Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What to do road hazard or order

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What to do road hazard or order

I have a nail in an inside sidewall on my run-flats (oem). I did buy the tire and wheel insurance (stupid perhaps). The tires have 17,000 miles on them for reference sake. I would like to keep run-flats - don't trust not having a spare.

I see myself having two options (maybe three):
1) take it to the local place for them to verify that it is non-repairable and let them tell me how much they'll give me for the tire - the cost listed for replacement through dunlop's site is $425
2) just assume that the insurance is going to screw me and order from tire rack - price $274
2a) just assume the insurance is going to screw me and get something new and whiz bang (ordering two) from tire rack for still much less than retail.

when I just went to take the tire off I found that I have goodyear's (d'oh) so don't know if the retail will be the same issue - anybody know?

Last edited by cadfael_tex; 08-27-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: as I was - goodyears not dunlops
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 AM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the road hazard warranty, I'd fight to see how much you can use of it. Almost all sidewall punctures will be excluded of course, but you might be able to work out a reduced price since you went to the trouble of paying extra for protection.

I have a 06 MCS with less than 9k miles; I picked up a nice shiny screw directly in the tread. The Tire Hazard light came on, I stopped immediately and found the damage, then drove at 30mph on city streets less than 10mi to my local tire shop. They fixed the damage, but brought me out back to show me a "heat crease" on the inside of the sidewall, because I -did- drive on the runflat, they couldn't guarantee me the tire safety. WTH??

So instead of paying $260 for a replacement, I bought bfG gSports, have a ContiComfort air kit on order, and have a spare tire I can stick behind my driver seat... and new rims!

Good luck with your situation. But as far as I'm concerned, run-flats are a catch-22. You rely on them, and you can't rely on them.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have warranty, i would at least try if they can cover it.
you're not at a loss anyway trying.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
I agree with others, try the warranty first.

I didn't get the tire warranty and was truely rethinking that one. Hearing a few not so good stories from Mini owners concerning this warranty, maybe I'll just save my $$$.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, unless you are prone to flats, damage due to where you normally drive, they are not worth it.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
The price the local guy could give me was actually much more competitive than the website indicated so the dilhema maybe solved.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 AM
naffets
3rd Gear
I'm assuming that this is the Mini warranty you bought?

And it doesn't cover replacement costs (prorated) for road hazzard damage and sidewall punctures to the tires?

Why would anyone buy this then?

At least at Discount they tire warranty covers road hazzard damage etc at a prorated value based on mileage.

I'm still debating the whole run flat vs regular tire issue. I'm planning on getting another set of wheels any and will probably run some better performance tires in the summer then go back to the run flats in the winter until they are worn out.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
I have a nail in an inside sidewall on my run-flats (oem). I did buy the tire and wheel insurance (stupid perhaps).
If you bought the insurance, what is the issue???

Take it back to MINI, have them fix it. If its in the sidewall, they give you a new tire. If its in the thread, maybe an inch or more from the sidewall, they can patch it (or buy a new one from tirerack on your own)

I dont see what the issue is here if you bought the insurance. Let the insurance pay for it.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:14 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Haven't heard what the insurance is going to do but the price at the local store was competitive with Tire Rack so it took away the issue. Was only an issue if the local store was 3 times the cost like the web indicated. IE if the insurance prorated less than half on a 500 tyre versus 250 or so just ordering the thing.