Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

$%#@$%^&*! Curb!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$%#@$%^&*! Curb!!!

Just started a new job so I dont know the parking lot that well. As I was turning into the parking lot I heard the worst sound and the car jumped up and came down......thinking to myself WTF!! I get out and there is a curb sticking out about 6 feet, talk about a stupid design . I can see that many people have done the same based on the damage to the curb.

Anyways I look under my car and the front right jack mount was sheared off the car and a chunk was taken out of my 18" rim. As this point I am cussing which could probably heard over the leaf blower being used about 10 feet away . I take a look under the car to make sure nothing else is wrong. The jack mount took the major hit saving the body from damage. I figured I had bent the wheel but the ASA's seem to be pretty strong.

Question (s) would I need to get the wheel alignment done? The car doesnt pull to the right when accelerating or when braking. No issue while driving.

Now the wheel......(thank god for the Wheel insurance I bought at the dealership.) Problem they dont make 18" ASA in silver anymore........anyone know of a good wheel repair in the Bay Area?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
JT MINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rossi,

Sorry to hear about the incident. Same situation happened to my MBZ AMG long ago and I had "Wheels Technique" in Santa Clara do the repair. The result was astounishing, better than new!

www.wheeltechniques.com

3280 Edward Ave # D
Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 866-5859

Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Canvasmonkey
2nd Gear
Dang, sorry man!!! I had mine two days into ownership after some a-hole (suitable title) parked me in and I had to roll over a curb to get out. Damage was minor but it was enough to **** me off.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
minjae
6th Gear
i almost got some curb damage the other day when leaving my house..it wasnt going backwards as smooth as usual..i was like..uh oh...
went out to check but LUCKILY only the tire rubbed on the curb..talk about luck...sorry to hear about your curb damages..i did get one pretty bad one in the winter time tho..slid in the snow and popped a curb covered with a pile of snow..took a tiny chunk out of my r98's..
but it's hardly noticeable. :impatient
goodluck in gettin it fixed!! curbs suck..we can all live without them..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Little Hawaii
Neutral
Rim Repair

Now that we've hit these curbs, I've heard that a grinder can be used the smooth small scratches, and then they can be painted with a special paint. does anyone know about this process? Any idea what kind of paint is used? A guy here wants to charge me $100 for EACH scratch on EACH rim.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
TrboKrt
2nd Gear
I hit a pointed curb coming out of a parking garage at my last job. I had used that exit many times before but I really slammed it good. Pissed me off that whole weekend. The curb hit right where the rim edge stops and the tire meets the rim. Gouged a 2 inch area on the top edge of the machined rim area.

I had a mobile wheel repair guy come out and watched him do the whole thing. He used an air sander and sanded the metal down smooth and took out a bit of the clear coat around the lip. He then worked it with wet sanding and dry and moved on to "painting the metal. The paint is a mix that matched perfectly. He used an airbrush to apply it and feathered it onto the rim all around. After the paint dried a bit and some tweaking of the color by sanding it off and putting lines in to look like the machined lines with the sand paper, he applied the clear coat.

The process took maybe an hour and a half. They charged 125 for each rim regardless of how many blemishes on the rim. If it were any worse they would have taken the rim to their shop and re-machined the lip to original. That would have taken 3 days and I was going somewhere on the weekend.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
i repaired 2 wheels a few weeks ago on my Legacy. my wife made
some nice curbage on them. turned out nice. but im not sure how to
fix polished lips like those ASA's...anyone know?

i was thinking the process would be the same (spot bondo, sand, paint)
but the final process of polishing the silver paint would be necessary.

what paint would i use? are there special paints that appear in the
polished color?

ive polished standard silver enamel paint to have a nice reflective polished
finish....but not sure if that's the way to do it.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
324 view and no recommendations. i suppose this is some sort of
special paint they use.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I had this happen to me and not only did I need an alignment, I had to have my steering rack, two wheels and two tires replaced. It was nasty.