Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Everyone uses runflat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
mcs1984
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone uses runflat tire?

is it danger if i dont use run-flat tires?(because mini doesnt provide spare tire)
because in the future i would like to get a set of yokohama advan for my mini ..
what do u guy think ?
is it good or not .....
and wht size should i get on the tire ...if i got a 17 x 7 wheels

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I don't see it as a danger. I have an air compressor, a plug kit, and slime. In a lifetime of driving I haven't been stranded on the road very often. I have non-runflats and don't fret a bit.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Frankly, I would rather not have run-flats on my car. Just recently I had to purchase over $500.00 worth of tires all because of one screw that found its way into a tire, mind you the tires being replaced also had over 1/2 of the tread left . To me, until runflats are repairable just as regular tires are, they are completely useless.

For anybody considering switching from runflats to a regular tire, I am a huge advocate, just make sure you have means of repairing your tires, or have somebody on hand to come a pick you up when you do wind up with a flat!

-Chase

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaseabryant

For anybody considering switching from runflats to a regular tire, I am a huge advocate, just make sure you have means of repairing your tires, or have somebody on hand to come a pick you up when you do wind up with a flat!

-Chase
I don't have to worry about having someone pick me up because I have run flats. They're more expensive, but I think it's good for peace of mind. Ride-wise, I find them every bit as quiet as my non-runflats (I run a different set in the winter), and all the time I have the standard rubber on the car I worry that I don't have a spare.

But hey - if you're OK with finding a ride or a tow at 2:00AM or fiddling with a compressor and slime in the middle of a downpour (because blown tires ALWAYS go at the worst possible time) then go for a set of non-runflats.

Last edited by ImagoX; 08-08-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Jurrell
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm buying a set of wheels and non runflats for the price of 3 runflats tires alone. I love the idea of runflats, but the cost is killing me.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
minijon
2nd Gear
One plus for the basic MC, I've got a spare tire. Just have to remember to remove it for track days.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Mark C.
3rd Gear
I just switched to non-runflats and MY GOD. It's like I bought a new car. The handling is better, steering more accurate, and ride is about a million times better. I can't believe I waited this long. I ordered the OEM MINI mobility kit (compressor and slime) from Outmotoring in case I need it...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Runflats: Expensive, harsh riding, wear out quickly.

I think almost all of us have opted for "normal" higher performance tires, and a Slime/Air Compressor kit in the boot.

Last edited by Gromit801; 08-09-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait for my run-flats to wear so I can get non-RFs.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

To me, until runflats are repairable just as regular tires are, they are completely useless.
As long as you don't compromise the integrity of the sidewall getting to the tire shop, the same repair criteria applies to runflats as conventional tires:

FAQ: Can punctures to run flat tires be repaired?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
No more runflats for me. Once the originals wore out I bought new wheels & tires. Keep an air compressor, can-o-goo, and plugs in the car. On longer trips I bring one of my old wheels as a spare.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
mcs1984
2nd Gear
thanks guys...i think i wil get the set of sportmax wheels,...then i wil get the set of tires while i use up the RF tires...but stil decide what size of wheels should i get ....17" or 16" ....17" gives more appearence ...^.^

Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
...To me, until runflats are repairable just as regular tires are, they are completely useless.
FWIW, runflats are just as repairable as conventional tires. Some places won't repair them because they don't know how long they've been run flat, and their integrity is compromised (to varying degrees) if they're run without air for a significant (YMMV) length of time.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
As long as you don't compromise the integrity of the sidewall getting to the tire shop, the same repair criteria applies to runflats as conventional tires:

FAQ: Can punctures to run flat tires be repaired?
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
FWIW, runflats are just as repairable as conventional tires. Some places won't repair them because they don't know how long they've been run flat, and their integrity is compromised (to varying degrees) if they're run without air for a significant (YMMV) length of time.

My problem is that in my area, there is no one that will touch the tires. as soon as they see the MINI, or they hear that I have runflats, they turn me away heh. I even went to the dealership to see if they knew of anybody who would repair them; but to no avail, they told me to go and purchase new tires. Even the MINI service guy that I spoke to suggested just purchasing a set of regular tires.

-Chase

Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
I drove about five miles on a deflated runflat one night. It was a bad night, I was leaving work to go to my girlfriend's fathers wake, picked up a nail leaving the parking lot at work. Drove to a Pep Boys, they don't stock the runflats for the MINI, would need to order one, $250! The guy at the counter suggested I buy a plug kit, so I did just that. Fixed it the parking lot at Pep Boys, then drove a block to a gas station & filled it with air. Used the tire for about a year like that with no problems.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
I run non-run-flats. Kumho Ecsta AST's. Love em. Carry a can of SLIME and have AAA. No worries.
jason

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ Yep, extra AAA batteries are a must for any MINI owner.

But more seriously, I'm very excited that I only have about a month or 2 left on my runflats (I've never before looked forward to having to replace my tires).

Last edited by eager2own; 08-09-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

My problem is that in my area, there is no one that will touch the tires. as soon as they see the MINI, or they hear that I have runflats, they turn me away heh.
Did you check via Tire Rack?

Find a Recommended Installer

Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
no, however all of the tire shops that I did visit are listed on the list that Tire Rack gives....

Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM
SoCalSam
2nd Gear
I run the runflats because I like knowing I will never have a blow out. I did end-up having to replace a tire as I got a piece of shrapnel in it; that was not fun at all.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Non run-flats, slime kit, plug kit here...

Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
I carry slime, cell phone, and an Auto Club membership

Old 08-11-2007, 07:02 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
I agree with both sides on this one. Love the peace of mind the run flat gives, exceptionally on long trips. Hate the cost and very limited size choice that comes with owning runflats.
With all that said I will be picking up a set of non run flats, mainly due to price. I have a MC so i do have a spare just in case.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 PM
NJMiniS
Neutral
I changed over to non-runflats (Toyo Proxes 4) early this spring. My mini rides like a proper car now, not all over the road, rut-steering with the run flats. Ride much improved and much less tire noise. I keep a can of goop in the boot 'just in case' but I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I've had flats in 35 years of driving.
Shops have an issue with liability when working with run-flats. They have no idea how far you've run on them flat. Many shops won't even go near them. I've spoken to shops that have turned away people (not Mini owners of course) who have run hundreds of miles on their run flats with no air and expect the shop to patch it up and be like new.
IMHO, run flats are questionable technology at best, ride rough, don't wear well and are a b*tch to get off the rims. I'll gladly take my chances with the conventional tires.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 AM
artsmini
2nd Gear
I'll probably ditch the runflats also and carry a compessor and slime, along with a plug kit. Getting real tired of the harsh ride.

Quick Reply: Everyone uses runflat tire?