Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Torque Wrench Recommendations?

I need to buy a torque wrench. Other than installing a JCW Strut Brace, I would be using it for wheels and oil changes. Anyone make a good recommendation on what to buy and where to buy it? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Putz
How much do you want to spend?
Not sure. Its use will probably be minimal, but I don't want something so cheap that it annoys me every time I use it. I don't really know what the options are. What do you get for $30 vs. $80 vs. $150...?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I use a half inch drive adjustable torque wrench I bought at Harbor Freight for around $15. It works well and since it cost so little, I don't really have to worry every time I loan it out [if it is not returned]. Harbor Freight usually has them on sale for around $10 or so, making it a really good bargain.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 PM
95Viper
3rd Gear
I have the Sears foot lbs and the inch lbs. They are the clicker type. They always go on sale for about $60. I use both all the time.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
I use a half inch drive adjustable torque wrench I bought at Harbor Freight for around $15. It works well and since it cost so little, I don't really have to worry every time I loan it out [if it is not returned]. Harbor Freight usually has them on sale for around $10 or so, making it a really good bargain.
+1 for the HF wrench. Not the best wrench around, but it works.
If you are only going to use one once in a while, this is the way to go.
Just treat it very gently and it should last.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ignote
+1 for the HF wrench. Not the best wrench around, but it works.
If you are only going to use one once in a while, this is the way to go.
Just treat it very gently and it should last.
Could you guys post a link to the one you have. I need a wrench that will probably only get used once on each tire when I paint my rotor hats. I plan on taking the tires off & painting the rotors while they are still on the MINI & I have no clue what I need to get the job done wrench-wise

Old 05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
I used to have the 1/2" Harbor Freight torque wrench ($25?) but my wife bought me a new one from S&K. I think it cost like $125. But honestly, the only thing I like better about it is that it is longer for more leverage.

I only use it for lug nuts, but I change tires 2 - 3 times a month.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
camminich
5th Gear
The Craftsman wrenches are nice. They have some simple needle style torque bars for around $20 for a 1/2". The HF ones are good too. Good bang for the buck, just don't let them get wet.

I bought the fancy digital Craftsman wrench for around $300, neato and all but really no better than a needle or adjustable dial style. Sure enough, I loaned it out, and it never came home. So, I would say, go with someone cheap. Just make sure you are happy with the length of it. 18" to 24" is more than enough for anything we would do with our MINIs including adding a sway bar.

The other biggie, make sure you have a good set of sockets to match the bar. Since you will be applying all of this torque, you want to make sure the sockets don't break, or strip a bolt.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Do people actually use the needle torque wrenches? I recall a lecture from high school auto shop about how inaccurate the were and should never be used.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Do people actually use the needle torque wrenches? I recall a lecture from high school auto shop about how inaccurate the were and should never be used.
actually a good quality torque bar will never need calibration. unlike a ratcheting style or digital style. At least that is my understanding.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
The HF torque wrenches have a dial in the handle that is used for calibration...you turn the handle until the torque setting you want lines up with the arrows., set the spring at the bottom of the handle and fit the socket, clicking it to torque by using a steady [fluid] movement. I never use a torque wrench for breaking loose tires, etc., as it's my understanding that it is to apply the right torque to a TIGHTENED nut. Just releast the end nut when you are finished to release the spring pressure.

I have heard about the needle type being very inacurrate and that's why I purchased the other kind.

If a torque wrench never needs to be adjusted, then, how do you ever know you are torquing at the correct setting? That makes NO sense to me.

