Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

2 Run Flats and 2 Regular Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
peekinde
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Run Flats and 2 Regular Tires

Hello,

My front driver runflat is busted and needs to be replaced. Too bad my camera is out, the sidewall has giant lumps on it and I am afraid to drive it. I am considering purchasing two 215 45 17 for the front and letting the two runflats in the rear die slowly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on whether this is a good idea or not?

My spec:
MCS 4x 205 45 17
Factory Sports Suspension
28k miles on the tires

Last edited by peekinde; 07-18-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by peekinde
Hello,

My front driver runflat is busted and needs to be replaced. Too bad my camera is out, the sidewall has giant lumps on it and I am afraid to drive it. I am considering purchasing two 215 45 17 for the front and letting the two runflats in the rear die slowly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on whether this is a good idea or not?

My spec:
MCS 4x 205 45 17
Factory Sports Suspension
28k miles on the tires
Think about the future and what you might eventually want to put on your MINI.

Choose from stock 205/45-17 or 215/45-17. Pick runflat or non runflat.

You can mix non runflats with runflats and you can mix different sized tires on each axle. Just be careful driving as the tires can handle differently.

If you had to keep the runflats then the best choice is-
Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP $133 each (backordered!) 340 treadwear V speed rated.

If you want to switch to non runflats then pick the size, both mentioned above can work.

When you put on the new tires, use them in the rears. This is because the better tread tires will resist hydroplaning best when used in the rears. Otherwise your good front tires will resist hydroplaning then your worn rear tires will loose traction, hydroplane and you risk loosing control in the wet.
In the dry it is not so bad and you can use any tires in the front. The fronts will wear out tires faster unless you rotate.

Don't hit any potholes or road hazzards as that can be a big factor in tire damage and wear.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
Just be very respectful of the fact you have different tires front and back, and don't push it.....it might contribute getting you in a spot you don't want to be.... trouble...

Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call me old fashion (or just call me old), but I don't mess with tires - any way, shape or form. When you get right down to it, your car, you and your passengers all ride on four little squares of rubber that are all that make contact with terra firma.

I'd be willing to bet that the lads at MiniUSA wouldn't agree with using 2 run flats and 2 non-run flats - but I've been wrong before. You might call the Tire Rack and see what they say about it.

Why mess with your longevity.. Put good rubber at all four corners.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogtied
Call me old fashion (or just call me old), but I don't mess with tires - any way, shape or form. When you get right down to it, your car, you and your passengers all ride on four little squares of rubber that are all that make contact with terra firma.

I'd be willing to bet that the lads at MiniUSA wouldn't agree with using 2 run flats and 2 non-run flats - but I've been wrong before. You might call the Tire Rack and see what they say about it.

Why mess with your longevity.. Put good rubber at all four corners.
Best case?
Use four tires of like tread depth on four same wheels for your MINI for best results.

Try not to mix sizes and runflat to non runflat but it is possible for street use. Drive carefully.

I have discussed using non runflats and runflats paired by axle on a MINI with Alex@tirerack.com and it is possible. Naturally it's better to buy four new tires when you can.

I have seen and heard from other MINI owners that have mixed non runflat tires with runflats by axle and did fine, many in a similar situation as described.

I have used tires of different sizes on my own cars with no ill effects in handling or ride quality, just be careful. Use your judgement and act accordingly.

MINI wants you to use stock sized tires of runflat design on stock sized rims with stock suspension. Other sizes and parts are your responsibility.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Sorry to be a bit igornant here but here's a bit of fact..The mini isn't AWD...You don't need to replace all 4 tires at once.

If you must have the same depth. Order from tire rack and they can shave the tires for you.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
peekinde
1st Gear
Thanks for the input,

I purchased 4 new tires from tirerack.com

Mainly because I don't want to visit the tire shop twice for tire installation =p