Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Anyone use the Pirelli Euforia tires in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:49 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use the Pirelli Euforia tires in winter?

They are listed as a "summer only" tire and "not intended for snow" on TireRack, but curious if anyone has used them in the winter anyway, and what your experience was.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=eufori%40

I'm currently trying to trade/sell them, but if I'm stuck with them for the winter, I'd like to know what to expect. I'm looking for feedback from those that have actually used them in the winter. We all know that summer compounds typically don't do as well, and tread patterns/siping affect snow grip; but I'm sure there are people out there who have used these OEM tires in the snow and cold despite that.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you're in IL. you will want to use all seasons at minimum and snow tires ideally. ie: buy my 16's for cheap and run snow tires on them. it will
be like 10X better than you running your euforia's, guaranteed.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Pirelli's on my car for the first winter.......and immediately got a set of steelies w/winter tires the next spring. Weren't a safe set of tires at all in the snow/ice.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I made the mistake of removing my 15" wheels/studded tires (see gallery) about 2 weeks earlier than usual. We had a freakishly late snow storm the NEXT DAY. Driving around with the stock 17" Euphori's was just downright dangerous (and being in Alaska, I'm no newbie to winter driving)! Very little directional control, traction control kicking in at the slightest application of throttle, and terrible braking! I put the winter tires on two days later (it was obvious that we'd continue to have snow - the State even extended the use of studded tires by a few weeks).

Funny thing? I had a Jeep (w/ studded winter tires) sitting in the driveway, and I elected to swap the tires on the MINI again for the freak snowstorm. Yup, I love driving the little car that much!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:37 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
dan- you're not going to make it in those euforia's. lol

let's setup a time to meet so you can buy my 16's.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
They are listed as a "summer only" tire and "not intended for snow" on TireRack, but curious if anyone has used them in the winter anyway, and what your experience was.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=eufori%40

I'm currently trying to trade/sell them, but if I'm stuck with them for the winter, I'd like to know what to expect. I'm looking for feedback from those that have actually used them in the winter. We all know that summer compounds typically don't do as well, and tread patterns/siping affect snow grip; but I'm sure there are people out there who have used these OEM tires in the snow and cold despite that.
Whether runflats or non runflats ALL summer tires are unsafe to use in snow. If you get into any accident and you have summer tires on in the snow it will look very very bad.

Same can be said of nearly all slick or near slick R compound tires for the track when used on the street in the wet to get home. It's unsafe.

I have driven all season tires in the snow for 5 winters in Chicago and that was no fun. You have to go really slowly and look far far ahead for any problems headed your way.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
dan- what time and day works for you?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback... That's sort of what I was expecting.

Kenchan: The wife wants me to work out a trade for the wheels/tires so I'm not spending anything. Maybe we should just have our wives get together and work out a deal so both of us are in the clear!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
oh... but my wife does not know that i have extra wheels...

Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
oh... but my wife does not know that i have extra wheels...
How do you hide 5 sets/20 wheels in your basement and NOT have your wife know about them? Do you have them stacked up and she thinks they are structural supports for the house?
"Honey, these are the new rubber isolator foundation supports that are earthquake proof, and yes that IS important even though we live in Illinois..."

Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Tell her they are single season tires.

One set of each season and one back up set in case of trouble, that one is All Season and can fill in but it isn't as good or safe to use as the first choice set. That's convincing, don't you think?

Don't laugh when you say it,
It might be suspicious

My wife sees 6 sets of wheels and many many many tires stacked from floor to garage ceiling. I'm on the tirerack.com site referencing possible tires while she watches me. Now what do you think? I'm going to hide the wheels and tires and mask them with flower pots or pillow cases?

Anyway she didn't like them blocking the walkways and doors into the garage so we got storage. Most of the spares went there.

I know one person that uses the stored track wheels as corner posts for a living room coffee table.

Stay them two or three high and you have a dining table or pool table.

You just break it all down when you need to use the wheels on the street.
Don't run over any really bad smelling road debris, it's got to be nice enough to put in your living room for daily use.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
How do you hide 5 sets/20 wheels in your basement and NOT have your wife know about them? Do you have them stacked up and she thinks they are structural supports for the house?
"Honey, these are the new rubber isolator foundation supports that are earthquake proof, and yes that IS important even though we live in Illinois..."
no, i have it scattered under things. jk