Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tyres, Tires, Tahrs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Tyres, Tires, Tahrs...

My 2003 MCS Works came with pretty agressive summer only tires (Yokomama Parada Spec 2) mounted on some very nice custom wheels, which grip like mad, even in the rain, but I'm told are very short lived and undriveable under 30* temps, not to mention pretty noisey.

I've recently bought some used MINI "S Lites" in the same size (17's), and now I'm looking for something that will drive well and hold up OK on my year round 40 mile daily commute in rain, sleet, snow, and ice as well as cold.

Questions include - should I mount the all-seasons on the "S lites" and save the hot rod tires on the custom wheels for the track, or mount the new tires on the custom wheels and save the "S lites" for the track - especially since I have very little money in them?

I'm leaning towards using the customs for my everyday tires and saving the S lites for the track, but that means M+B on 8 tires instead of 4, and twice the opportunity for some tire gorilla to run my nice wheels........

I bought some Kumho Exsta ASX all seasons for my Lexus ES 300, and I'm very surprised and pleased with how quiet they are, plus they are as much as 1/2 the cost of a commensurate Michelin or Pirelli so I'm looking prety hard at another set of those, but I'm open to suggestions.............

Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you live, what are your seasons like? How often do you track it? You will probably NOT want to run the s-lites for the track, as they are quite heavy...

I would run the aftermarket rims with the Yoko's in the summer, get a different lighter wheel for track days (and some nice track-rubber) and buy some winter or all-season tires and mount those on the s-lites and give them winter-duty (if you have winters).

-Cody

Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To save money I would mount my commuter tires on the S-lites and leave the aftermarket rims and stick tires for the Auto-X or track events.

Not knowing which wheels you have but knowing how heavy the S-lites are it is a good bet that they are not any heavier than the S-lites.

Look for some all season tires that have a wear rating over 300 for the commute, the higher the better. If driving in the snow is important then compare their M+S ratings. Save your sticky tires and performance driving for the track.

JOHO

Old 05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Sorry, I didn't post my location, I'm in Kansas City - where we get all the weather, sometimes on the same day!

Here are my "custom" wheels with the Parada Spec 2's on them.....they're ASA 17's........
I'm thinking you guys are right, save these for track days, and drive the S lites with the "street" tires most of the time, it's just that I like the look of these wheels better!

Still need some advice on what to get for street tires too........

Attached Thumbnails Tyres, Tires, Tahrs...-mini2.jpg   Tyres, Tires, Tahrs...-mini1.jpg  

Last edited by MINIdave; 05-20-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
My 2003 MCS Works came with pretty agressive summer only tires (Yokomama Parada Spec 2) ...

Questions include - should I mount the all-seasons on the "S lites" and save the hot rod tires on the custom wheels for the track, or mount the new tires on the custom wheels and save the "S lites" for the track - especially since I have very little money in them?

I'm leaning towards using the customs for my everyday tires and saving the S lites for the track, but that means M+B on 8 tires instead of 4, and twice the opportunity for some tire gorilla to run my nice wheels........

I bought some Kumho Exsta ASX all seasons for my Lexus ES 300, and I'm very surprised and pleased with how quiet they are, plus they are as much as 1/2 the cost of a commensurate Michelin or Pirelli so I'm looking prety hard at another set of those, but I'm open to suggestions.............
What suspension do you have? This can limit which size tires to use.
Lets assume you have stock suspension for 2003 MCS JCW.
Then you can use 215/45-17 or stock sized 205/45-17.

For year round use and a little snow you want less wide tires.
So I would recommend looking at 205/45-17 first.

If you don't want winter tires using S-lytes (and Parada Spec2 for the summer months) then using an all season tire that handles wet and snow is probably the more usable. Summer tires don't handle snow.

