Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilwood big brake kit

Just wondering if anyone has installed a Wilwood big brake kit. The big question is, will the flat tire notification light be able to be hooked back up or will you lose that option all together? And if not will the dash light be constantly on because the car thinking it has a flat tire due to the wires not being hooked up.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There are dozens if not a hundred or more cars in service with these kits.

Tire pressure monitors are in the wheels not the brakes. Pressure is the same regardless. If you mean brake pad wear sensors, then no they will not remain functional on most BBKs as the pads are not made to fit the wear sensor. Simply removing the sensor will not trigger the lamp, and if I recall you can bypass the lamp with a key programing also.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed one of Todds kits. Awesome Todd! No issues with the flat tire monitor. that is in the hub not the capiler or disk. HOWEVER you will lose the brake pad warning circut. As with my BMW, strip the ends (after cutting the insert that goes into the OE pad) and tie them together (I soldered in addition) heat shrink it and tuck out of way. You can make the wire as long or short as you want it after you cut the end off. The warning light will cycle off in about 10 to 12 restarts give or take. Mine did no issues. (if was already on since my OE pads wore down. If you do this BEFORE breaking the circut meaning you MAY be able to not trip the warning if you just tie up the lead with insert in check you may never see the light at all. But remember you'll have to check the system yourself now. Oh and I got rid of the rear warning system as well. You can leave yours in place.

-C

Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
nocivic
2nd Gear
Hey thanks a ton for the info. I guess I'll be doing the install this weekend. I'll have to post a few pictures after I'm done.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
CXRK
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Your welcome.

Also if your doing the two piece rotor (hat and disc) remember you'll be safety wiring it. DO NOT BLOW THIS OFF! Also pay attention to the way the wire goes. You want to make sure if a bolt backs off it will pull against the wire (and "tightening" the opposite bolt) if this happens. Fully described in the directions but just keep this in mind.

-C

Old 06-07-2007, 07:53 AM
nocivic
2nd Gear
Oh Yea, I totally understand the importance of the safety wire thing. I’m in the Navy and work on Aircraft and we do a ton of safety wiring but thanks for the concern. I’m going to do a dry install this afternoon “meaning I’m going to take off the stock calipers & rotors without removing the break lines and install the Wilwood kit & wheels to make sure everything clears. I didn’t think I would need any spacers but hey you never know. I’ll let you know how it turns out.