Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire Recommendations for 15 Inch tires?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gbuff1
I've been looking for a good street tire for the track in 205/50-15 since the S03PPs became NLA....started out with Kumho MXs--now nationally back ordered (TireRack had ONE in stock which I snapped up as I trashed my left front after 3 track days). Azenis 615 and Kook Z212, the same; nobody's got 'em. Had to get the BFG KDs from Tirerack, which is an older design sticky tire that supposedly sucks big time in the wet. Well, they're on the way and I'll find out.....

Will the new Bridgestones be available in 205/50-15? Man, I sure hope so. Those or the new Yokohama Advan Neova are the way to go.
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...tirePageLocQty=
Not in any 15" size. Starts from 16". Not even that good for 17" for the MINI.

All season means good in dry or wet weather and "usable" in light snow.
Summer tires are very good in dry or wet and unusable in any snow.
Summer tires tend to wear out faster and tend to be softer rubber compound so slightly better performance. All Season tires can be priced about the same and summer tires in the same performance class.

Ultra HP tires are available as summer or all season designations- applies to HP tires as well. Max and extreme performance tires are summer only.

So ultra HP All season tires are a bit of everything good but a compromise.
Each tire is individual and some are quite good despite being in a certain class.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...tirePageLocQty=
Not in any 15" size. Starts from 16". Not even that good for 17" for the MINI.

All season means good in dry or wet weather and "usable" in light snow.
Summer tires are very good in dry or wet and unusable in any snow.
Summer tires tend to wear out faster and tend to be softer rubber compound so slightly better performance. All Season tires can be priced about the same and summer tires in the same performance class.

Ultra HP tires are available as summer or all season designations- applies to HP tires as well. Max and extreme performance tires are summer only.

So ultra HP All season tires are a bit of everything good but a compromise.
Each tire is individual and some are quite good despite being in a certain class.
Read 90STX's post.....if they'll be available in 195/50-15 I'm hoping they'll make 205s too.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by gbuff1
Read 90STX's post.....if they'll be available in 195/50-15 I'm hoping they'll make 205s too.
Yes, 195/50-15 is possible but no word on other 15" sizes. If anyone hears then post it. Maybe check with Alex@tirerack.com if he has heard anything.

I would not be complaining if they did make more sizes in 15" and 205/50-15 is a good size for many cars.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:05 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, 195/50-15 is possible but no word on other 15" sizes. If anyone hears then post it. Maybe check with Alex@tirerack.com if he has heard anything.

I would not be complaining if they did make more sizes in 15" and 205/50-15 is a good size for many cars.
Couldn't agree more.....these companies are losing out big-time by not producing these sizes, especially with the popularity of the street-tire autox classes......as I said before, the Azenis 615 and the Hankook Z212 are back-ordered from the factory. I can't find them anywhere. At this point, those two are the only game in town for a max-performance street tire in that size.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Ladybug
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minihune:
Thanks for answering all of my questions. I have just one more question:
4) BF Goodrich g-Force Sports are OK tires. I don't think I have mentioned them at all in this thread yet. Reread the suggested tires and compare them head to head against the g-Force Sport. Is there a particular reason you are looking at them over other choices?:
Under the reviews' section of the BF Goodrich g-Force Sports on Tirerack, a user recommended the 195/55/R15 size for the cooper and also stated that it was the same tire size used by the John Cooper Works racers. I am unsure about the legitimacy of this claim but if that tire size is good enough for them... well I guess I'd feel more assured of doing so on mine. This is why I was initially more inclined towards the 195's until you recommended the 205's. What do you think? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by Ladybug
minihune:
Thanks for answering all of my questions. I have just one more question:

Under the reviews' section of the BF Goodrich g-Force Sports on Tirerack, a user recommended the 195/55/R15 size for the cooper and also stated that it was the same tire size used by the John Cooper Works racers. I am unsure about the legitimacy of this claim but if that tire size is good enough for them... well I guess I'd feel more assured of doing so on mine. This is why I was initially more inclined towards the 195's until you recommended the 205's. What do you think? Thanks.
195/55-15 is smaller than stock tire diameter by 1" so expect your speedometer to show a speed faster than actual and you'll log miles on your odometer faster than actual.

A better size is 205/55-15 which is 23.9" and about 1/2" shorter than stock and close enough for daily use.

Racing applications may make use of tires like 195/50-15 and 205/50-15 for their even smaller tire diameters which provide the equivalent of lowered gearing which aids in quick acceleration in lower gears

Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I see that Tire rack is closing out the Avon M500 in a 205-50-15 @ $59 ea. It's a summer z-rated tire. Does anyone have any input on these for street and occasional track use? I really know nothing of the brand and would like to know if anyone has had success with these.

Would it be better to go with a Hankook Z212 in the same size instead for the track?

Last edited by welshmenwillnotyield; 06-22-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 AM
90STX
5th Gear
The Avon M500 is a really nice 3-season tire. Very good street manners, with predictable break-away characteristics and grip. I didn't track mine (205/50-16), but ended up using them for a number of autocrosses when I couldn't transport my R compounds. They did well, not quite what an Azenis manages in terms of dry grip and turn-in, but very close. On the street, they superior for day-to-day use. Quiet, handle water well, not too harsh.

For that price, you'll find them hard to beat.