In 205/45-17
Ultra High Perf All Season tire (good performance and for commuting)
Avon Tech M550 A/S $99 each
360 treadwear W speed rated 22 pounds
Light snow-7.2 /Deep snow-6.2 / Ice traction 6.4

High Perf All Season tire (usable for commuting)
Kumho Ecsta AST $68 each
400 treadwear H speed rated 20 pounds
Winter ratings
Light snow-5.7 /Deep snow-4.5 / Ice traction 4.7

If we look first at tire classes that will work with S-lytes

In Ultra High Perf All Season tires
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $130 each (excellent overall in all weather)
In 215/45-17 (slightly tall at 24.6" but fits stock suspension)
400 treadwear W speed rated 25 pounds
Light snow-8.0 /Deep snow-7.2 / Ice traction 7.3
or
Continental ContiExtemeContact $87 each (V.Good overall in all weather)
In 215/45-17 (slightly tall at 24.7" but fits stock suspension)
400 treadwear W speed rated 20 pounds
Light snow-7.9 /Deep snow-7.1 / Ice traction 6.9
or
Kumho Ecsta ASX $83 each (Good overall in all weather)
420 treadwear W speed rated 21 pounds
Light snow-6.8 /Deep snow-5.7 / Ice traction 5.9

In High Perf All Season tires
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S $164 each (excellent overall in all weather)
In 205/50-17 (slightly tall at 25.2" but fits stock suspension)
400 treadwear V speed rated 22 pounds
Light snow-8.2 /Deep snow-7.6 / Ice traction 7.6
or
Bridgestone Potenza G009 $131 each (excellent overall in all weather)
460 treadwear H speed rated 23 pounds
Light snow-7.7 /Deep snow-6.9 / Ice traction 6.9

If you want to balance value with performance and all weather use-
Using 205/45-17 then Avon Tech M550 A/S is worth a look
Or if 215/45-17 which is very usable on S-lyte rim
Then Continental ContiExtremeContact is worth a look.

If on a less of a budget then
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S are excellent all weather tires.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Mahalo Minihune.........

I just bought the car recently, but as far as I know it has stock suspension.

I also was looking at the 215/45 Exsta ASX and wondered if it would fit OK, or if the 215/40 would be a better match.............another Cooper S owner I know is running the 215/45's and he said it got his speedo accurate - mine is also a little slow and the extra height would correct that for me as well.

The Exsta AST is only H rated, so I'll want to stick with the ASX I think.

'Preciate the info, I've been perusing the Tire Rack charts trying to figure out a good balalnce of price and performance.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:51 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Mahalo Minihune.........

I just bought the car recently, but as far as I know it has stock suspension.

I also was looking at the 215/45 Exsta ASX and wondered if it would fit OK, or if the 215/40 would be a better match.............another Cooper S owner I know is running the 215/45's and he said it got his speedo accurate - mine is also a little slow and the extra height would correct that for me as well.

The Exsta AST is only H rated, so I'll want to stick with the ASX I think.

'Preciate the info, I've been perusing the Tire Rack charts trying to figure out a good balalnce of price and performance.
For your street tires with using 17" S-lytes. Either the Kumho ASX is fine or

Continental ContiExtemeContact $87 each
In 215/45-17 (slightly tall at 24.7" but fits stock suspension)
400 treadwear W speed rated 20 pounds
Light snow-7.9 /Deep snow-7.1 / Ice traction 6.9

215/45-17 should not be a problem for stock suspension.

ASX is a better tire than the AST.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll toss in a vote for the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. I have these on one of my other cars in 215/45-17. I've had them for about 6 months or so, and have used the car in all types of weather. The tires have astounding grip, excellent wet traction and are very quiet. They have directional tread design with a lot of siping and channeling tokeep them quiet over time. I will be getting a set of these for the MINI as well. The are available in just about every size it seems, and have a good treadwear rating. I give them

Old 05-24-2007, 02:33 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Thanks, Greatbear, I'll add them to my list. Any others you all would recommend?