Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:01 PM
jedorme
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flat Tires

Our new '07 MC is on the ship and hope to take delivery in the next few weeks. We ordered the sport package with the 16" run flats & I asked to have aired tires instead but the dealer said not possible. Friends of mine with run flats on their sports cars have switched them out due to harsh ride and steering issues (tires follow every groove in the road). What has been the experience with the Mini Cooper with run flats and if changed, what tires are recommended. I would be interested in Michelin Pilots PS2 or the Michelin Exalto tires but would like to hear what others know about them.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Lots of threads about runflat tires in this forum. Try the search tool. Generally some like them because of insecurity issues of not having a spare. Many dislike them for the reasons you specify. It depends on your priorities. I Kept my runflats until I wore them out and rather enjoyed having tires I was trying to wear out! My new Goodyear f1 gs d3 (have I got that right . . . the tire name is like a password!) are an absolute joy. So much better than the Dunlops I had. I'm not particularly insecure about having a flat tire and consider my back up plans (air compressor, plug kit, slime) to be more than adequate for what may come up.

Welcome to the forum!

By the way, you can sell the new tires here for a resonable amount coincidentally enough to purchase any number of good performance tires from the Tirerack (or at another tire shop). Many of those who like runflats appreciate the savings you can offer them.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
What Bluebonnet said.

Note that even the runflats are 'aired', they just have super thick sidewalls so they can go 80 miles if the supplied air were to go motoring without you, or vice-versa.

Many have swapped out RFs for conventional tires.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
jedorme
1st Gear
Run Flat Response

Many thanks for the prompt response to my query about run flat tires. I would be interested in finding someone on this forum who might be interested in a brand new set of 16" run flats, which I presume maybe Dunlops but I honestly don't know because the dealer couldn't tell me what would be on the MC when we got it. The car will be delivered in Las Vegas in the next few weeks ( we hope, it's been on the ship for about 10 days), and if we can't find someone that would like to have the tires, I will try to find a local tire dealer to take them in trade before having been driven to get the Michelin tires I would like. Thank you again BlueBonnet & Eric Bowland and I look forward to being a member and contributor to the NAM site - what a great find for a brand new MC owner - our first sports car was a British Leyland MGA Coupe in 1962 and after many others in between, including BMW's and Porsches, we are glad to be returning to the fold.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 AM
jedorme
1st Gear
Newbee Questions

By the way, how do you create those cool graphics and signature/header/footer symbols and photos that you folks have on your postings? I'm not computer illiterate (I've been using a Mac since they first came into being) but I am new to this site. Help!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Click on User CP (upper left)
Click on Edit Signature
Click on Insert Signature Picture (this needs to be hosted somewhere, or uploaded using the 'sig-o-matic' below User CP)

At this point I can't recall if I uploaded it or it's hosted somewhere :impatient
Here is the URL - looks like I uploaded it. Somewhere around here there is a stock of the 'owners club' 'badges'.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gpic7385_2.gif

Welcome to NAM!
You should definitely be able to sell them on NAM - likely for a better deal than you'll get from a dealer.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Changing out the runflats was the best thing I've done so far. Gone are the vague handling, trammeling, and most important, torque steer. I feel like I'm driving a different car. The bone jarring ride is gone as well.

I looked at the Michelins, which I've always used on BMW's, but in the end, decided on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Here is a link to them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Cooper+S

Old 06-19-2007, 05:16 AM
Fidge
4th Gear
I am looking for 16" runflats and would gladly take them off your hands
Are u sure u are getting 16" though? I thought the sport package has 17"?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just swapped out my runflats for "normal" tires. The ride is sooooooooo much better (I think I can actually keep my cap on my molar now).

Funny thing though... and if anyone knows about this problem and a fix for it, please chime in. Since I swapped out for non-runflats, whenever the Low Fuel Warning light comes on, so does the Flat Tire Warning light. As soon as I fuel up, it goes off.

Odd.

Really odd.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Minzila
3rd Gear
Run Flats

The "Run Flats" supplied on the 07's are much improved over the ones on the earlier models. I just bought a set of Goodyear "Run Flats" off an 07 and am really impressed. Try them before you sell them.

Minzila

Old 06-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Mike02MCS
2nd Gear
Non runflats do provide a smoother ride, especially if you go from 17" to 16". The other consideration is cost - when my first set of runflats wore out I had MINI of Scottsdale replace them with the same 17" runflat tires. When those wore out, I bought 4 new wheels and tires for less than 4 runflats would cost! My latest set of tires are Avon Tech M500 in 215/50-16 from Tire Rack. Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a '07 MC with the Sport Package (I chose 16" Bridge Spokes). But I also specified All-Season tires. They are Continental ContiPro Contact SSR runflats. They are quite satisfactory for my driving style and road conditions. When they wear out I may replace them with non-runflats. But that is not going to be for quite awhile.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 AM
jedorme
1st Gear
Run Flats

Many thanks for the assurances about the run flats on my '07 MC. The Mini site says that the sport package includes either 16 inch aluminum alloy 5-Star Blaster wheels or 16 inch Bridge Spoke wheels, with either performance or all-season tires.

