Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake wear mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake wear mileage

Just a small survey on when I can expect to replace my brakes.
If you reply, please LMK how many miles you got out of your:
front brakes
rear brakes
how you drive (spirited, everyday use)

I mostly have an everyday driver (95%) but have been to the track once. Have about 41K miles now and am looking into pads, types, brands. Thanks for your help.

I searched past threads and couldn't find one that has just this info.

Last edited by kseckel99; 05-09-2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since no one else has posted, i'll give you the worse case scenario. i have a TCE 13" bbk in front and TCE rotors (factory calipers relocated) in the rear. i have 11K miles on my car. i have been through four sets of front pads and one set of rear pads (@ 7K miles). i just ordered replacement rotors for the front. One DE = One set of front pads. your mileage may vary.....hopefully.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
since no one else has posted, i'll give you the worse case scenario. i have a TCE 13" bbk in front and TCE rotors (factory calipers relocated) in the rear. i have 11K miles on my car. i have been through four sets of front pads and one set of rear pads (@ 7K miles). i just ordered replacement rotors for the front. One DE = One set of front pads. your mileage may vary.....hopefully.

Well since I have about 41.5K on the car, I hope I have a little left. Thanks for the input.
Hopefully more will reply.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
38 k on my 2002 MCS and they are at end of life. I purchased the car with 21k miles in September so I am not sure how the previous owner drove but I drive all highway and my last car I got 95k on the original brakes.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car had about 48k when I got it. Fronts had maybe 5/32 left and rears were about the same. Getting low but would have made inspection. I drive spirited and have GreenStuff. Little noise to no noise, good for a driver with the occasional track day. Get Hawks if you're looking for more bite at the track or drive aggresively.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess I'll go to the opposite extreem of bean. My mile are almost all highway. I replaced the rear (pads only) at about 75,000 miles, and I just did the front (pads and rotors) at ~130,000.

Keep and eye on the rears, they go first.

Nik

Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Minzila
3rd Gear
Pad life

XSMINI,
I just replaced my front pads and rotors at 62k miles. They were at the very end of useful service. The rears still have about 60% pad remaining. I don't know how your rear pads are wearing first unless your e-brake is not releasing all the way or adjusted too tight. The front brakes do most of the work. Front brakes have worn first on every car and motorcycle I've owned in the past 20+ years. Anyone else with rear wear first?

Motor On
MB

Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xsmini
I guess I'll go to the opposite extreem of bean. My mile are almost all highway. I replaced the rear (pads only) at about 75,000 miles, and I just did the front (pads and rotors) at ~130,000.

Keep and eye on the rears, they go first.

Nik
WOW

Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minzila
XSMINI,
I just replaced my front pads and rotors at 62k miles. They were at the very end of useful service. The rears still have about 60% pad remaining. I don't know how your rear pads are wearing first unless your e-brake is not releasing all the way or adjusted too tight. The front brakes do most of the work. Front brakes have worn first on every car and motorcycle I've owned in the past 20+ years. Anyone else with rear wear first?

Motor On
MB
I've found that the fronts always go first also. I'm leaning toward green stuff pads. Now to watch for a sale.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
It depends on how you drive and where you drive. My wifes MINI needed new pads and rotors at 25k miles and I've had to change pads and/or rotors on her previous cars about every 30k. I've got 27k on mine and the pads still look new. I typically get 50 to 70k from brake pads on my cars. The best thing to do is inspect them every 5k or so when you rotate the tires.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Minzila
3rd Gear
pads and rotors

humcmcel,

Your wife is either an extremely aggressive driver or she drives an automatic and rest her foot on the brake pedal. It only takes very slight pressure to begin brake engagement. 25k miles is in the " 100% hot rodder" class.

Motor On
MB

Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
44k mostly hiway, aggressive/spirited driver, still look almost new...........

Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 AM
geowit
3rd Gear
I'm at 94k on the odometer and replaced fronts and rears at 48k. Fronts probably could have gone a bit more but the rears triggered the light. Since then, I've replaced the rears again and the fronts are still at 50%. I drive fairly spirited but also do a 75 mile round trip commute.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
XSMINI,
I don't know how your rear pads are wearing first unless your e-brake is not releasing all the way or adjusted too tight. The front brakes do most of the work. Front brakes have worn first on every car and motorcycle I've owned in the past 20+ years. Anyone else with rear wear first?

