Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Something weird happend after STB install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Grey Shade
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something weird happend after STB install

I fixed the mushrooming last night and installed the M7 STB. When I was done I got in my Mini and tried to start it to go for a test drive and the key wouldn't turn. I could lock or unlock/roll down the windos with the key but It would not turn in the ignition. . I tried everything I could think of from holding down buttons for X # seconds to disconnection the battery, nothing worked . Finaly I had given up and went to push it up the driveway, stopped half way up and dexcided to give it one more try, put in the key and it turned and started right up . Has anyone else run into this? Is it some kind of anti theft thing or what?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
txwerks
Banned
Check to make sure your fuses and modules are all still fully pushed into their little homes... If you were banging on or around the strut tower on the driver's side, it could have imparted just enough to pop up a module (or four!).

How do I know? Well, we learned our lesson when installing camber plates on later builds. While hammering on the inside of the strut tower to make clearance, the fuse block is a RIGHT 'DERE. The first time, we didn't bother to check the fuse block - drove it around the corner and everything died and the car wouldn't re-start. I checked under the hood, then closed the bonnet figuring I'd have to push it back and it started. I got the bright idea to check the fuse block - and lo-and-behold, all 4 of the main modules were baaaaaarely in place.

I've heard that some people are wire tying those modules down? And others are just putting in a small piece of foam...

Anyhoo - check your fuse block!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 AM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
It was probably just the steering lock.. often just a little twist of the wheel will take the pressure off to turn the key.