Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TSW's new BDM kit - yeah, it's BIG

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:42 PM
txwerks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some weights, for those interested:

11.75 x 1.25" rotor - 11 pounds
Rotor hat - 1.5 pounds
Hardware (rotor/hat) - ~0.5 pounds

Total for rotor - ~13 pounds, ready to rock

Caliper - 3 pounds
Caliper bracket (dog bone) - 1 pound
Hardware (caliper/bracket) - ~0.5 pounds

Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 PM
txwerks
Banned
Huzzah! Parts will be back from anodizing on Monday... We'll post pics when we have parts in hand!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweeeeet...can't wait to find out if the kit will fit under my wheels, cross our fingers.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
txwerks
Banned
And now, the final product... The gunmetal finish is subtle and GORGEOUS... Blingy? No, it's all business.

Dr. Mike got tired of killing brakes at the track, so he engineered the biggest BBK that he could come up with that would still fit under 15" wheels (our preferred size for track work, shod in 225/45 or 225/50R15 R-compound goodness!).

These are quite simply the biggest, baddest brakes that will stuff under a 15" wheel - period. Dr. Mike tested, Dr. Mike approved!

The kit features:
- 11.75" x 1.25" Coleman lightweight rotors
- Custom TSW billet hats
- Custom TSW billet brackets
- Custom Outlaw 2000 Series calipers
- Goodridge SS brake lines
- Aircraft hardware for rotor/hat connection
- Beefy hardware and metal pinch nuts
- Your choice of pads - Porterfield R4-S (street/AX), Porterfield R4 (AX/light track), Raybestos ST-43 (all out track)

All billet pieces, including hats, brackets and calipers hard anodized in a gunmetal finish. Rotors w/ hats weigh ~12.5 pounds. Not much more than stock, but oh-so-much wider!

http://www.txwerks.com/servlet/Detail?no=132

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
And now, the final product...
Pretty slick!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is pad replacement possible without removing the caliper?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snid

Yes, the pads are located with a pin that visible in the top center of the caliper. It was one of the concerns I had too and I checked it out when I saw the preproduction unit.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by snid
Nate already answered this, but yes, you can swap pads readily when you're swapping wheels at the track!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
terryg
4th Gear
Do you have the fitment template available yet?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by terryg
Do you have the fitment template available yet?
Coming soon... very soon...

We'll also have a fitment party this weekend, where we test fit as many wheels as we can get our hands on...

Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Let me know if they will sneak under 16" Enkei OR-52s

Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM
txwerks
Banned
We had our wheel fitment party this weekend... I'll post an updated list here in a bit.

Of all the OEM wheels we tested, only the R90's fit. All other OEM wheels do not provide enough clearance, including the OEM GP wheels (plenty of clearance outside the caliper, but the caliper is too close to the spokes).

Some of the aftermarket wheels tested were OZ Ultraleggera (16 and 17's fit fine, +37), Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's (15 w/ +38 and 17's with +42 work fine), NZO 16x7 Speedy Star (looks like a knockoff of the Kosei K1, works great), BS RC (17x7, +42 worked great), Rota Slipstream (16x7 with +45 does NOT provide enough clearance, +40 works fine), BBS RV-F (17x7.5, +42 works great). Of all the aftermarket wheels tested, only the 16x7 Rota Slipstream with the +45 didn't pass. Most track-friendly wheels clear just fine, give a +42 or greater offset and curved spokes for clearance.

Dr. Mike is drawing up a template and we'll have it available very soon... Check that - the template is DONE and I'll be posting it shortly!

Last edited by txwerks; 09-17-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
txwerks
Banned
And here's the template... Also a link is up in the BBK page of our website...

We suggest cutting it out and taping to something stiffer... but, measure away!

http://www.txwerks.com/images/Instal...ILHOUETTE1.pdf

Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 PM
txwerks
Banned
The first non-TSW track report is in via Graham Chandler... For the record, he's running ST-43 pads up front for track days, Porterfield R4's in the rear.

"Totally blown away by these brakes!"

All I can say is Wow! With the Texas Speedwerks BBK, my car feels like a Formula car! Made for the track! Much later braking available because the stopping power is there. My Wilwoods would get the job done, but now I feel I can leave the braking later meaning more speed on the straightaway and shorter lap times.

Race harnesses mandatory if you want to stay in your seat!!!! I also see the HANS device in my future. The only thing that's stopping me is the cost, as it's as much as the brake kit. Carbon Fiber HANS (head and neck support) devices run $1200.00 or more.