Scott
90SM

Old 06-23-2007, 05:51 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Thanks for your input...it's appreciated. Every little bit of additional info on the Avon Tech M500 helps me to make a decision. I've read a lot about the Hankook Z212, so that's not the issue...what is, is knowing a bit more about the Avon. Personal usage input certainly helps a lot!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM
minihune
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
I see that Tire rack is closing out the Avon M500 in a 205-50-15 @ $59 ea. It's a summer z-rated tire. Does anyone have any input on these for street and occasional track use? I really know nothing of the brand and would like to know if anyone has had success with these.

Would it be better to go with a Hankook Z212 in the same size instead for the track?
Avon Tech M500 is very good for street use and that's a good price.
It has good handling but for track use if the tread is new, don't drive too hard or you risk chunking (over heating the outer layers) the tread. 205/50-15 is small on tire diameter so odometer and speedometer will read higher than actual. 280 treadwear W speed rated 20 lbs. Tests are good-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=51

An alternative near to the same price would be
http://edgeracing.com/tire/5526/
Falken Ziex Ze-912 for $56 each 360 treadwear H speed rated 20.4 lbs
More of a street tire than the M500, comfortable and all season.
Not likely to be able to keep up with the M500 for handling.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:28 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Avon Tech M500 is very good for street use and that's a good price.
It has good handling but for track use if the tread is new, don't drive too hard or you risk chunking (over heating the outer layers) the tread. 205/50-15 is small on tire diameter so odometer and speedometer will read higher than actual. 280 treadwear W speed rated 20 lbs. Tests are good-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=51

An alternative near to the same price would be
http://edgeracing.com/tire/5526/
Falken Ziex Ze-912 for $56 each 360 treadwear H speed rated 20.4 lbs
More of a street tire than the M500, comfortable and all season.
Not likely to be able to keep up with the M500 for handling.
Thanks for the info on the tire chunking. How long should I drive on these before I track them?

Also, thanks for the additional info on the Falken 912s. Now, I'm back to square one, as I still have not bought my new 15" tires. The all season aspect does appeal to me, but then, with the 16" Kumho ASX all seasons I just purchased, I probably don't need the Falkens and will probably go with the Avons at the track.

I see the Falkens are H-rated, as well. Do you feel they would hold up better than the Avons, considering that the Avons are w-rated?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
NotMyMini
1st Gear
I've also been shopping for a new set of tires for my sister's 04' Cooper.

The continentals didn't feel all that great when I drove them and she only has about 38k miles and the tires have started to show wear.

I've long been a fan of Yokohamas...in particularly I'm looking at their V4s in size 205/55/VR15.

Can anyone comment on these or should I stick on another set of Continentals ContiProContact at 175/65/15?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by NotMyMini
I've also been shopping for a new set of tires for my sister's 04' Cooper.

The continentals didn't feel all that great when I drove them and she only has about 38k miles and the tires have started to show wear.

I've long been a fan of Yokohamas...in particularly I'm looking at their V4s in size 205/55/VR15.

Can anyone comment on these or should I stick on another set of Continentals ContiProContact at 175/65/15?

Yokohama V4S is good.
For 15" it only comes in 205/55-15. $74 each
500 tread wear V speed rated 21 lbs
Gets good customer ratings
Tests are average
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...Model=AVID+V4S
Likely that Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS is a better tire.
195/60-15 $68 but may not last as long. Better handling and comfort.

In High Performance All Season tires
Pilot Exalto A/S is highest rated by customers but more expensive

Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
NotMyMini
1st Gear
I might end up jumping on the v4s since I'm looking for longevity and comfort with better wet traction. I was just worried that the different tire size will be a problem, but after reading this thread it doesn't sound like it as long as the wheels can support them and as long as I keep the diameter within +/- 3%. Which in the case of the 205/55/15 woudl be at .03%.

Thanks for your voice in this minihune.

Last edited by NotMyMini; 07-12-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Thanks for the info on the tire chunking. How long should I drive on these before I track them?

Also, thanks for the additional info on the Falken 912s. Now, I'm back to square one, as I still have not bought my new 15" tires. The all season aspect does appeal to me, but then, with the 16" Kumho ASX all seasons I just purchased, I probably don't need the Falkens and will probably go with the Avons at the track.

I see the Falkens are H-rated, as well. Do you feel they would hold up better than the Avons, considering that the Avons are w-rated?
Several considerations. For best results, tire tread needs not to be new when used on the track. Usually new tread is about 10/32nd inch deep and that makes it more prone to chunking. The top layer gets overheated quickly and sheers off from the cooler lower layers of rubber- similar to how your skin sheers and you get a blister from friction. Usually we look for 4/32nd tread depth for best results so half worn tires will tend to wear better than new tires whenever you do performance driving. You can't always wait that long so if you do drive with deep tread just be careful and don't push too hard, allow the tires to heat up slower and drive smoothly.

Any H rated tires are not really built to handle heat. W, Y or Z rated tires are much better at that. Avons would be better for track but won't last as long.

We don't have much info on the new Falken tires so it's hard to say if they will do better than the Avons or not. I'd guess that they will be similar with slight edge to the Avons. Depends on how hard to are on the tires.

I had one instructor at driving school that drove my Maxima with H- rated 3 year old All Season tires faster than anyone and lapped all the modded MINIs with Bridgestone Potenza S-03s. I could not drive my own car that fast but he had enough skill to do so. The tires were toast by the end of the day so I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE950 and those were really good street tires.