Motor On
MB
I read sometime back that they were designed to grab first, (something to do with handeling?) it may or may not be true. I don't believe my e-brake is not releasing (i've checked) or anything else is sticking, just the nature of this car. Like you, every other vehicle I have with brakes the fronts go first, so I was a little suprised to find the rears going first..

Nik

Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I only got 24K miles out of my rear pads. When I replaced them my fronts still had 50% pad left. But... I only get 24 MPG as I like to take off fast & brake hard. I'm not much of a coaster

Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 AM
MINIBrakes
1st Gear
And you wonder why i throw my internet hands up when you ask how long brakes should last?

Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
humcmcel,

Your wife is either an extremely aggressive driver or she drives an automatic and rest her foot on the brake pedal. It only takes very slight pressure to begin brake engagement. 25k miles is in the " 100% hot rodder" class.
She has an automatic and a heavy foot. While she doesn't ride the brakes she typically waits until the last possible moment and then puts the brake pedal on the floor. In the 25 years since I met her I've changed a lot of brake pads for her.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
meb
6th Gear
...4 complete rear pads and rotors in 89K miles...the sensors never worked either, I'let them go for goofs and giggles. They only work on the inside pad...apparently.

Last edited by meb; 05-11-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
If your rear brakes go first, something isn't right. It's plain physics. When you stop, weight and momentum shift forward putting more stress on the front end. If the front brakes grabbed first, your car would do nose dives. Ever apply bike brakes front first??

Old 05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
meb
6th Gear
Yes, yes, I know. However, BMW were the folks performing the rear brake jobs since I refused to buy their tool - at a ridiculous price. I questioned rear wear from the beginning..."it's normal" My reply? "Not ever in my 2.7 miles of driving experience." The last set lasted 3,500 miles while GPMs dipped into the 21 mpg range.

So I ordered the Harbor Frieght tool...in 41 minutes and a few seconds the brake job was complete. The caliper pins on the passenger side wre frozen! "All we do is replace the pads and rotors, nothing else is required." Really...for nearly $600.00 I expected more.

Mpgs are up to an average of 30.9 combined highway city with my JCW - driven sanely and the car feels like it gained another 50hp.

This also explains so not so tidy threshold braking at the track all year last year.

...front brakes should always be used first when braking a bicycle But I never get nose dive when racing bicycles

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
If your rear brakes go first, something isn't right. It's plain physics. When you stop, weight and momentum shift forward putting more stress on the front end. If the front brakes grabbed first, your car would do nose dives. Ever apply bike brakes front first??
I talked to my SA about this as I felt it was odd too & he said it does happen with hard brakers (like me ). I can't remember his exact words & my mechanical knowledge is nonexistant but it was something about MINIS having some assist thingie that kicks in the rear brakes more when you are braking hard thus making it totally possibly for the rears to wear first. Plus I know I am not the only MINI who's rears went 1st

Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Minzila
3rd Gear
Brake life

This is a very interesting thread. Seems like brakes can go in a few thousand or last for many thousands. Hey meb, what is the tool from Harbor Frieght called and how much is it? I used Pagid semi-metalic pads and Zimmerman rotors on my fronts and the brake dust all but disappeared. Brakes feel the same as OEM. Still blows me away so many people are wearing out rears first.

Motor On
MB

Old 05-12-2007, 12:50 PM
meb
6th Gear
If you sift thru their huge on line tool bin you will find this kit. About $50.00 shipped.

As far as rear wear is concerned...I dunno, but I'll keep an eye on my fuel mileage. As long as it doesn't drop, and, the brakes aren't wearing quickly, I will have found a correlation. Where the problem is, is yet to be determined...my first suspect is the emergency brake mechanism and its associated spring...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

Old 05-12-2007, 01:36 PM
bean
5th Gear
i bought the HF tool while not one sale (i needed it) it was about $50. i change rear pads at the track. Even at that price, it is insignificant compared to the cost of pads that i'm running through.....if you can wait until it is on sale, all the better. the tool works fine.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
minispeedrcr
3rd Gear
At 95,000 miles I finally got tired of waiting for the pads to wear out. Still had at least 50 pct left. Slight wear to rotors, equal front to rear. I do combined driving and live in the hills. I have also had 2 HPDE days. I changed out the rotors to TSW's with EBC greenstuffs. They work well after a short warmup but squeal quite a bit. I'll try a differnt pad soon since I'm doing more track days now.

Quick Reply: Brake wear mileage