Anyway, easily outbraked the Brembo-equipped Porsches allowing me to give them some serious hassle on the twisty parts of the track and then get the passing signal on the straight. Zero fade is a sweet thing!

Here are some pix:

http://www.chandler-motorsports.com/album11 "

Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
I'm super-jazzed about these brakes. My setup was delivered to Custom Mini Shop last week & after everyone in the club oohing-ahhhing & threatening install on their own cars, they're officially going on my car tomorrow. I'm changing up from my less than mediocre Ireland BBK & I'll share my thoughts as soon as I get some drive time in. This past Saturday morning, I woke up early just to drive to CMS to touch/feel/pet/take pictures of the TSW rotor(s) & caliper(s). Y'all are right -- these things are friggin' massive!!! These things will be sliding behind my new flat black matte 17x7 SSR's, so they'll look as uber-cool as they perform. I'll keep you posted!

Based on visual impressions, my comment to all my car buddies is "they look big enough to stop the NASA shuttle on re-entry".

Last edited by Fracky; 10-01-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Ok, so the TSW BBK has been on my car for 1 week & I've already noticed an improvement, even though I'm still in the initial break-in period. My Ireland "BBK" had some issues shall we say & going from a 2-piston to 4-piston caliper has cut my braking distance.
I noticed right away that build quality was top-notch, service-support has been great on TSW's part (for CMS) & the setup looks uber-sexy behind my black SSR's. Great job on your product development guys!
Brad & Dr.Steve (Custom Mini Shop) advised to drive normally for the first couple weeks before taking a trip to the mountains for some hard driving. I'll continue to keep you posted (since it appears I'm one of the first people with the conversion) with my impressions & what this conversion means to someone who's car spends 100% on the street & 0% on the track.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious to know how these compare to brembos.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can the calipers work with stock size rotors? I realize they are made for a thicker rotor, but they can just be let out more right?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by scott48
I'm curious to know how these compare to brembos.
I can't give you a direct comparison to the Brembos, but our rotor's about the widest you can stuff under the MINI... Performance-wise, on the track, we don't think this kit has an equal for anything that fits under 15 and 16" wheels.

We've been kicking around the idea of engineering a 13x1.25" kit for extra silliness - would require running 17's for sure.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Can the calipers work with stock size rotors? I realize they are made for a thicker rotor, but they can just be let out more right?
No, the calipers are designed to work with a 1.25" rotor only... All BBK calipers are designed to work with the rotor thickness of their kit - and none of them will work with an OEM rotor, as they are noticeably skinnier than even a 0.81" rotor...

Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by Fracky
I'll continue to keep you posted (since it appears I'm one of the first people with the conversion) with my impressions & what this conversion means to someone who's car spends 100% on the street & 0% on the track.
Thanks - that'll be the second 'street only' setup out there. We have another customer here locally that installed our BBK with R4-S pads up front and out back. He LOVES them...

Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I wish this was developed when I had needed new brakes. 20,000 miles later and my Powerslots & Hawk pads are still like new, so I wont need new brakes for a long time.

Yes, yes, my car is low milage. But its the nature of my city. There are only so many ways to go in circles.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Yes, yes, my car is low milage. But its the nature of my city. There are only so many ways to go in circles.
The track can eat them up pretty quick - why not head out to the local circuit or do a time attack?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Originally Posted by txwerks
Thanks - that'll be the second 'street only' setup out there. We have another customer here locally that installed our BBK with R4-S pads up front and out back. He LOVES them...
Ok, my verdict is in - couldn't be happier with my TSW BBK & won't be switching to anything else. This past Saturday morning, another Cooper buddy & I went on a "spirited drive" in the mountains outside of Fresno. Not only was the braking, complete lack of fade & sensitivity top-notch, but the best part was I so at ease with my braking capacity that I wasn't nervous about being able to slow from 'xx'mph to 20mph in <30 feet. Great product guys!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 AM
drmike@txwerks.com
Banned
Originally Posted by Fracky
Ok, my verdict is in - couldn't be happier with my TSW BBK & won't be switching to anything else. This past Saturday morning, another Cooper buddy & I went on a "spirited drive" in the mountains outside of Fresno. Not only was the braking, complete lack of fade & sensitivity top-notch, but the best part was I so at ease with my braking capacity that I wasn't nervous about being able to slow from 'xx'mph to 20mph in <30 feet. Great product guys!!!
Cool! I did some canyon runs with the MINI this morning, and the brakes were awesome. Usually I start picking apart our products after spending time with them (there's always room for improvement) but so far this one has only made me happy!

Quick Reply: TSW's new BDM kit - yeah, it's BIG