Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
New tire pressure monitoring system

I thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread on the tire pressure monitoring system being shipped with the newest MINIs. The big implication would be its effect on using aftermarket wheels. I've collected some posts where it has been mentioned.

Originally Posted by alicecooper
Hate to break it to you, but I just took delivery of my new MCS, and it has sensors on the valve stems. I ordered new 17" American Racing wheels and non-run flat tires, picked up my car, went to the tire dealer to get the new wheels installed, and they said they can't legally install the wheels without the sensors.

Another wait ....(special order)!

Cost of four sensors ...TWO HUNDRED THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!

Pretty expensive for (mandatory) sensors the size of a zippo lighter.

Cheap labor, faster production of electronics DOES NOT mean cheaper prices. I MUST get them, no choice.
My valve stems look nothing like normal valve stems. All metal, no rubber stem.

I went back to the dealer I bought the car from, the service rep made a phone call to Mini, I received one of the first early batches of the new tire sensors that they will be installing on all tires, as per the TREAD Act.

http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Cen...toring_Systems
The TREAD Act made it mandatory for automobile manufacturers to include dashboard low-tire-pressure were first required in 10% of new vehicles in 2004, increasing to 100% of new vehicles by 2007.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) include four pressure and temperature sensors, one affixed to each wheel.

This is an actual pressure measuring system. BMW is changing over from the ABS sensor Low Tire Monitor to the direct-sensing Tire Pressure Monitor. New USA regulations (FMVSS 138) require accuracy beyond the capability of the traditional ABS type. Direct measurement systems don't have to display the pressures (cost, dash space), they just have to illuminate a lamp.
Good question, Speedwing.

The tire dealer I bought the mags from said, it was against the law to install the wheels on my car without the sensors. They would not do it. I could have installed wheels\tires myself without sensors, but was told by tire dealer, it would constantly set off the warnings. Don't know yet if I'd be breaking the law or what has to be reset.

This is all totally new stuff to me. Never had runflats or these expensive sensors before.
Just thought of something else. Forget about using slime or such, in a pinch. Unless you want to buy a new sensor at $60 ea.
Originally Posted by krut
yessir.. on the new r56 week 32 and on they added a thingee to the back of the valve stem that communicates with a sensor - it monitors tire pressure and temperature
Originally Posted by krut
BIG change I discovered when I went to put on my previous gen R99 wheels - MINI has moved to an ACTIVE tire pressure monitoring system. I noticed the valve stem covers are MUCH bigger. Evidently there are some electronics behind the valve stem that transmit tire pressure and temperature to a sensor. That sensor then alerts the master control for lack of a better term and alerts if something is amiss. Since those sensors actually sit inside a slight cutout in the wheel there is no guarantee that my TPS would work correctly. So I've decided to sell my R99s (with only several thousand miles on them) and just continue on with my all-season 16's. :-(

Here it is. The valve stem cap is the size of a dime.

Last edited by rkw; 09-02-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add another quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my G came with those RF type TPM's. i dont install TPM tx's in my
aftermarket wheels cause it doesn't trigger the monitor unless it has
been driven on an expressway for a long time. this is on the G, might
be different on the R56's. 99% of the time i drive my hobby cars on
surface streets so never had an issue.

just tell them it's for a 04 civic or something and just buy the wheels
without them if you want to go without. i think it is bs that they
can not install wheels just because it is without the TPM modules...
unless it's for a SUV or something that can easily tip over and crash.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 PM
strawtarget
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! I knew this was going to happen. I know I shouldn't complain about a new feature that is actually a pretty nice upgrade, but I already bought a set of 4 Rota Boost wheels in anticipation of taking delivery of my car pretty soon. And this post doesn't give me ultra high hopes of the valve stems fitting my Rotas if there is indeed some weird cut-out inside the wheel to accomodate them. Bummer.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Well, I just bought a set of ASA s from Alex at TireRack last week and was assured that he would take care of the issue if My car showed up with this system. I guess it time to call Alex....Bummer.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know the newer VW's come with this and a lot of people are just disabling the monitors all together....why not just look into doing that? No cop is gonna sit and check to see if you've disabled it when he pulls you over for something else.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:07 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I know the newer VW's come with this and a lot of people are just disabling the monitors all together....why not just look into doing that? No cop is gonna sit and check to see if you've disabled it when he pulls you over for something else.
My 07 passat came with it and I just took them out of the oem wheels and put them on my TSW s. So I hope it works out the same way here. If not I won't be a happy person......

Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Blackpearl
2nd Gear
will those fit in an S-Lite rim? I want to put 215-45-17 Kumho's and use S-Lite rims instead of the 16" w/runflats. Even if I have to order those stems I'll do it because I don't want runflats.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DARK CHILI
My 07 passat came with it and I just took them out of the oem wheels and put them on my TSW s. So I hope it works out the same way here. If not I won't be a happy person......
DARK CHILI...Let me know if it works. I'm just about ready to order the ASA's myself and was told by TireRack that my new sensors will work with this wheel. Please keep us posted or PM me. Thanks alot.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Codeboi
Neutral
Slime tire repair and TPMS

I found this on the SLIME website. Looks like it definitely isn't compatible with the new valve mounted monitors...

http://www.slime.com/customercare/viewfaq.php?id=56&q=

"At this time, Slime Tire Sealant will not install into tires equipped with direct (“valve mounted”) sensors as the sensor obstructs the passage through which the sealant must be installed. Therefore, installing sealant in vehicle tires outfitted with valve mounted sensors is not recommended."

This totally stinks! I was planning on switching out the new TPMS valves to aftermarket wheels and non-runflat tires (cost savings + ride quality) when my Mini arrived. I really don't want to run around without the option of being able to repair a flat. I guess I'm going to have to deal with the TPMS light being on until someone figures out how to disable it (The VW guys on vwvortex.com have already got this one solved for their vehicles).

Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Yeah, what ever happened to the good ole days of just using a tire pressure gauge and checking your tires once a week

I don't need no stinkin tire pressure monitoring system

Old 09-08-2007, 04:39 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Codeboi
I found this on the SLIME website. Looks like it definitely isn't compatible with the new valve mounted monitors...

http://www.slime.com/customercare/viewfaq.php?id=56&q=

"At this time, Slime Tire Sealant will not install into tires equipped with direct (“valve mounted”) sensors as the sensor obstructs the passage through which the sealant must be installed. Therefore, installing sealant in vehicle tires outfitted with valve mounted sensors is not recommended."

This totally stinks! I was planning on switching out the new TPMS valves to aftermarket wheels and non-runflat tires (cost savings + ride quality) when my Mini arrived. I really don't want to run around without the option of being able to repair a flat. I guess I'm going to have to deal with the TPMS light being on until someone figures out how to disable it (The VW guys on vwvortex.com have already got this one solved for their vehicles).
So whats the deal?? If we ordered our cars (S)without the runflats, will we get a spare then? They can't expect us to use thie slime if it doesn't work with these sensors. (Sorry, my last two came with RF so I didn't have a spare.)

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So whats the deal?? If we ordered our cars (S)without the runflats, will we get a spare then? They can't expect us to use thie slime if it doesn't work with these sensors. (Sorry, my last two came with RF so I didn't have a spare.)
You can't order an MCS without runflats.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FLKeith
You can't order an MCS without runflats.
Yeah, the miniusa site is a little misleading. It shows Crown Spokes with "Performance" and the Web Spoke with "Performance Runflats" implying that they offer non-runflats... but they don't.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
$60 is a damn good price for sensors, especially through the dealer. Starting 08 100% of cars and trucks have to have these sensors.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Codeboi
Neutral
When I ordered my MCS(due to be delivered in the next 3 weeks) I selected 16's expecting that I would swap them out for a set of 17" aftermarket wheels and non-runflat tires. I THOUGHT I would be saving myself a little money by selling the 16's and run-flats to offset the cost of the aftermarket wheels and tires. The new sensors not being compatible with slime have sabotaged my plans. I went back to my dealer to discuss my options. They offered to upgrade me to Crown-Spoke or Web-Spokes for the factory price. So, here are the options as I see it...

A. Pay to upgrade to factory 17's and run-flats, and be doomed to wheels and tires I initially rejected.

B. Stick with the factory 16" run-flat tires and just upgrade wheels. A half solution.

C. Go ahead with my original upgrade plan and remove the new TPMS system to remain compatible with Slime, but suffer the constantly glowing tire warning system.

D. Upgrade my wheels and tires as originally planned and transfer the TPMS to the new wheels. I would then have to either live life on the edge without a roadside flat-fix option or fill up the boot with a spare tire.

