Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Big Brake Kit for 17's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brake Kit for 17's...

I am going to have my brakes done soon and am thinking about doing a big brake kit. My wheels are stock S'Lites as well as some Kosei K1's.

Was originally going to do the JCW kit but have heard good things about the kits TCE does with Wilwoods.

Looking for the biggest, baddest, blingingest brakes I can safely fit under these wheels... anybody got experience or suggestions?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Normalizer
I am going to have my brakes done soon and am thinking about doing a big brake kit. My wheels are stock S'Lites as well as some Kosei K1's.

Was originally going to do the JCW kit but have heard good things about the kits TCE does with Wilwoods.

Looking for the biggest, baddest, blingingest brakes I can safely fit under these wheels... anybody got experience or suggestions?
Check out TCE's site and MINI pictures-
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=13

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=94130
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=100508

There are many big brake kits out there. Is this for "show" or are you going to track your MINI? Getting Kosei K1 17" rims would be a good idea as the S-lytes are too heavy to work well in a performance application.

If for show then Todd at TCE does offer aesthetic options-
Colored calipers
Drilled or slotted rotors
plating or finish to the rotors

If you care how they look (for a car show) try not to get them overheated as in heavy track use. Heat will dimish the finish.

For fitment
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/wheel_fit.html
MINI
Kit:
Street Sport -- FSL (caliper) -- 1.03 (x in inches) -- 26.04 (x in mm)

Road Race-- FSL (caliper) -- 1.33 (x in inches) -- 33.66 (x in mm)

14" -- BSL4r (caliper) -- 1.15 (x in inches) -- 29.21 (x in mm)

Measure inside the wheel at 7" from center of hub hole
Then drop from that point to the metal of the inside of the rim at that radius and it will be "x". Measure in inchest or mm and compare to the above clearances for the various kits. Bigger kits require about 0.3" or 12mm more space than the smallest kit.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
not for show, but I do want something that looks cool if possible. Just high spirited street driving. I run the Kosei's as my daily wheel, and have the S'lites with snowtires for the winter, just want the best brake kit I can get that will work with both sets of wheels.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'd be very very hard-pressed to find a 17' bbk that would fit the S-Lites... i currently run the 12.16 wilwood street kit, and required 7mm of spacers to make the s-lites fit without rubbing... i can't imagine the situation being better with the bigger 13' kits TCE sells

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
well, what I am wanting is the biggest and/or best bbk that I can use with my kosei k1's and mini s'lights. If not the 13 then how about the 12.2 kit?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Normalizer
well, what I am wanting is the biggest and/or best bbk that I can use with my kosei k1's and mini s'lights. If not the 13 then how about the 12.2 kit?
It's likely the S-lytes are going to be the limiting factor.
Try contacting Todd at TCE by phone or email.

Clearance is always the problem. Keep the wheels and going small on a big brake kit doesn't make any sense to me.

Think ahead and about the big picture. What is the point of a big brake kit that is smaller than you want and hid behind a S-lyte wheel?

Makes more sense to plan for the right big brake kit (in your case it will be for looks since street driving doesn't require a big brake kit- just upgrade pads).

Then based on the brake kit you select now plan for the right sized rims and tires to use. Likely a high clearance not too wide 17x7 rim with less offset or like most big brake kit owners, consider 18x7 or 18x7.5" rims with about +40mm offset.

What about your suspension? Problem with 18" wheels is they require lower and stiffer sidewall tires so now ride comfort is a bit harsher. And the wheels and tires add to the expense due to the brake upgrade. Looks good though.

Wheel spacers are certainly possible. If adding them then make sure your bolts or studs are long enough for locking your wheel on your hub.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
bean
5th Gear
as others have posted, the s-lites are not bbk friendly. either loose them, and stick w/ the k-1's, or look for a too big spacer. large spacers have been used successfully, but just avoid the over 5mm or under 15 mm as it will eliminate the hub centering provided by MINI. larger spacers can incorperate the hub centering w/ the spacer. the "tweeners" are the problem. stock brakes (w/ possible pad, brake line, bushings) are more than enough for a street-driven MINI. i love my TCE bbk, but it only is justified on the track (and i run differentl pads there)

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bean
but it only is justified on the track (and i run differentl pads there)
i cannot agree more with the above comment... on the street... ive tried the standard Q pads, and the BP10 pads... both react about the same as stock on the street... only when i go on the track with the A pads then the BBK really comes to life