Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Boo for Brembo Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:06 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PortMCS
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Brembo's. I have the brembo's myself with the Less-brake dust emiting Mintex pads, and they must have at least 5k miles on them by now. I love em, but like someone stated, maybe yours didnt get zinc coated?
Yes, finish or coating on a rotor is not a given.
If you look at some of the pictures for Brembo, there are basic OEM rotors that are likely not coated or finished. They arrive bare metal.

Other rotors (some slotted) will have a protective finish. Over time and with heat you can wear off that coating or finish depending on your own driving. Anything that heats up the rotor alot (track, long downhills) will generate more heat.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After installing my new 16 inch R90s, I am very displeased with the rust on my stock rotors. I am going to use POR-15 on the hats after masking off the wheel to hat contact area. I've used POR-15 on other rust projects and it does an outstanding job. It is a pain to work with ONLY because it sticks like all heck on anything it gets on and is impossible to get off! Only use disposable brushes as they are throw aways when finished.

The $59 vented front replacement OEM rotors that I just put on my 2000 Chevy Blazer were powder coated works of art! The hat and the vented fin area were done beautifully. I say this just to show that it can be done!!

I'll try and post pics of the POR-15 job when completed.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedwing
After installing my new 16 inch R90s, I am very displeased with the rust on my stock rotors. I am going to use POR-15 on the hats after masking off the wheel to hat contact area. I've used POR-15 on other rust projects and it does an outstanding job. It is a pain to work with ONLY because it sticks like all heck on anything it gets on and is impossible to get off! Only use disposable brushes as they are throw aways when finished.

The $59 vented front replacement OEM rotors that I just put on my 2000 Chevy Blazer were powder coated works of art! The hat and the vented fin area were done beautifully. I say this just to show that it can be done!!

I'll try and post pics of the POR-15 job when completed.
Would definitely like to see that . My M7 rotors have not rusted in months of service .