Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What is the ultimate tire size

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the ultimate tire size

Or performance limitations!

First and fore most I drive my 2002 MCS as a daily driver, some auto-x, and track if it happens to be available. I want to try some 225/45-17’s on the MINI without any spacers or major modifications. The car is on stock sport suspension (the 2002 Sport) and not lowered. I run a BBK on the front so I am limited to rim size, 17’s are the smallest I can go.
I’ve been using 215’s with no rubbing and would like to "expand" my range to 225’s if it will not be a problem.

I’ve read you need to grind the wheel area down to accommodate this size. Is this true and if so what area?

I have 17 X 7 wheels, will the 225’s fit right or will I be over maxing them with this width?

If I go with a wider tire for maximum performance should I go for a wider rim?

Are 225’s over the top for peak MINI performance?

I know at some point the width of the tire will overcome the performance factor of the car itself only creating more drag, but at what point is it, the widest size you may go before this happens? Has anyone in the true MINI performance world figured this out or come up with the right tire size in 17’s? Onasled, what do you run on track? Any of you true racing and performance track people, do you have an opinion.

I’m not looking for the ultimate conscientious, but just an agreement, somewhat! I know there is no definitive answer, but I’m wanting to go bigger and need to know where you true racers are drawing the line at functional and that’s absurd.

I have read these forums for years and for the life of me can’t really find an answer, or opinion that match, never a definitive answer to help me try to tune my car to peak performance on a limited budget, but want the most bang for our buck and I know tires are one of the most important part.

I’m not talking brand here…What is the ultimate tire size for ultimate performance for a MINI with 17 inch wheels. I’m not truly asking for an opinion, but more a, this worked best for me when I won this or that on this size, or I did great at the local auto-x on this size.

Does anyone know or have ay proven facts?

Last edited by sndwave; 07-12-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sndwave
Or performance limitations!

First and fore most I drive my 2002 MCS as a daily driver, some auto-x, and track if it happens to be available. I want to try some 225/45-17’s on the MINI without any spacers or major modifications. The car is on stock sport suspension (the 2002 Sport) and not lowered. I run a BBK on the front so I am limited to rim size, 17’s are the smallest I can go.
I’ve been using 215’s with no rubbing and would like to "expand" my range to 225’s if it will not be a problem.

I’ve read you need to grind the wheel area down to accommodate this size. Is this true and if so what area?

I have 17 X 7 wheels, will the 225’s fit right or will I be over maxing them with this width?

If I go with a wider tire for maximum performance should I go for a wider rim?

Are 225’s over the top for peak MINI performance?

I know at some point the width of the tire will overcome the performance factor of the car itself only creating more drag, but at what point is it, the widest size you may go before this happens? Has anyone in the true MINI performance world figured this out or come up with the right tire size in 17’s? Onasled, what do you run on track? Any of you true racing and performance track people, do you have an opinion.

I’m not looking for the ultimate conscientious, but just an agreement, somewhat! I know there is no definitive answer, but I’m wanting to go bigger and need to know where you true racers are drawing the line at functional and that’s absurd.

I have read these forums for years and for the life of me can’t really find an answer, or opinion that match, never a definitive answer to help me try to tune my car to peak performance on a limited budget, but want the most bang for our buck and I know tires are one of the most important part.

I’m not talking brand here…What is the ultimate tire size for ultimate performance for a MINI with 17 inch wheels. I’m not truly asking for an opinion, but more a, this worked best for me when I won this or that on this size, or I did great at the local auto-x on this size.

Does anyone know or have ay proven facts?
As usual there are many options.

Keeping your wheels (17x7) because you know your BBK will fit is the simpliest beginning. Add tires and you are ready to go.

Without fussing over fitment and rubbing the best solution no brainer is go with-
215/45-17 Easy solution
215/40-17 Good option, smaller than stock tire diameter good for lowered gearing
205/45-17 Stock sized tires
205/40-17 watch the load ratings but some are OK and it's possible.

or
225/40-17 Hoosiers for track use only
225/45-17 but it will be slightly tall at 25". Trimming might be needed but it's really not too bad to just remove the inner rear plastic wheel arch liners and carve away a little of the plastic that rubs- just run the tires a little to see where it's hitting.

Tire size is only one part of the equation- if you limit yourself to the 17x7 rims then you have one set of solutions. If you consider other rims then you have different options.

Tire performance has more to do with the whole picture of which tire, along with which rim, tire size, your suspension, alignment and your driving style.

Another option is to go with wider rims (watch your offsets) like 17x8 or 18x8 and then wider tires like 235/40-17 but then fitment gets closer still but it is workable.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
minihune
First a comment about tire options as it relates to using any MINI with stock suspension parts and alignment.

When you have any MINI with stock parts and alignment your biggest problem with using any tires selected is you don't have enough front negative camber to do a decent job of wearing or using your front tires on the track.

It's plain and simple that if you want the best performance and you are looking at expensive $230 each Hoosier A6 or R6 tires in 225/40-17 then you've got to have the right alignment or you will burn through any tires used in short order.

So when I hear about stock suspension and stock alignment already that tells me that ultimate tire size is not going to be as crucial as working with the limitations of the stock parts.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
225 is best on a 7.5" not to mention the 215/45 is a closer match to stock OD

Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 AM
minihune
So now the question is what to do.

Will these tires be for track only? Dedicated track wheels? Then competition R compound tires, smaller tire diameters, and store and haul them to events.

Or will you use them for street use and some track use? Then you can use Extreme and Max Performance tires.

If you use any tires realize that tire wear is dependent on your suspension and alignment, your driving style, the track surface, etc. If you want to make the tires last you have to optimize as many of these factors as possible. And you have to drive smoothly to stress your tires as little as possible. If you are rough on them you will wear them down fast.

Even with stock suspension you can get more camber front or rear- this will not really increase ride harshness as long as you pick alignment settings that are friendly for street use- naturally this can be a compromise for track driving.

You can add fixed or adjustable front camber plates and in the rear lower adjustable control arms (some are stiffer and noisier than others). If you go on the track only a few times a year then it isn't worth all the hassle to make these upgrades. If you do track your car often then it makes more sense to upgrade to coilovers that are street friendly but tunable for performance driving. You'll get a smoother ride than if using lowering springs only.

Probably there is no great advantage seeking tires that exceed 225mm width. For 17x7" rims the 225 is about the limit. As you reach 235 and 245mm wide tires you need rims that are more 8" or wider and then clearance and fitment can become issues creating more modifications, trimming, spacers, etc. Also as tires get wider they get heavier. Sometimes I do see at autocross MINIs that have 205 width tires doing really well- they just use more of their tires than if running 225 tires and they have weight savings.

I would suggest staying with 215/45-17 or 215/40-17 and picking tires wisely to get the right tire for your needs. Don't make the rear swaybar too firm/stiff if you have one that is adjustable. Try the soft setting first and get used to it. Vary tire pressures to fine tune your handling as needed for the event.