Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Widening OEM Holies. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Widening OEM Holies. . .

I'm getting frustrated searching for the right wheels. And I'm really digging the style of the holies. They fit the look of the MINI so well. Plus, there are not really any aftermarket wheels (maybe porsche phone dials, but heavy) that have the holies style.

http://www.thelivingoods.com/mini/co...ilver_wheel.qt

But, 5.5" wide is not optimal (pizza cutters) and I need some lip. So, I want to gather some info about having the stock OEM R81 holies widened. I'll have to do some calculations to find out where to widen, maybe 1.5" added to the lip and 1" to the inside to make them 15x8. Either way, that part is not as important as finding out if it can be done correctly and safely.

Also, maybe instead of welding an extra hoop on, the lip can be cut off, drilled and mated up with a Kodiak BBS 30 hole lip or a stainless lip then sealed like any other 2 piece wheel.

Or, a 2" piece can be welded in the middle. . . no lip, but who knows. . .

Here's a few places I've found:
http://www.vikingwheel.com/index.html
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/

Here's some chatter about it:
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=30302
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1412705

Input?

-Steve

Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
it would look so dope... not sure if it's possible but i love hollies.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once you add the width and the weld, the holies will be gaining a lot of weight (probably double the weight). So you're not going to be doing it for a light weight wheel.

Adding 1.5" to the front and 1" to the back would give you a wearable 38ish offset.

Next, there has to be room to fit the welder in there behind the bead, and a flat surface wide enough to allow it and the v-groove to do it right. On top of that, both sides need welded (inside the tire and on the rim face) for strength. So you'll need some grinding (+$$$) and finishing (+$$$) on the face unless you like the ugly bead (you can leave the back cause no one will see it). Then paint, which isn' a big deal but it adds to the cost. I doubt it will polish without leaving a heat stress seam.

As far a going with a kodiak lip.... you'll need to figure where you're going to cut the wheel. If you're looking at the flat spot where the spokes go into the rim, there's the valve hole to worry about (fill or trim the lip ?). Even then, there is no guarntee the stresses of the bolts (you're taking metal away to drill the holes) and the forces acting on the lip won't crack the rim. This might be the best bet and the cheapest option - if it will even work.

If you take the tire off and look at the wheel, there isn't a place in the middle to add 2".

I think you're next step would be contacting the two places you've found and going from there. No one on here knows if it will work, safely. I think you'll find that there are a lot or nice rims out there for what you're gambling might work.

Last edited by goin440; 05-24-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Good point.

For all the cost, I may just want to find a place that does custom wheels, have them work the specs for the holies wheel and cut out a few sets. Might even make a couple bucks out of it.

If I could have them made:

Keep the center exactly the way it is.
widen to 7.5 or 8, with a more aggressive offset (et35ish)
and maybe flare the lips to make it a 16".
Then powdercoat or polish, and WHAMMY!!!!!!!!

Anyone ever had custom wheels made? No? Friend of a friend?

Last edited by sandtoast500; 05-24-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
Good point.

For all the cost, I may just want to find a place that does custom wheels, have them work the specs for the holies wheel and cut out a few sets. Might even make a couple bucks out of it.

If I could have them made:

Keep the center exactly the way it is.
widen to 7.5 or 8, with a more aggressive offset (et35ish)
and maybe flare the lips to make it a 16".
Then powdercoat or polish, and WHAMMY!!!!!!!!

Anyone ever had custom wheels made? No? Friend of a friend?
Maybe work backwards. Figure out what tires you want and what size.
Then figure out the widest rim that will fit the tire and still fit your MINI.

Then have a design like the Holey in mind with a deep dish and give it to a custom wheel maker (Kodiak? or Foose?).

If you go custom you get strong wheels but maybe not too light if they are wide.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
IS most of the weight in the barrel? I figure about a pound per extra inch, maybe just over. I don't know why Rota hasn't came out with anything like this yet. Round wheel designs must have went out in the 80s. Not like wheels are square now, but, you know what I mean.

Having wheels made might be easier if I lived in Thailand or China.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
gotundersteer?
1st Gear
Hmmm...

Maybe check out: http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/

Nice wheels, maybe they could build something for you. It's going to cost you though, anything custom will.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought about finding someone to make 17" holies a while ago.....a friend wanted them.....I never did talk to that wheel Mfr....

Old 05-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try Motomotion.com Call them up and talk with them....they can tell you what they can do...and I will vouch for thier quality and reliability. (they have redone 2 sets of wheels for me.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 PM
goin440
6th Gear
If you're going to have them made, I'd suggest billet because you can machine the face pretty easily if you know someone who can write the program. You might look at Boyd Coddington (only because off the top of my head I know they machine wheels). Again with cost, its probably cheaper to widen the oem holies than to make 'new' wheels.

You mentioned liking the phone dials. Here's a few other options availible custom in a lot of different widths/sizes/offsets. These would be pretty freakin sweet imo.

