Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 vs. Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 vs. Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2?

Need some tires for a new set of Center Line RPM 17 x 7 and would like to try 215/45 17. This will be for a new R56 MCS.

I've looked at tirerack.com. The hard test numbers show that the two are very close in handling. The subjective numbers tell a different story -- Eagles handle better, Pilot quieter and more comfortable. On the other hand, the user subjective data says the Eagle is quieter and more comfortable. I tend to discount the user data as there is no common reference point.

Anyone have any real-life experience with these tires?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
benfica09
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the F1 GS-D3's on my Audi A4.
I thought they were great. overall pretty quiet and smooth.
not as much tramlining as my previous S03's....i'd say they S03's were noisier too.

where they really shine was the rain. superb handling. It felt as though it was on dry pavement.

i even tracked the car with these tires and they help up well at 2 separate events. never got too greasy.

i was very happy these tires, a great balance of everything.
wore well too.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
willum
5th Gear
Can't comment on the Michelin's but I've had the GY's in that size ever since I dumped the run flats and love 'em. Only got about 10k out of the first set of GY's, but that included about 6 track days, one of which was the most abrasive track I've ever seen. One of my friends just about "corded" his left front run flat by the end of the day.
Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
+1 for the Goodyears!

_Dave_

Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I have the Michelins and I'm happy with them. Actually I wanted to get the Goodyears but they aren't available in the size I wanted (205/55-15). I chose the Michelins mostly based on TireRack's comparative track tests. I suspect that the Michelins aren't more popular because they have a boring looking tread pattern, even though their performance is good.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:44 AM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Anyone have any real-life experience with these tires?
Both the GY GS-D3 and Michelin PE2 are very nice and comfortable. Both tires I found to be very predictable and confidence inspiring. Unfortunately I've sampled both in different sizes so I don't have a perfect direct comparison.

So let's start with the GY. I had the GS-D3s in 215/45 17 and while I owned them they were quiet and comfortable - a big improvement over the runflats. There have been reports of noiseiness with mileage, but I never experienced this in the 3k miles I had them. But with their softer sidewalls they didn't seem as direct thru twisties as the runflats and since they were considerably larger than the stock 205's they took some edge off acceleration/braking. I wanted that urgency back but not the harshness.

Next stop was the PE2. 205/55 15. I've put 5k miles on these. Right away I noticed an even bigger improvement in street ride comfort than the GY, but this could be attested to the greater sidewall height. I expected the sidewalls to flex more because of this, but this is not the case there is less sidewall flex. If pressed I would say the PE2 is the quieter of the two. Since I removed 52 lbs of unsprung weight with this tire/wheel combo, the performance was very noticeably improved. It no longer felt like I was running in sand. On the downside, there is some tread squirm as I approach the limit since the tread pattern is more conventional than the GY. It takes a little geting used to at first.

AFA aesthetics, I miss the wild tread pattern and extra width of the larger GYs. They filled out the wheel wells nicely, whereas I'm considering lowering the car slightly to close the gaps with the much smaller 205/55 15 tires. Hope that helps.

Last edited by HAVNPHUN; 05-05-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 AM
RonR
4th Gear
Good Goodyears

Greetings,

I have about 10K on my Eagles and four autocross events and I have really enjoyed the performance level of the tires and would buy them again. Much smoother and quieter than the Dunlop S9000 run flats that came with the car. However, I am not complaining about the Dunlops as I got almost 35K out of them including a driving school. I would agree that the there is some increase in road noise as the tread wears but nothing like some of tires on the other Coopers I've ridden in. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ron

Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no experience with the gy's... I have the michelin pe2's on my car right now. Great dd tire. Silent and ride like a caddy, however after driving the dragon for a weekend I will not buy these tires again. Poor initial cornering responce and poor feel. Good grip, but the sidewalls are just too soft and the tred-depth too massive.

I'm going to take them off my oz ul's and put them on my old slights... And put some khumo's on my oz's. I'd suggest moving to another tire as, while these are great for DD they are mediocore in teh rain and follow every grove on the highway they can find.

(about the rain, I made a few runs in the wet on the dragon and was easily able to keep up with people, but had a hard time putting power down. I noticed that I was able to keep roll speed but when it came time to accelerate out the tires did poorly. I'd say this is more or less my countless time spent on elkhart lake in the rain that did the driving for me and the tires did nothing but slow me down.)