Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Slime "Spare Kit" w/ Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I carry the slime kit but it can be a false sense of security. A month ago a pot hole came out of no where on a dark street and destroyed my right back tire. The pucture came from squeezing the tire between the edge of the concrete lip and the wheel. Fix a flat or plugs nothing would fix a gash that large. A 2 mile hike home to get a spare tire was required. Next time I will just let my auto hazard insurance toe the car home.
Yeah, anything that would blowout the tire or rip the sidewall is gonna cause problems and leave you stranded, even if you have runflats (although the RF might be less prone to that extensive damage).

BTW, I'm still running with the slime in my tire for the past month with no problems. At this point, I'm gonna wait until I change over to my non-winter tires to do a permanent repair.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Just ordered the Dynaplug kit! Thanks for the tip guys! I had already bought the Slime Kit a couple months back when I got my snow's. Being an old tire guy I would hate to have to put slime in the tire if I didn't have to. It can be a real mess for the guy doing the dismount. The Dynaplug might help me avoid that. Hopefully none of us ever needs either.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For everyone who has purchased some sort of air compressor and now feel secure with it safely tucked in the boot, ... have you ever, just for kicks, ever tested it or let the air out of one tire and then re-inflated it to make sure it works, figure out how long it takes, see how the pump dances all over the ground, see how much noise it makes? Is the power cord long enough to get to the plug inside the front or boot? Now is the time to find out.

I still stand my the pump in post No. 24 of this thread. It actually moves some air, and does so while sitting on the ground, not squirming all over and screaming like a banshie. It doesn't cost as much as the compressors being touted either. Just a suggestion.

Next question. How many people have actually jambed the "roughing" tool into the tread of a run-flat? Then actually inserted a plug? It is rather hard to push in. I suggest you practice on an old tire, preferably an old run-flat down at the tire shop sometime before you try to do it on the side of the road under "always unfavorable conditions".

I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, I just suggest that you know what you have and how it works before you need it.

YD

Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 AM
966JDS
Neutral
I didn't start this thread, but I too need to replace my OEM run-flats. I remember when this technology was first introduced, I thought it was so-cool. But over & over I heard and been told that I'd enjoy the MINI so much more w/o the run-flats. The Goodyear Eagle F1's seem to have the highest praise for an all-season tire, so I think I'll get those. And then use the recommendations here for emergency tire repair. And if all else fails there's always the roadside assistance service!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:47 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 966JDS
I didn't start this thread, but I too need to replace my OEM run-flats. I remember when this technology was first introduced, I thought it was so-cool. But over & over I heard and been told that I'd enjoy the MINI so much more w/o the run-flats. The Goodyear Eagle F1's seem to have the highest praise for an all-season tire, so I think I'll get those. And then use the recommendations here for emergency tire repair. And if all else fails there's always the roadside assistance service!
I think the largest amount of joy from going to non-runflats is not paying $250 - $300 dollars a tire for just an okay performance tire.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
'run-flat' tires should be called 'run-flat-replace' tires. Since once you run on them flat you will have to replace that $250-300 tire.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
966JDS
Neutral
Yeah, I was just in for my Inspection 1 Svc and they wanted to replace the two fronts for $800+ (!) I politely said no thanks. What are they smoking???

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
imortalsin84
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mgibrace
Wheel guys hate the stuff when they have to dismount.
i use to work in a wheel shop (5years) omg seeing this stuff pissed me off soooo much cause it gets hot and smells like crap and we have to clean it off the rim which looks like vomit....can you imagine waking up early in the morning and going to work and the first thing you see is some super strong smelly vomit stuff in a wheel and when you put that stuff in the tire it makes it really hard for us to find the flat unless its a big hole....(but the stuff works)

plugging your tires is probably the worst thing you can do to your tire what it does is spreads out the wires in the inside of the tire which causes the tire to expand on high speeds which causes bubbles in the tires which can also cause the tire to blow out...it also lowers the speed rating(NEVER PLUG YOUR TIRE)...use the fix a flat or call AAA for a tow truck

if you plug your tire some major companies like just tires or good year might not even fix your tire they will make you get a new tire or send you on your way to your next shop(even if the plug is not where the leak is cause they cant guarantee there work)

Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by imortalsin84
plugging your tires is probably the worst thing you can do to your tire what it does is spreads out the wires in the inside of the tire which causes the tire to expand on high speeds which causes bubbles in the tires which can also cause the tire to blow out...it also lowers the speed rating(NEVER PLUG YOUR TIRE)...use the fix a flat or call AAA for a tow truck
Can anyone shed more light on this?