Our MA didn't ask us about which tires or wheels we wanted so at this point I assume that Mini will put whatever they consider their default tire/wheel choices. Does anybody know what that would be? I 've got a call into our MA but haven't heard back.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the website 'configuremonster' you specifically have to choose 'Bridge Spoke' and 'All Season' tires - so I suspect you will get 5-Star and Performance if you didn't specify otherwise.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
jedorme
1st Gear
Eric - I followed your directions and I hope that I managed to add an Oxygen Blue Owners Club logo to my signature. I should be able to tell when I send this and thanks again for the help.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:26 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Good job jedorme!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
old81
M6
Wheels?

Originally Posted by Mike02MCS
Non runflats do provide a smoother ride, especially if you go from 17" to 16". The other consideration is cost - when my first set of runflats wore out I had MINI of Scottsdale replace them with the same 17" runflat tires. When those wore out, I bought 4 new wheels and tires for less than 4 runflats would cost! My latest set of tires are Avon Tech M500 in 215/50-16 from Tire Rack. Couldn't be happier.
Mike,

What wheels did you pair with the Avon's? How is the road noise with the 16s and the Avon's.

jedorme Our new '07 MC is on the ship and hope to take delivery in the next few weeks.
jedorme, congrats on your 07, keep us informed and put up pictures after you get your MC.

Don S. (old81) & scooter

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the large retail tire places (e.g, Discount Tire) will do an exchange of your new runflats for a tire of your choice witht a pretty generous trade-in allowance - last time I did it, I got the new tires for the difference in the catalog price between the swapped tires. I'd call around and get some quotes. Then you just drive over and get them swapped immediately after you take delivery. This is probably by far your most convenient option.

- Mark

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
jedorme
1st Gear
markjenn - glad to hear that you were able to do this and I will plan to call some of the major tire places in Las Vegas to see what I can work out. So far I have been getting zero help from the dealer in wanting first to order the car w/o run flats, and then trying to exchange them. I hope the actual delivery works out better than the ordering has- time will tell.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Mike02MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Mike,

What wheels did you pair with the Avon's? How is the road noise with the 16s and the Avon's.

Don S. (old81) & scooter
Don - I got a set of Koenig Holes in dark silver. Pretty good match for my DS MINI. They only weigh a little over 16 pounds - another plus. The Avons are very quiet and after 12K miles I haven't noticed any increase in noise. They are also good in rain!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I've got about 150 miles on the Goodyear F1 GS D3s . . . I thought I was pretty smart wearing out the runflats first but this is like going from a Subaru to a Saab; a Taurus to a Volvo; a VW Squareback to a Karman Ghia: Had I known then what I know now (no, this isn't about dating) I'd have ditched the runflats just as suggested. I'm surprised your dealer won't meet your wishes on the tires, I assume my dealer would have done this for me. I've bought some tires at Discount Tire and think they would do this too. Let us know how it works out.

You'll love having the good tires from the start! I'll go so far as to say that the handling improvement is eqivalent to the power improvement between the Cooper and the Cooper S. Seriously, I'm not spinning my wheels anymore.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 AM
SilverRocket
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coffeeman
Changing out the runflats was the best thing I've done so far. Gone are the vague handling, trammeling, and most important, torque steer. I feel like I'm driving a different car. The bone jarring ride is gone as well.

I looked at the Michelins, which I've always used on BMW's, but in the end, decided on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Here is a link to them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Cooper+S
^ +1

I wound up going to lighter 16" wheels and Dunlop Sport Maxx a week or two after I bought my MINI. Couldn't stand the run-flats. I wound up hanging onto my OE S-Lites w/ AS run flats for winter/spare usage.

I liked the Dunlop Sport Maxx quite a bit on my '06 MCS. Very reasonable price, good grip rain or shine, no noticeable noise, and worlds better ride quality than the runflats. I got around 8K miles on mine before they got eaten by the raised corner of one of those steel road plate thingies. Gotta love the DoT.

Dunno what the stock front camber is like on the R56 models, but if it's anything like the the R53 plan on rotating whatever tires you go with every 1500 - 2000 miles or so if you enjoy taking turns at speed and want even tread wear.

Last edited by SilverRocket; 06-21-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 AM
hegira
3rd Gear
Hi,
I've wanted to weigh in on this topic for some time now. Emily ('02 MCS Chili Red w/ a Black Hat) has the 17" Pirelli Euforia run-flats, and while the ride definitely sucks eggs, the handling is exceptional. I've experienced very little in the way of tramlining, and the road noise is acceptable. Wet traction is very good, and I REALLY have to push it to induce any kind of loss of traction (Gawd, I love on ramps!).
Now having said that, when the time comes for replacement, I'm going with Goodyear F1 GS D3's in 17" I did some digging on the inter-web, and found a road test (I think it was Road & Track, maybe Car & Driver) that rated the top 10 tires in non-winter driving, and the Goodyears beat out everything, including the Michilen Pilot Sports, which were my first initial choice.
FWIW, last November I bought some plain-Jane 16" steel rims, and put skinny Bridgestone Blizzaks on, and Emily feels like she could climb trees, the traction in snow is so good.
Best of luck, whatever route you take.

Thankee,
Hegira