Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Haven't done this in 30 years, so...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:51 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't done this in 30 years, so...

Switch from stock to after market wheels that is. I am switching my S-Lites and runflats (Mini OEM) to the new Rota RB's and non-runflat tires, 17 inch to 16 inch. By doing this what do I need to tell the alignment folks, for optimum alignment. Will the camber/caster change much with the size switch. I don't want to show up at their mercy so any help will be appreciated. I just run on the streets, no track and the suspension is stock Mini S OEM, with 4800 miles on an 06'.

Thanks, Gene

Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I don't think your alignment or caster will change with tire/wheel changes, as they are already set, but I'll let someone else confirm this.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Shouldn't need any changes, -1 diameter should be roughly the same.
Note, you can go to X lites (V spokes) for not much money, and lose 7+lbs/corner. Lots of them for sale.
If it's for looks (or even more weight loss), then enjoy!!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Thank for the tips...

I admit it the gunmetal gray RB's are for looks. I am going through my midlife crisis at 53. So instead of a flashy red Corvette, I bought a Mini, saved $40,000 and will probably spend $2000.00 on mods and wheels.
Hey you only live once and a huge plus is my wife just says have fun with it!

Gene

Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by emsjr
Switch from stock to after market wheels that is. I am switching my S-Lites and runflats (Mini OEM) to the new Rota RB's and non-runflat tires, 17 inch to 16 inch. By doing this what do I need to tell the alignment folks, for optimum alignment. Will the camber/caster change much with the size switch. I don't want to show up at their mercy so any help will be appreciated. I just run on the streets, no track and the suspension is stock Mini S OEM, with 4800 miles on an 06'.

Thanks, Gene
Gene,

You could not have choosen to make the switch at a better time.

First you have a MINI so it's an upgrade that is going to make a huge difference.
Second you have NAM to help you.
Third, you have the internet to assist you in searching shopping and ordering.

Rota wheels you can get at various vendors.

Tirerack.com is good (see Alex) for many options on tires-
205/50-16 is good or
205/55-16 is also good for Ultra High Performance All Season tires (last a little longer, some good values possible).
Ultra High Performance Summer tires wear faster but perform a bit better, they are OK for dry or wet but not for any snow.

The only time you need to think about adjusting alignment is when you upgrade or change suspension parts such as shocks, springs, or anything that affects camber. A simple tire or wheel change like yours is OK.

But I do usually think about doing an alignment whenever changing to a new set of tires and wheels just to make sure that all is good to allow for maximum performance and long wearing of the tires.

Normally if it has been at least a year or 12,000 miles (yours is only 5000 miles on an '06) from your last alignment then you can do a four wheel thrust alignment and set the specs to the factory settings. This is optional but I usually do it about that time. Check also for any irregular wear on your old set of tires- this is a tip off that alignment is needed. Potholes and big bumps often throw off alignment over time. If you didn't hit any road hazzards and your old tires are OK (should be if only 5000 miles driven) then you could skip the alignment for now.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Thanks

Thanks for your informative post. I can't wait for the looks and the fun of the new wheels and shoes!

Gene.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gene - share some pics when you get them please!

-jac