Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Slime "Spare Kit" w/ Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
Saw this kit the other day, and will probably get it. I have AAA if that don't work.
jason

Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
I still think this approach is worth considering, and no slime needed.
Not sure I follow you. How does a pump eliminate the need for Slime?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I was in Wal-mart today buying micro fiber towels. I saw the pump/slime kit for less than $20 there.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Not sure I follow you. How does a pump eliminate the need for Slime?
When you plug the hole with a plug kit, you don't need or want slime. I don't want all that goo running around inside my tire and wheel, whether it is water soluable or not.

Just pull out the nail or screw, insert the plug, fill with air, and drive on. Very easy, sometime you don't need to remove the tire, sometimes you do.

BTW, the compressor I found is very quiet, doesn't vibrate all over the floor, has good capacity and the hose screws on to the valve so it will not pop off. It all fits nicely in the boot cubby.

Hope this helps

YD

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you plug the hole with a plug kit, you don't need or want slime. I don't want all that goo running around inside my tire and wheel, whether it is water soluable or not.

Just pull out the nail or screw, insert the plug, fill with air, and drive on. Very easy, sometime you don't need to remove the tire, sometimes you do.

BTW, the compressor I found is very quiet, doesn't vibrate all over the floor, has good capacity and the hose screws on to the valve so it will not pop off. It all fits nicely in the boot cubby.

Hope this helps

YD
So what happens to the tip of the plug? I'm not sure I'd want that running around inside my tire.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 AM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
This explains how to use a plug kit:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/tirepluguzi.htm

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have used the plug kit featured in that link, and it worked fine. Just be sure that you always have a set of good pliers in your car; the standard MINI tool kit doesn't include a set, as I recall.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You push the rubber plug (long thin rubber stringie, fibrous, gooey, plug on some types, ... a more rubbery tube filiment on other types) into the hole with a tool. You pull the tool out leaving some of the plug inside the tire (maybe an inch or less) and some of it outside the tire. You cut off the part that is outside the tire and add air.... that's all there is to it.

Hope this helps

YD

Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you plug the hole with a plug kit, you don't need or want slime.
I didn't notice the plug kit in your post. Thought you were just carrying a pump. I've ordered the Dynaplug, but I think I'll carry Slime as a backup as well. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Need
4th Gear
Just bought the Slime kit with pump from Walmart for $19.xx. My son's stroller got a flat and I repaired it with a patch and pumped it back up to 35 psi with the Slime pump. Works great! It goes from 0 to 35 psi in less than 10 seconds, but it is a small tire. Once my Mini gets here, the kit will go into the boot.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
kristina
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if there is a real difference between the Slime kit discussed in the this thread and the one that Mini Mania is selling for $59.95?
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NM.../InvDetail.cfm

Old 07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I don't know, but I once had a compressor that looks exactly like the one in that link and it sucked. Well, it didn't literally suck, but it sucked more than it blew. More air came out of the seams than the hose when it was under pressure (as in blowing up a tire).

Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
....but it sucked more than it blew.
Is it worse when something sucks or when it blows?

dean.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Depends on what the something was being used for!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Need
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kristina
Does anyone know if there is a real difference between the Slime kit discussed in the this thread and the one that Mini Mania is selling for $59.95?
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NM.../InvDetail.cfm
The bottle looks the same, and the compressor looks very similar. I just used the compressor from Walmart on a real tire last week. It took a while to get from 32 to 36 psi, but it got there. I am guessing if I start from 0, it will take at least 3 or more minutes to fill it up.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
When you plug the hole with a plug kit, you don't need or want slime. I don't want all that goo running around inside my tire and wheel, whether it is water soluable or not...
Water soluble? So you don't want to get a flat in the rain?

I'm all for issue specific solutions. Why coat the entire inside of your tire in some gunk when you just want to plug a small hole? Plugs good.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
AMAZING!!!! I was just at Walmart for my first time, for lunch (third time I'm posting that fact!) today. I saw this slime kit (small compressore and slime bottle) for $19.99, and remembered seeing a lin karound here for the same or similar kit for $100 or something. So of course I say "WOW, I'm buing this now!!". I get back to office, open the boot, and say, hmmmmm, wonder if it will fit in the little side compartment of the boot, so I open it, stick the kit in, and put the cover on. All excited about my all new, one of a kind expedition type findings with this kit and how it fits nicely in the boot side compartment, I jump right on here to tell you all. To be smart AGAIN, I decide to first search for "SLIME KIT" to make sure nobody has seen the stuff.

WALLAH!!! The first thread that comes up not only has a picture of the same kit I just bought, but the same explanation and pics, of where to store it!!

So then I continue reading and find the amazing plug kit to, ah, "boot" (pun intended).

Just amazing. I can't take all this MINI excitment.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I used the compressor the other day on my tires and on my wifes truck to top them off now that the weather is cooler. Worked fine... I'm also keeping a plug kit in the other side of the boot for times when the Slime won't be necessary.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I had that Slime Kit. The compressor is nice and compact but it doesn't have a on/off switch . So I just gave it to my dad and got one from Sears. Fits inside the side panel perfectly and it has a on/off switch

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Need
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
I had that Slime Kit. The compressor is nice and compact but it doesn't have a on/off switch . So I just gave it to my dad and got one from Sears. Fits inside the side panel perfectly and it has a on/off switch
The compressor from my Slime Kit has an On/Off switch.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Cheap and shameless Plug...

I did a group buy for Metroplex Minis for Dynaplugs, have a bunch left over..

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=115916

Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Update: Had a complete flat on my 15" all season tire when I came out from dinner. Was dark, snowing, and 20 degrees, so no chance to use the plugs. Popped out the valve core, squeezed 1/2 bottle of Slime in it, used the compressor to inflate to 25 lbs, drove around the parking lot to distribute and give it a chance to find the leak, then filled up to 35 psi for the drive home. It was a little out of balance for the first 5 minutes or so (slight steering wheel wobble above 50 mph), but after that it worked it's way evenly around the tire and was fine at 65 mph for the rest of my 45 minute drive home. I'll hopefully find the source of the leak in the morning and have it patched (or plug it myself) once it's light enough to see and the car warms up in the garage overnight. I'll also check to see if it loses any pressure after sitting overnight, or if the Slime held up (it should).

Anyway, I now have a good field test and will have zero worries about anything other than a blowout when it comes to being able to get home after a flat.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Thanks for sharing Dan -- I've been going back/forth on whether or not to ditch the runflats on my cabrio as I dont ever wanna leave it on the side of the rd b/c of a flat tire. After hearing yours and everyone elses story I think I'm going to pull the trigger and dump the runflats.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I carry the slime kit but it can be a false sense of security. A month ago a pot hole came out of no where on a dark street and destroyed my right back tire. The pucture came from squeezing the tire between the edge of the concrete lip and the wheel. Fix a flat or plugs nothing would fix a gash that large. A 2 mile hike home to get a spare tire was required. Next time I will just let my auto hazard insurance toe the car home.

Quick Reply: Slime "Spare Kit" w/ Compressor