Just my 2c.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The beam style ones are actually the most accurate I've been told due to the torque acting directly onto the bar. If you get one a click style, MAKE SURE TO RETURN IT TO ZERO WHEN YOU ARE DONE! The difference between the units is usually build quality, range of ratings, and warranty. My old man has a click style Craftsman. It always does the job for me.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Could you guys post a link to the one you have. I need a wrench that will probably only get used once on each tire when I paint my rotor hats. I plan on taking the tires off & painting the rotors while they are still on the MINI & I have no clue what I need to get the job done wrench-wise

I have no clue what to buy so could ya please post a link to the HF one you are talking about so I will know what to get

Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemiheaded18
The beam style ones are actually the most accurate I've been told due to the torque acting directly onto the bar. If you get one a click style, MAKE SURE TO RETURN IT TO ZERO WHEN YOU ARE DONE! The difference between the units is usually build quality, range of ratings, and warranty. My old man has a click style Craftsman. It always does the job for me.
Exactly what the above says. If you do not release the spring and leave it set to whatever torque, you reduce the accuracy of the wrench over time. Twisting the handle back to zero is what you do to allow the spring to be accurate when you reset.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
LondonCalling
2nd Gear
I have the Harbor Freight click-style torque wrench in 1/2" drive. It works fine. I also have a an old needle type as well. They are "very close" to the same results. The click-type is just so easy to use. I am looking for a 1/4 or 3/8 drive to do in/lbs soon.

I also have some impact sockets in 1/2" drive (for my air impact wrench - also from Harbor Freight). They are deep well, and I know they are not going to split on me.

I also have a 24" breaker bar - I don't use my torque wrench to break loose my wheel lugnuts.

Yeah, I always return my setting to 0 before I put it in the box, but I'm OCD that way.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=239

there yo go.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bamatt,

I believe this must be what the others are referring to, however it is not currently as cheap as has been mentioned:

Hope that helps!

Oh, yeah, same link as Putz used.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by LondonCalling
I have the Harbor Freight click-style torque wrench in 1/2" drive. It works fine. I also have a an old needle type as well. They are "very close" to the same results. The click-type is just so easy to use. I am looking for a 1/4 or 3/8 drive to do in/lbs soon.

I also have some impact sockets in 1/2" drive (for my air impact wrench - also from Harbor Freight). They are deep well, and I know they are not going to split on me.

I also have a 24" breaker bar - I don't use my torque wrench to break loose my wheel lugnuts.

Yeah, I always return my setting to 0 before I put it in the box, but I'm OCD that way.
For changing wheels-

Use a breaker bar (this helps to free up the bolt or nut with least effort due to better leverage of longer handle and you don't use the torque wrench for that job).

See
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/.../tools_all.jsp
Gorilla extendable power wrench from $7.99
Adjustable torque wrench from $29.99 up to 150 ft-lbs.

Check your bolt or nut sizes and see if you need to add any thin walled sockets to fit in the recessed areas of the wheel. 17 and 19mm are common sizes. If you have 1/2" sockets then get tools to fit that size or you will need adapters.

I have my impact wrench, breaker and torque wrench all to match 1/2" sockets then I don't use adapters.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Thanks Putz & Mini2Go I will check them out. I was starting to get paranoid thoughts & beginning to wonder if everyone had me on ignore

Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Well, shoot...I even posted and sent last night, but I do not see my post here. The wrench from HF is a Pittsburgh half inch clicker for $20, and it usually goes on sale for much less. I never ignored you, but I have no idea what happened to my post.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Well, shoot...I even posted and sent last night, but I do not see my post here. The wrench from HF is a Pittsburgh half inch clicker for $20, and it usually goes on sale for much less. I never ignored you, but I have no idea what happened to my post.
Thank you The waves of paranoia are starting to wash away now

Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I wouldn't desert you...just dunno why my post never appeared til I made this other today.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
PredMini
3rd Gear
If you are in Huntsville check out the HF store. The walk in store and online store offer different pricing. If you ever want something from one of their flyers you better take it in. They will honor the price, but need the SKU # on the add for the pricing. I was in last weekend to get a couple of clamps and ended up spending ~ $125. I picked up their brake caliper tool, a 3/8" adn 1/2" torque wrench all on sale. I'm thinking I've got maybe $30 in both wrenches.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a 1/2 drive one from Alex www.tirerack.com for like $20.

HarborFreight has a Pittsburg (sp?) one for about the same price.
for lugs these do quite well.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendations?