Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brembos, Hawk HPS, and a week later clicking noise....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:27 PM
fentos
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembos, Hawk HPS, and a week later clicking noise....

I installed a set of OEM Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads (all four corners) last weekend. Everything went very smooth and has worked fine all week. Very happy with the stopping power and the smoothness of the combo. Low dust has been another great advantage.

As I said, everything has been fine all week. Probably put about 200 miles on it over the week, but last night I was out running some errands and applied the brakes to make a right hand turn and I hear a clicking sound from the drivers side front. Kept doing it on the drive home each time I would apply the brakes. It would stop if I made a left hand turn, but not the right. Once I got home, pulled the wheel off, checked it over and found nothing. This morning I went ahead and pulled off the caliper, pads, and rotor, checked it all and then reinstalled. I took it out for a drive and it's still making the noise. I'm wondering if it might be the caliper. Stopping power still feels the same, so I'm not really sure.

Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:30 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I put HPS pad on last year- original rotors/calipers. I have had the same experience as you. It's my belief that the pads shift slightly when the brakes are applied, and what you're hearing is the click as they move against the caliper housing. I notice it more now that the weather is warmer and windows are down. I guess I've become used to it and there doesn't seem to be any effect on braking reliability. The cars stops very well, no squealing, and almost no dust. I'm going to live with it. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:35 PM
fentos
3rd Gear
Thanks for the reply, but I don't believe this is the same noise. This is a very loud clicking/clunking noise. Something is not right. I just need to track down what it is exactly.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I switched to Hawk HPS & Brembo replacement rotors a bit over a month ago. I have no clicking noises. Initial bite is not as good as the OEM setup but it's close & the low dust of the Hawks is greatly appreciated My only complaint is that Brembo rotors rust disgustingly... Booo for Brembo rotors

Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
My only complaint is that Brembo rotors rust disgustingly... Booo for Brembo rotors
Cast Iron + H2O + O2 = Rust. Nothing you can do about it, except paint the exposed parts of the rotor or do your homework before ordering and look for something that's painted or plated.
Jim

Old 05-26-2007, 09:48 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimz68
Cast Iron + H2O + O2 = Rust. Nothing you can do about it, except paint the exposed parts of the rotor or do your homework before ordering and look for something that's painted or plated.
Jim
Or just stick with OEM rotors which are primered & cheaper, ultimately saving money & avoiding rust

Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 AM
fentos
3rd Gear
Well thanks to the help of Bob (apexer) I got to the bottom of the noise. It was the pads shifting around, but unlike BRGPA's noise, this couldn't have been ignored. I used some of the CRC Anti-sqeel Orange Lube on the piston and back of each pad. Took the car for a drive and it made the noise the first time or two I hit the brakes and then it just went away.