I think you could easily wrap up about $4k-5k in widening/finishing the holies (I know you're looking easily at $300 each just for the width, and again atleast that to finish them and paint). The above wheels will be around the same if not less. If you make them (new), double that, unless several are made and bought to offset the mfg cost.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I'm thinking that the most tire/wheel you can get in the space available may fit on a 5.5 inch rim. Not optimal but very good. Cutting and welding isn't optimal either. Adding wheel weight isn't optimal either.

For my part, I bought some holies to use for winter wheels. For that service narrow is better. For me, its 5 cool months!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want wide....you will most likely be getting a heavy wheel. Especially if you're looking at 2 or 3 piecer's.

Your best bet is finding other options like the porsche phonedials or something else.

Image makes custom versions of these wheels which each share some aspect with holies

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_w...6_classic.html

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_w...o_classic.html

And this set is a little removed from the holies...but still gives the full face, almost steelie style feel

Generally i think the phonedials look amazing on a MINI....and if you're willing to give into a slightly heavier option, they would make a great addition to your car

Old 05-25-2007, 12:13 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I've got two sets of ATS Cups in my ebay watched items already. . . Solid contender.

So, probably the only way to do this would be to have a set of holies. (given), then find another wheel that has the lip that I want with very close to the same proportions, cut one, cut two and pair them up, grind, polish, powdercoat and done.

It's not like I'm going to go out and do this tomorrow, only a hypothetical at this point. Widening is able to be done. How and how much are the real questions that must be explored. Everyone generally likes and respects the holies, so if this became a reasonable option, it may even be lucrative! Ha. or at least enriching the community. yea.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I've got two sets of ATS Cups in my ebay watched items already. . . Solid contender.

So, probably the only way to do this would be to have a set of holies. (given), then find another wheel that has the lip that I want with very close to the same proportions, cut one, cut two and pair them up, grind, polish, powdercoat and done.

It's not like I'm going to go out and do this tomorrow, only a hypothetical at this point. Widening is able to be done. How and how much are the real questions that must be explored. Everyone generally likes and respects the holies, so if this became a reasonable option, it may even be lucrative! Ha. or at least enriching the community. yea.
What are you going to use the holeys with tires for? Street use only?
Why not keep them stock and mount 225/50-15 tires? This is a good size for street use, slightly smaller than stock so it will clear and not overly wide for fitment in the fenders but wide enough.

They will be shoehorned (normally fits 6-8" wide rims) on the narrow rims but this is a doable solution with good range of possible tires. I have several sets of 205/50-15 on my holeys and I use them for street use and they are fine.

All of these in 225/50-15:
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD $148 each 200 treadwear 24 lbs
test results for Extreme Perf Summer tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...lay.jsp?ttid=3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...lay.jsp?ttid=3
Good on handling but not as good comfort

For better blend of handling and comfort for street use then-
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 $124 240 treadwear 22 lbs 23.9" tire diam
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport $95 340 treadwear 23 lbs
Both Ultra HP Summer tires.

By the way I have used holeys for track, lapping, driving school, test and tune days, autocross, and street use. Yes the rim is narrow but with the right tires it will work. Having lots of camber up front makes a difference but I do lend my holeys to an MC owner and he does fine under the same conditions with stock camber- the tires do wear faster though.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he wants the wider size for aesthetics.....he knows he can fit them as the stock size....but they don't really look very good. They sit VERY deep in the wheel wells, and have very little lip. You can put any tire on there, but they won't be very attractive.

Stance is everything

Old 05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
goin440
6th Gear

Finding wheels with lips to match to the holies probably isn't going to happen, realistically. I don't think you'd know until you've commited to cut. I really think you should call those shops to see what they need as far as space and location/widths, etc. This is going to be the key:
there has to be room to fit the welder in there behind the bead, and a flat surface wide enough to allow it and the v-groove to do it right.
If there isn't room or a place, it won't work.

As far as adding lips 2pc style, again, the kodiak method would be best only because you can custom dimension the lips to you're liking to fit where and how you want them, including bolt placement. Before you commit to this, check for clearance of the lip bolt nuts on the back of the face and the caliper - the holey fits tight on the brake as it is. You may even be able to just drill and tap, no nuts if there is enough wheel.

Speaking of stance... grab a ruler and a level and go measure your poke with the 1.5" lip to get an idea of what it would look like.

The fronts in this photo are the same width but with lower offset. Yours would have approx 1/4" less poke (compared to the fronts only, the rears are 9" et25). These are 17s so it doesn't accurately compare to what your gap would be. Tire choice is going to be mighty important in even pulling this look off on a 15.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
all good info....though its not true that the fronts are the same width with different offset.
He ran 8's in front and 9s out back

Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
goin440
6th Gear
8s et 35, no ? Same width as the 15x8 we've been talkin. (maybe didn't clarify that in the post)

Last edited by goin440; 05-25-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by goin440
8s et 35, no ? Same width as the 15x8 we've been talkin. (maybe didn't clarify that in the post)

oooohhhh gotcha...i thought you meant same as his rears.

Yah 8 inches wide is a pretty safe size. My 15x8's should be running around et14

Old 05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
goin440
6th Gear
et14, thats awesome. I can't wait to see what it looks like.