Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help me love my MINI

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 PM
kristina
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me love my MINI

Actually, I do love my MINI ('06 MCS) but I don't like the harsh ride and tramlining on the runflats.

I have the 17" Pirelli Eufori@ (silly name) and our horrible roads have taken their toll on my patience and my butt!. So, I'm thinking that I could (a) upgrade to non-runflats or (b) move to 16" wheels and either non run-flats or 2nd generation runflats, like the Goodyear Excellence.

This car has a stock suspension. I'm in the Bay Area, and we have rain, but never any snow. My goal is really just to get a more comfortable ride. This car will never see a track so super duper handling is not a must, although we have plenty of twisty roads around here to keep one amused, and I have noticed that the larger tires do seem to have a cost in terms of acceleration and overall handling. Tire price is not really a huge issue.

It seems clear that (b) with the non-runflats would be the best option in terms of comfort and also perhaps increase my mpgs by a smidge. As far as 16" wheels, those Ultraleggras look pretty spiffy to me. However, I do like the security of the runflats, and some people have noted that their ride is far comfier than the first generation's. If anyone has an opinion about this, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Keeping my 17" webspokes (which I like aesthetically) and going to a non-runflat would be the most economical move. Would the difference in ride from the Pirellis be very noticable?

As you can see, I'm pretty confused. Any and all advice is welcome!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kristina
Actually, I do love my MINI ('06 MCS) but I don't like the harsh ride and tramlining on the runflats.

I have the 17" Pirelli Eufori@ (silly name) and our horrible roads have taken their toll on my patience and my butt!. So, I'm thinking that I could (a) upgrade to non-runflats or (b) move to 16" wheels and either non run-flats or 2nd generation runflats, like the Goodyear Excellence.

This car has a stock suspension. I'm in the Bay Area, and we have rain, but never any snow. My goal is really just to get a more comfortable ride. This car will never see a track so super duper handling is not a must, although we have plenty of twisty roads around here to keep one amused, and I have noticed that the larger tires do seem to have a cost in terms of acceleration and overall handling. Tire price is not really a huge issue.

It seems clear that (b) with the non-runflats would be the best option in terms of comfort and also perhaps increase my mpgs by a smidge. As far as 16" wheels, those Ultraleggras look pretty spiffy to me. However, I do like the security of the runflats, and some people have noted that their ride is far comfier than the first generation's. If anyone has an opinion about this, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Keeping my 17" webspokes (which I like aesthetically) and going to a non-runflat would be the most economical move. Would the difference in ride from the Pirellis be very noticable?

As you can see, I'm pretty confused. Any and all advice is welcome!
Well firstly, ride comfort will still be fairly poor with even second gen runflats. You could drop to 16's and go with a higher profile non-runflat, that would help. You could also buy some Koni FSD's.

If ride comfort is really that important this just may not be the car for you. a MCS is never going to ride like a lincoln town car. It's a sports coupe, and it's VERY stiff by design.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
kristina
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
If ride comfort is really that important this just may not be the car for you. a MCS is never going to ride like a lincoln town car. It's a sports coupe, and it's VERY stiff by design.
Really, it is the car for me. I had an '04 MC before this one, so don't assume I expect a Lincoln Town Car type ride. Bottom line, our roads here in SF are atrocious. The runflats on nice new highway asphalt are fine. But the city is another story.

Thanks for the advice on shocks. Right now, I think changing tires will do the trick.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
70spop
6th Gear
I can't comment on the 2nd gen runflats - haven't driven a car with them.

I had the Dunlop RFs on 17" S-lites. I switched to a set of lighter weight 16" wheels with non-RFs, and the ride got noticeably better. Still stiff, but not as teeth-rattling.

Recently, I went back to a set of factory (read: heavy) 17" wheels with a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFs AND put in a set of Texas Speedwerks springs. Still rides stiff (a little stiffer actually with the higher spring rate), but even with the 17s the ride is fairly smooth. The springs make the car a bit bouncier over bumps in the road (think left lane of I-80 between Vallejo and Davis), but it soaks up the small bumps and crumbly pavement pretty well. I'm in Sacramento and I drive in the Bay Area a lot, so I know all about your cruddy roads; we've got 'em too.

AND, are you a member of Redwood Empire Mini Enthusiasts, yet?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need to do anything drastic. I think moving to 215/45 r17 tires would do the trick and fill out the wheel gap a bit.

Wait for MINIHUNE to reply with tire suggestions. . .

-[[[S]]]

Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
chisss
3rd Gear
Well I took off my pirelli RF and put 205/50/R17 Falken FK-452's. good handling, a lil higher profile (50 vs. 45), no rubbing at all and the ride is noticeably less of a pin in the ***... literally..lol.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had both first and second generation runflats. The seconds are much better, but I don't think will make you happy. I know SF, too. Especially cobbles. I would recommend non-runflats. They are cheaper, the can last longer, they ride nicer. Runflats have very hard sidewalls, which are very harsh on bad roads. Plus, run flats do get flats. And when they do, they are both expensive and difficult to find a place to fix them. You can always carry a can of fix-a-flat with you for non-runflats..

Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
camminich
5th Gear
I too wanted a smoother ride with my MINI, I had RFs on 17" S-Lites. I switched to Pirelli PZero Nero 215/45 R17, and have been thrilled with the results. Not only is it a smoother ride, it is also a lot quieter.