Does anybody know how annoying the flat tire chime is? I can probably live with the light constantly being on until we figure out how to disable the sensor.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
$60 is a damn good price for sensors
You must have stock in one of the sensor companies. Others don't. An entire pc motherboard, with thousands of electronic parts, and chips, can be purchased for less than $60. What parts are inside the sensor? Key word is "mandatory".
For that kind of money, it should, at least, read out the exact tire pressure on each individual wheel, in the computer readout, instead of a simple light or flasher. I still need to use a precision guage.

As of right now, I am still waiting for my backordered sensors. I hope to get them,....BEFORE WINTER!! I happen to be in Mass. right now, and nobody has the sensors. I am told they are all in Germany, and nobody has ANY E.T.A. This is rediculious, for equipment that is required by law, and mandatory!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Or 'E' go with the 17's, get new wheels, swap out the sensors, and keep the runflats. That should last you until the runflats need replacing. By then, a solution should be out to bypass the TPMS.

I'm in the same boat so don't feel bad.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
any way to mount some sensors to a small pressurized tank and stick it in the boot or something? LOL its a crazy new mod possibility!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Or any way to shut off the TPMS on the ECU side?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
I just picked up my R56 Saturday, had tires and wheels on order since last week, and noticed during inspection that my car comes with the TPMS. I called the tire dealer here and asked if that is an issue. They said it is no problem at all, they just transfer the valve stems over to the new wheels and tires. No big deal, no extra expense. So we'll find out tomorrow morning if that is really the case and I'll follow up here.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
we never got to the point of testing the TPMS swap since the new wheels don't fit! This brought up another difference between 06 and 07 MINI's. The wheel bolt diameter increased from 11.Xmm to 14mm and some wheels don't ship standard with holes big enough to accept the new bolts. The shop doesn't want to drill out the holes for liability reasons but thankfully Konig does modify wheels and will send out a new set in the next few days.

So... hopefully I can tell you not to worry about the TPMS issue, but stay tuned for that next week

Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
strawtarget
1st Gear
I bought some 16" Rota Boost wheels in advance of taking delivery of the MINI, so I was kinda sweating it when I found out my car would have active TPMS. But there was no problem swapping the sensors over to the new wheels. Discount Tire charged an extra $12.50 per wheel to do the swap, and charged $5 per wheel for a kit that replaces the grommet and valve core. The kit is necessary because the factory grommets are squished down REAL tight and might be deformed after removal. Also, the stock MINI wheels have a cut-out area inside the wheel where the sensor fits snugly to the "barrel". The kit includes 2 different size washers to accomodate for the lack of this cut-out in aftermarket wheels.

So it was an extra $70 all told to swap the sensors to the new wheels upon installation of new tires. Could be worse!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
we never got to the point of testing the TPMS swap since the new wheels don't fit! This brought up another difference between 06 and 07 MINI's. The wheel bolt diameter increased from 11.Xmm to 14mm and some wheels don't ship standard with holes big enough to accept the new bolts. The shop doesn't want to drill out the holes for liability reasons but thankfully Konig does modify wheels and will send out a new set in the next few days.

So... hopefully I can tell you not to worry about the TPMS issue, but stay tuned for that next week
If you think you'll be getting new wheels often enough to warrant it, there are conversion studs that are 14mm where they enter the wheel hub, then neck down to 12mm to fit all the popular aftermarket wheels. Texas Speedwerks carries the studs. I have a set on my late 2006 MCSC, and they've been great. It also makes it easier to swap wheels when you can just hang the wheels on the studs, rather than lifting them up in place on the hub and then having to align the holes in the wheels with the holes in the hub.

Basically, having one set of aftermarket wheels drilled out is cheaper than the stud conversion kit, but the kit is usually cheaper than having two sets of aftermarket wheels drilled.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
Instead of slime, I believe Walmart has something called duraplug that is a tool that you stick in the hole and when you pull it out it plugs the tire. With that and a compressor, no need to worry about slime damage to wheel sensors.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
You must have stock in one of the sensor companies. Others don't. An entire pc motherboard, with thousands of electronic parts, and chips, can be purchased for less than $60. What parts are inside the sensor? Key word is "mandatory".
For that kind of money, it should, at least, read out the exact tire pressure on each individual wheel, in the computer readout, instead of a simple light or flasher. I still need to use a precision guage.

As of right now, I am still waiting for my backordered sensors. I hope to get them,....BEFORE WINTER!! I happen to be in Mass. right now, and nobody has the sensors. I am told they are all in Germany, and nobody has ANY E.T.A. This is rediculious, for equipment that is required by law, and mandatory!!
you wouldn't happen to have the part # for the sensors?????

Quick Reply: New tire pressure monitoring system