Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Q: How should I rotate and which should I swap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
scatpack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q: How should I rotate and which should I swap.

My runflats on my 27k mile Cooper S are wearing down. The fronts are MUCH more worn than the rear tires.

I happen to have 2 fresh tires already mounted on rims. (6 total). Should I swap the rears to the front and mount the new tires on the back

OR

mount the new tires on the front, and leave the rears where they are (Or should I also rotate?)

AND

How should I rotate these if any?

Once i wear this set down, I plan on ditching runflats.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Controversial subject. Some say you always want the best tread on the rear so the car tends toward more-safe understeer, but on a FWD, the fronts make the most difference in handling, so you really don't want worn tires on the front.

To maximize tire life, I hear of two strategies on FWD'ers. 1) rotate and then replace all four each cycle; or 2) don't rotate and replace the fronts twice as often as the rears, since the fronts tends to wear about twice as fast. Since you haven't been rotating, I'd recommend you put the new ones on the front, continue your "don't rotate" strategy, and they'll probably wear out about when your original rears wear out.

- Mark

Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scatpack
That's where I'm unsure. I don't know whether to keep the Runflats or get rid of them when it's time. I actually LIKE having them .. but not sure if they're worth the money new! Then again, not having a spare means the runflats are in fact quite handy.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by scatpack
My runflats on my 27k mile Cooper S are wearing down. The fronts are MUCH more worn than the rear tires.

I happen to have 2 fresh tires already mounted on rims. (6 total). Should I swap the rears to the front and mount the new tires on the back

OR

mount the new tires on the front, and leave the rears where they are (Or should I also rotate?)

AND

How should I rotate these if any?

If the front worn tires have some tread left then you can leave them for now but watch them carefully each week for when the wear bars are showing.

At that time then rotate the two rear tires to the fronts and put the newest best tires on the rear. It's won't make that much difference for dry traction but in the wet the better tires should be on the back to resist hydroplaning for safety reasons. Then rotate tires every 3000-5000 miles.

If the worn tires are already at the wear bars then rotate the rears to the fronts and put on the new tires on the backs now.

If you search this topic has been discussed in the past.

Talk to or email Alex@tirerack.com for more info.