

Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Putting a set of these on my GP next weekend. cant wait!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Which day jarid?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Sunday! Actually THIS weekend at a PDX MINI event.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM
R55lover
Neutral
Does the PSRS work for the Clubman too?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by R55lover
Does the PSRS work for the Clubman too?
YUP! no problem!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Got my alignment yesterday and really got to test out the PSRS. Money well spent. I did TIG weld a few sports for support plus using the set screws.

Quick Reply: Suspension Alta PSRS... anyone install this?