Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help?

Ok I tried to search....i plan on lowering my car with the m7 spring pretty soon....Im also ordering a set of 18inch flik wasps....I want to run a 215x40x18 will that fit and tuck with no rubbing? Would i be better off with a 215x35x18? Any pictures of the wasps would also be apreciated.....thanks

Old 07-08-2007, 07:53 AM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
For what its worth.. maybe not much..

My experience with lowering resulted in rubbing in the back.. it was too much for my liking.. I was rubbing on the outside edge of the tire to the inner lip of the wheel well (in the 2 o-clock position).. That was with H&R springs that gave me about 1" drop.. M7 springs could drop a little more.

I am running Nitto NeoGen 215/45/17 on Enkie ZR2 rims with 40 offset.. So your experience might be different ..

Looks like the Wasps are 45 offset.. I think stock is 50 offset.. So you are moving the rim out only 5mm compared to stock (vs my move of 10 mm).. One way to get a better fit is to trim the wheel plastic.. Many do that.. I did not want to because where I needed to trim was one of the actual metal nut fastners holding the fender liner in place (the other fasteners were the plastic expanding type).

Plus with lowering.. you will want lower rear control arms help to get the rear camber back to something reasonable.. with out them you could be running more than -2 deg camber.. and that on a daily driver would wear out the inside edge of your tires pretty quickly (compared to the outside edge)..

But I loved the lowered look of the MINI... I just did not have the right combination springs / wheels / tires.. yet

Enjoy.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
What about a 215x40x17 on a 17x7 with a 38mm offset? I really want to run the 18's tho....any other comments on the 18's idea mentioned in the first post?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
What about a 215x40x17 on a 17x7 with a 38mm offset? I really want to run the 18's tho....any other comments on the 18's idea mentioned in the first post?
38 offset is going the wrong way.. Tire would push out from the center of the Mini more -> more potential for rubbing or more trimming needed..

I think the 18 Wasps might fit... I know of a few in my area that are on 18 & H-sport springs .. Just not sure of how much (if any) trimming had to be done to make them fit..

My search kicked out the following that might help..
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=wasp+lower

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=wasp+lower

Looks like Minihune has some experience with Flik Wasp and the potential issues.. Maybe send him a pm for info??

other might be in the thread with 18 & lowered..
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=show+wheels

oh yeah .. and plan on getting an alignment soon after the lowering..

Hope that helps.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 AM
mini_tuners
1st Gear
i have +42mm 17's wheels.. and the 18s with 35tires will be like 1/5 of an inch taller than the 17s. and my 42's aren't rubbing on h&r. i guess another 1/4 of an inch (for the 40s?) taller will slightly rub from personal opinion and experience from my car and my frd's ride. but pretty sure even if u rub, very very slight dremeling will do the job.

don't worry if you need major surgery to cure the rubbing ~\
but why not run 215/35 when u can?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Ok I tried to search....i plan on lowering my car with the m7 spring pretty soon....Im also ordering a set of 18inch flik wasps....I want to run a 215x40x18 will that fit and tuck with no rubbing? Would i be better off with a 215x35x18? Any pictures of the wasps would also be apreciated.....thanks

18x7.5" Gloss Black with polished lip 4x100 bolt pattern
+45mm offset 22 lbs $99 each

215/40-18 is taller than stock at 24.8" and will likely rub with lowering springs like m7. Plastic rear wheel arch trimming is sometimes needed and easy to do. Remove the rear inner wheel arch plastic and use a dremmel tool to trim away the rubbing areas then put them back in. Fronts should be OK.

215/35-18 is a better size and is slightly smaller than stock at 23.9" tall.
Both are OK and about the same for section and tread width. Weight is lighter with this size by about 2-3 lbs each tire.
To get more comfort pick your tire carefully, some tires have better handling but noisy or harsher ride if you care.

Here's anthracite 18x7.5" Wasps-