Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheel spacer/hub centric help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 PM
SORMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel spacer/hub centric help please

We just recieved our new wheels. They are 18x7.5 Motegi FF7. The offset is +45. We have the M7 coilovers. The tire shop recommended buying these hub centric wheel spacers . Is it better to use separate spacers and a hub centric ring?

With a 3mm spacer, the rim(without the tire) barely clears the CO. A 5mm spacer should definately clear, but I was thinking of going to a 15mm in the front and a 5mm in the rear.

Has anyone used these specific spacers? Is there a better alternative? What conversion kit will work the best?

We also were looking at doing a conversion to wheel studs at the same time. It is looking like we need to have the 50mm studs and the open ended nuts to fit the wheel??

Any help would be appreciated. The wheels are at the shop waiting for this issue.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 AM
SORMINI
2nd Gear
Ok. I think I have figured out what spacers to get. I am ordering 15mm H&R spacers for the front and 5mm for the rear.

I am on my way to figure out what conversion studs to get. Is there really that much difference between the H&R ones at almost $5 per stud, plus lugs, or are the $65 set from Pilo good enough?

Also, I was told that a 40mm stud would be long enough to clear the 15mm spacer, but I saw on another site that I would need the 50mm stud to clear. I want it to fit behind the center caps on the wheel.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have custom hubcentric spacers and they are cool. I didn't want more pieces than necessary, and most spacers still need hubcentering rings to fit aftermarket wheels.
The spacer in the ProMini photo is not an H&R spacer as they have 8 holes. Check out Turner Motor Sports. They have H&R spacers and cool studs. I got the 75mm studs, which would not fit under wheel caps, but I don't run them anyway. If you want more info on the custom spacers, PM me.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM
SORMINI
2nd Gear
I have already orderd the spacers from Promini. I called H&R direct in Washington and confirmed before I ordered so they must just have an old pic. What size spacer do you show is that picture? Is it the H&R? It looks just like the one on the Promini site. So you don't have to use an extra ring with those? They look like the H&R spacers and I was told that they still needed a ring.

Thanks

Last edited by SORMINI; 05-25-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:11 AM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by SORMINI
I have already orderd the spacers from Promini. I called H&R direct in Washington and confirmed before I ordered so they must just have an old pic. What size spacer do you show is that picture? Is it the H&R? It looks just like the one on the Promini site. So you don't have to use an extra ring with those? They look like the H&R spacers and I was told that they still needed a ring.
Thanks
No, these are custom made so that I don't need a ring to center the wheel. All the other spacers are generic in that they only fit wheels with a bore of 56.1mm (ie OEM wheels). You still need a ring with the H&R spacers. My spacers fit like a glove, both on the hub flange and into the wheel. But that fit comes at a price: $65 each.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 AM
SORMINI
2nd Gear
Good to know. I will keep that in mind for later. That price really isn't out of line when you consider what you are getting. What is the size of the spacers that you have? What size wheels are you running?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 AM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by SORMINI
Good to know. I will keep that in mind for later. That price really isn't out of line when you consider what you are getting. What is the size of the spacers that you have? What size wheels are you running?
Those are 8mm spacers, and fit Kosei K1s in 17". The Kosei have 73mm bore and a 45mm offset, which is the same as stock I believe.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
How did you go about choosing the 8mm thickness?

Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 AM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by sanddan
How did you go about choosing the 8mm thickness?
I used the Goldilocks method: not too thin, not too thick... really!