Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best tires on the front or on the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umberto
I was thinking that a full size car, like a Taurus, since it has a bigger trunk overhanging extending out beyond the rear wheels would be moe apt to have the rear end swing out around a curve, thus more apt to oversteer, compared to car with no trunk overhanging the rear wheels like a MINI....but the MINI can still oversteer if the situation is right
but 60+% of that car's weight is still over the front tires so I'd venture a guess there's actually less over the rear axle all other things considered (wider tire and heavier car than a MINI).

Old 08-28-2007, 05:23 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
well, Michelin and Tire Rack say best tires on the rear, but I wonder if BMW and MINI have recommendations....and the article/video talk about wet weather.....what about snowy conditions?....although here in the snowy northeast, we have our fair share of snowy conditions during some winters, but the majority of winter driving is on dry or just wet pavement rather than in snow, .......and on ice, well, anything goes

Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
PGT
Banned
in snow, you wouldn't be driving like that....you'd be taking it very slow (or should be )

Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
umberto
6th Gear
oooh....good point

Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddly enough I would rather retain steering that worry about rear-end rotation.

If I lose the ability to control the front end of the car (ie chronic understeer) the fact that the rear is not stepping out is of no significance.

Unless the tires are worn to (or below) the legal limit, under normal driving conditions I would guess that it makes no odds.

In heavy rain I can easily deal with a little tail-end lightness.

If you look at how a Mini wears its tires, the fronts do a lot more work than the rears, I'd rather put new ones on the front while I have at least 1/3rd tread on the rear.

I have done this already through several sets and never had an issue.

Both of our rear-drive cars have staggered sizes (we have 15F/16R's and 17F/18Rs and a whole variety of tire sizes from 185 to 245 widths) and directional tires, so any kind of rotation is impossible, we replace tires in pairs - whichever set is worn the most.

The MR2 is on its third set of rears and the original fronts, my wife's 325i is on its second set of fronts and original fronts.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times before.

Search for more/similar threads.

Always best tread tires on the rear. This reduces the chance to hydroplane in the rear and improves safety.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Always best tread tires on the rear. This reduces the chance to hydroplane in the rear and improves safety.
But, what about braking in wet conditions ?

The ability to disperse the water and put rubber on the road is significantly impaired with worn rubber, as is the ability to swerve in the same wet conditions.

New rubber on the rear only reduces any oversteer tendancies, which the DSC defeats rather neatly.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one primary reason why i would not want to put old tires on the front
is because each time you brake you get ROAAAAR!!!

too much annoying road noise. :impatient

Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM
PGT
Banned
what about brake dive? your balded tire in the rear will have no traction at all. better hope you never have to brake on a curve and no electronic nanny is > physics. I'm sure someone, somewhere sometime will overcome the limits of DSC and lose it.

then there are those of us who didn't buy DSC.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think we are talking about used tires that are good, not bald tires on the rear.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
PGT
Banned
forgive my hyperbole

Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
the thinking of not rotating is that the rears always will have good tread on them, rather than having all 4 tires wear down almost to the tread bars...and then you only have to hit your wallet for 2
But why would you want only one end of the car to have "good tread"?

And the wallet thing is just perception, you'd still be buying tires at the same rate, unless you kept the rears on indefinitely, in which case they'd get pretty slippery after awhile regardless.

Last edited by RedSkunk; 08-28-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM
umberto
6th Gear
if you are rotating regularly so all 4 tires are wearing down evenly, then when you wait until they are all getting kind of low on tread, then all 4 tires are low on tread.....with the non-rotating method, there will always be at least 2 wheels that have good tread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxN
But, what about braking in wet conditions ?

The ability to disperse the water and put rubber on the road is significantly impaired with worn rubber, as is the ability to swerve in the same wet conditions.

New rubber on the rear only reduces any oversteer tendancies, which the DSC defeats rather neatly.
As with many of the comments about worn tires not performing.

We are looking at worn tread tires that still function OK wet or dry not completely worn treadless tires that need replacing.

In wet conditions or dry your worn tires should work fine but not as well as the newer tires.

If you can wear the four tires down somewhat evenly then replace all four is a good practice, then you start with good tires on all corners.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Okay. Here is the definitive answer:

For those who don't pay attention when they drive, best tires on the rear.

For those who do pay attention and want the most capable vehicle, best tires on the front. It is simple. It really is. Tire companies and retailers agree: They think we are simple idiots, gross negligence in the legal world to assume anything else because the driving public proves their simplicity and ignorance day in, day out.

Paying attention, front.

Not paying attention, rear.

If you don't agree, sue me.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
For those who do pay attention and want the most capable vehicle, best tires on the front.
When I was 16 I had a used 1957 Alfa Romeo Spider. I could only affort two tires at a time. So, reading that most of the braking was done by the front wheels, I put the two new Pirellis on the front and the bald disasters on the rear.

Boy did I have fun going through wet corners. If someone had been watering too long, or washing their car, I could have a fishtailing festival. Things go quite tame when I got the second set of Pirellis.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear
I've always thought best tyres on the front .. as the power gets put down to the front wheels.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 AM
minijon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
Okay. Here is the definitive answer:

For those who don't pay attention when they drive, best tires on the rear.

For those who do pay attention and want the most capable vehicle, best tires on the front. It is simple. It really is. Tire companies and retailers agree: They think we are simple idiots, gross negligence in the legal world to assume anything else because the driving public proves their simplicity and ignorance day in, day out.

Paying attention, front.

Not paying attention, rear.

If you don't agree, sue me.
I fully agree.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 AM
naffets
3rd Gear
Ditto

Old 08-29-2007, 03:58 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
When I was 16 I had a used 1957 Alfa Romeo Spider. I could only affort two tires at a time. So, reading that most of the braking was done by the front wheels, I put the two new Pirellis on the front and the bald disasters on the rear.

Boy did I have fun going through wet corners. If someone had been watering too long, or washing their car, I could have a fishtailing festival. Things go quite tame when I got the second set of Pirellis.
Yes, rear wheel drive. A different kettle of fish.

Perhaps most of us are thinking Best tires and good tires. I hope most of us aren't thinking best tires and bald tires. Bald tires anywhere will make you pay.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
Rotated my runflats today after about 5,00 miles. Now I can start wearing out the other two.