Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What non-runflats do most dealers sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What non-runflats do most dealers sell?

Looking to switch out runflats upon delivery. Generally speaking, for a 17 inch rim, what non-runflats to dealers sell?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:48 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't buy tires from the dealer

Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drsms22
Looking to switch out runflats upon delivery. Generally speaking, for a 17 inch rim, what non-runflats to dealers sell?
Assuming you mean car dealers, they sell cars. Check out tirerack.com, just look up your car and you will find what they sell

Old 07-07-2007, 08:49 AM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Assuming you mean car dealers, they sell cars. Check out tirerack.com, just look up your car and you will find what they sell

+1

Pleeeease don't buy them from your dealer. In fact, I think dealerships mark them up insanely high just because they don't really want to sell you wheels/tires.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Discount Tire, Tire Rack, Edge Racing, or Vulcan Tire Sales will give you FAR better deals and selections than your dealer.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Yup. Just have them dropped shipped to the dealer, and they can take more of your money than is reasonable to swap them out.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
To clarify. I'm trying to swap to non-runflats when the car arrives.

If I can get the dealer to take off the runflats and allow me to take a loss but to give me some non-runflats it is easier for me. So, if I can pull this off, which all season regular tires should I get?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:15 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Drsms22
If I can get the dealer to take off the runflats and allow me to take a loss but to give me some non-runflats it is easier for me. So, if I can pull this off, which all season regular tires should I get?
Still not a good choice-
The dealer doesn't really want to handle your runflats even if they could sell them for $200+ each. They would need to dismount them and store them.

The dealer can get non runflats but they will charge you for the service unless you can cut a deal. Not so likely unless you are good friends with them.

The dealer will not the have kind of selection of tires that will suit your MINI in all likelihood.

So what do most owners do?
They use up the runflats in a year or two.
Swap off the runflats and save or sell them.
Buy new non runflats from tire vendors like tirerack.com
If you order tires from vendors you can have them shipped to you cheaply and even shipped to preferred tire installation shops- check with tirerack- talk to Alex.

Do you really like the 17" MINI wheel options? If so then that's fine but if you can use the 16" wheels or want to sell your stock wheels then you can buy lighter rims and have tires mounted and balanced and sent to you all at once. Then you make some money back on the sold OEM wheels and tires and get new rims and non runflat tires. You have a big selection of wheels and big selection of tires.

If you are in a winter area you can use the stock 16" rims for snow tires.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Well said minihune!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
May I ask why you are in such a rush to change to non-runflats? Do you have personal experience with the run flats that you are going to be getting, or is it because so many people write that they don't like them?

What size are they going to be?

I see you are in Maryland... how much do you want for your new runflats (tires only).

YD

Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
May I ask why you are in such a rush to change to non-runflats? Do you have personal experience with the run flats that you are going to be getting, or is it because so many people write that they don't like them?

What size are they going to be?

I see you are in Maryland... how much do you want for your new runflats (tires only).

YD
From Drsms22's sig:
2004 MCS BRG with Cordoba: Gone but remembered fondly.
2006 MINI Cooper S cabrio. White with black leather. Premium, Sport, Cold Weather Packages and Nav.: A Limo: Gone but remembered fondly
2006 MINI Cooper S cabrio with full JCW tuning kit, brakes, wheels, interior and exterior swag. - Has arrived. Be still my heart.

Seems Drsms22 has past experience with MINIs and runflats.
Likely runflats may not be the best option so seeking non runflat ride quality as quickly as possible.

There is a market for new runflats in 16 or 17" but you just have to find a buyer, hopefully in your area.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Runflats

This is my third of the new MINIs, all mcs cars. I am very old. I don't go around corners that fast all the time. I have kidney problems. The runflats hurt me. They bend easy when hitting potholes no matter how hard I try to avoid them. The non-runflats make me feel comfortable and I can still corner with greater agility than most people and enjoy the turns. I just carry an MC spare behind the passenger seat and I rarely have passengers back there. So, I know runflats run when they are flat and they are better performing tires, but I don't care. My mini with non-runflats is more fun than anything out there.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just shred your runflats while you are getting used to the new car and then get new tires. I accomplished this in just a few months with just a bit of sincere effort. .