Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As any update, my TPMS light keeps coming on for no reason. I keep resetting it, it keeps coming on. I have a digital tire gauge and I've set all four tires at 38 when the car is cold. Reset everything. Works for about a day and then BAM! the light comes on again. I check the tires and they are all good. I called my MA and he said I'll have to bring it in if it keeps up. He also said they could disable it all togther. Now that is good news.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Is Tirerack a sponsor here? They sell them for around $50/corner.

An Admin may want to contact them to see if they want to sponsor here since they sponsor a lot of other forums.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aus
Is Tirerack a sponsor here? They sell them for around $50/corner.

An Admin may want to contact them to see if they want to sponsor here since they sponsor a lot of other forums.
Yes they are.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DARK CHILI
you wouldn't happen to have the part # for the sensors?????
Not at the moment. The place I bought my wheels from has the sensors. I am going to have the new sensors reinstalled on my oem wheels. I paid them extra to take them out and use them on my new mags, cause I had no clue as to how long the sensors were going to be backordered (winters a commin). The oem's (AS) will be my winter wheels.

As soon as I find out what the part numbers are, I will let you know.

I love the look of my new wheels\tires!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Electric Shock
6th Gear
I have a Toyota with TPMS. After I purchased the car I found out about all the issues with after market wheels. Initially I found that out through Tirerack which had a price of $250 for a set of four. In Toyota forums I found that many people simply leave a stock spare with the tire pressure monitor and somehow this keeps the dash light from coming on (although I don't understand how having one in the spare instead of four would do this). Of course without a spare in the MINI this is not much of an option.

Others disable the light. Once again, having no spare in the MINI makes this a riskier option.

It seems that most have been able to find shops to install without the TPMS. Apparently these shops see the TPMS as a requirement put on vehicle manufacturers only and not on installers and drivers.

I have been able to find tire pressure monitors on ebay for cheaper but the issue of fitting on after market wheels remains.

I still have taken no action to replace my stock wheels as a result of all of this. I am presuming that as TPMS becomes more commonplace eventually a couple things will happen. I would imagine that for one, information about compatibility of various TPMS on after market wheels will become more widespread. Also I would imagine that at some point as the market for tire pressure monitors increases, more manufacturers and seller of TPMS will find their way to the market and the prices will come down. Lastly I would guess that eventually makers of after market wheels will eventually manufacture their wheels to become easier to add stock tire pressure monitors.

Hopefully changes in the after market wheel market won't take years. In the mean time, we have to take our chances and be more careful about what we buy in after market wheels.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:07 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Not at the moment. The place I bought my wheels from has the sensors. I am going to have the new sensors reinstalled on my oem wheels. I paid them extra to take them out and use them on my new mags, cause I had no clue as to how long the sensors were going to be backordered (winters a commin). The oem's (AS) will be my winter wheels.

Yeah, Alex at the tire rack says he needs the part #'s so he can send the replacement stems/seals to their installer using my oem sensors. Until then I am on hold.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:10 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear

Maybe if you can tell me what sensors they used, I can figure the rest out.
And yes the dealer has no clue........They are WORKING on it....

Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
Being on hold is the pits!

I just called the guy. The name of the company, on the box is "BERU" (from Germany).

Sensor
Part# : 36236781847

Accy kit
Part# : 36111095374

These are the parts MINI sent to my tire dealer, so these parts are from "MINI" itself.

Good luck, bud!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Being on hold is the pits!

I just called the guy. The name of the company, on the box is "BERU" (from Germany).

Sensor
Part# : 36236781847

Accy kit
Part# : 36111095374

These are the parts MINI sent to my tire dealer, so these parts are from "MINI" itself.

Good luck, bud!
You are the man!!!!!!!
I' m still waiting for MINI to give me these #'s. I already called Tirerack and gave them the info, so the ball is rolling. Thx a mill.....

Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
You are the man!!!!!!!
I' m still waiting for MINI to give me these #'s. I already called Tirerack and gave them the info, so the ball is rolling. Thx a mill.....
Just get me a JCW kit, and will call it even.

Glad to be of help!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Just get me a JCW kit, and will call it even.

Glad to be of help!
It's in the mail........
No, thx again. If you come to central Fl. I owe you a beer....

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
It's in the mail........
No, thx again. If you come to central Fl. I owe you a beer....
I am very, very, anxiously awaiting the mail man, and I have been know to drink beer.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
in for later

Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Swapped out my sensors to asa ar1's. Not a problem. Got a look at the sensors and they are BMW parts as we all suspected.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM
aem421
4th Gear
DARK CHILI,

This is great info. My only problem is that the TMPS light keeps coming on intermittently. Wouldn't you know that when I was on my way to the dealer on Friday, it went off. They of course checked everything out and said everything is fine. Right now it's back on . Driving me nuts! Looks like I'm headed back to the dealer. Hopefully it won't go off so they can see I'm not just making it up.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Lateral G
2nd Gear
This is irritating. I just took delivery on Saturday, and had no clue they were changing the TPMS system. I've got some Fikse wheels on order. I sure do hope the sensors fit.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Well on the way home today the light went off again. Starting to get annoying. This thing really is a pain in the ****!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
does anybody have a link to the asa ar1 sensors and where to buy

Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tomah
does anybody have a link to the asa ar1 sensors and where to buy
I believe that ASA AR1s are wheels, not sensors.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
brassknuckle
2nd Gear
Yes the ASA's are a brand of wheel (look at Tirerack.com), they just took the OEM sensors and put them in the new ASA wheels.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:56 PM
MikeV
1st Gear
Interesting about TPMS as I changed from the RF to a 17" Konig Wheel and BF Goodrich S tires. I purchased from BWT.com, they didn't mention the issue and I installed and originally had the sensor go off (due to a low pressure on one wheel/tire) since then no issues. Resetting the TPMS is easy enough but I did not have a "special" top on my original 17" spoke OEM wheels either. Did Mini change where the sensor is installed?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeV
Did Mini change where the sensor is installed?
MikeV-look at the first post

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM
MikeV
1st Gear
Thanks glnr13, after reviewing all of the initial posts it, I overlooked the one that spelled it out...I need more posts to get into 2nd gear

Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Anyone know where the sensors are installed on the 2007 Mini Cooper S Convertible? I wanted to buy new rims for snows this winter and don't know if I will have any issues. Also anyone know how to disable the sensors altogether? I never had them before, so why would I need them now.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs
Anyone know where the sensors are installed on the 2007 Mini Cooper S Convertible? I wanted to buy new rims for snows this winter and don't know if I will have any issues.
The new style sensors only started to appear in MINIs delivered from the beginning of this month. They are in the valve stems, and if yours look like the picture in the first post, then you have them. Otherwise you have the old system, which has no issues with changing rims.

Quick Reply: New tire pressure monitoring system