Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Carbotech Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech Pads

The folks at Carbotech were at an HPDE that I attended. I chatted with them a bit and of course they think their pads are the cats meow. Has anyone tried them out?

I'm currently using a TCE BBK with DynaPro calipers and 12.2 x 0.81 directional vaned slotted rotors. Using the BP-10 on the street. Ran a few track sessions with them as well and well, that was a bad idea. Swapped them for BP-20's and thats not much better. I trailbrake and at Road Atlanta used 1/2 a set on the left front in 1 session. Swapped them side to side and stopped trail braking and got 2 more session at of them before they were gone. I spoke to Todd @ TCE and he's sending me a set of the B's to try on the track. I also spoke to TSW's Dr Mike and he also recommended the B's or Raybestos Race Pads. Then I remembered the folks ar Carbotech and sent them an email. They recommend their XP10 front and XP8 rear. I'm curious if anyone has tried them and what their thoughts may be.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan at Grassroots Garage advertises them and is an advocate. Maybe he can provide some feedback.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HMS Motorsports also recommends Carbotech, but they like XP10 front / XP9 rear. I know of one MINI owner who swears by these pads. They are a bit pricey, though.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/b...mini-race-pads

HMS runs an MCS at pretty much every track event in the northeast, so they've got some experience in these things...

I'm not sure what pads they are actually running on their car, though. I'm sure they'd respond to an email / phone call.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scavenger
Dan at Grassroots Garage advertises them and is an advocate. Maybe he can provide some feedback.
+1 - Dan was trying to sell me on some Carbotechs the last time I was in the shop - But I have new Hawk Ceramics that are fine for my street driving...

Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Louie B.
3rd Gear
I currently have the Carbotech Panther Plus pads on my Honda CRX. Incredible initial bite and I haven't been able to get them to fade yet (I only auto-x and street drive though) but they squeel like a stuck pig when your off the brake pedal!!! I've been told by other carbotech users that it can be hit or miss as to weather you get a quiet set or not.

Also, after a full year of daily driving/autocrossing, they've hardly shown any wear at all!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gnatster: i too, killed a few sets of BP-20's very quickly. i have gone to the poly h pads, but i don't think that is available for your calipers. poly b's are probably the next best bet in the willwood line up. my poly h's lasted two track weekends and still had some life when i replaced them. check out carbotechs recommendation for new rotors for use w/ their pads. they don't believe that a standard bedding procedure works well enough. that was enough to disuade me, as i switch pads for track use, like you. ironically, the shop where my business is located was previously leased by carbotech, before they moved to NC. you wouldn't believe the levels of fine black dust in the place when i moved in.....

Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Putting them on tomorrow along with new rotors.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
I use the XP10s front and rears all the time for street and track, yes sometimes when they are cold they do squeal on the street never on track.

Lasy year with 30+ track days I used three sets of fronts and two rears, keep in mind that I run Brembo BBKs in the front, I also change front rotors once a year.

In conclusion the XP10s are great, the only other pads that compare were the Pagids that came with the BBK.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 AM
chigh
2nd Gear
xp10's

Excellent pads on stock rotors. No fade with higher temp fluid (use Motul).
I have run these on 2 mie tracks in ambient temps of high 90's with no problem. They need to be seriously bedded; I run three hard laps, then lety them cool for about an hour. They lasted for about 1,000 miles (9 events).

Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the xp-10 front, xp-8 combo on MINI's with BBk setup. I had installed a Wilwood race brake kit for a track car recently with Wilwoods bp-20's and Carbotech xp-8 at the rear. He liked them, 1 track weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park and another at Barber, the fronts wore out 2nd day at Barber. I replaced them with xp-10's and the car went to VIR. He noticed a huge difference in bite and could not get them to fade. He shared the car with his brother and put about 8 hours of track use in 2 days on them with no significant signs of wear. As far as price, they are comparable with any race pad from Hawk or Pagid.
For guys running them on the street (Bobcats) I have been able to reduce the tendancy for sqeal by replacing the rotors and filing a small chamfer on the leading edge of the pads. Reduces surface area, but helps noise.
--Dan