Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Replacement tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Tea Rex
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement tire suggestions?

Why do recommendations for tires seem all over the map? Obviously for different conditions you should buy different tires, but it looks as if every major brand would work on a Mini.

Before my 05 MCS I used to drive Miatas. The manufacturer and the national club used to recommend but one or two types of replacement tires that would work best with the car and its stock suspension.

So, next question. I'm going to replace my 195/55R/16 Dunlop SP Sport R/Fs with something. I need an all-season tire as we have hot, dry summers but a little snow in the winter. Am thinking I will go with conventional tires rather than the R/Fs. The treadwear on my stock tires is 280 and my front ones seem almost shot after only 15K. (My fault for not rotating. I go to a dealer out of state about once a year and I forgot.)
So, I don't want anything less than 280. Maybe more.

Tire suggestions? Thanks folks.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The goodyear F1 GS3D all season is getting rave reviews

I haven't driven it, but the summer version is great IF you have no snow. Alex made reference to some Tire Rack tests that show it's a bitchen' tire, but I don't think it's out yet. They just got a write up in either Motor Trend, Road and Track, Hot Rod or Euopean Car (I get them all, and don't remember which rag had it.)

Matt

Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Based on thier No.1 rating in Tire Rack's Survey of Ultra High Performance Summer Tires, I mounted a set of General UHP Exclaims on my 07 MCS. I must say this is a very nice tire. It is probably not the ultimate grippy tire you would want for track or auto-X, but for street use - including lots of aggressive cornering - the Exclaims work very well for me.

Compared to the OEM runflats, the Exclaims produce a significantly more compliant and comfortable ride, are quiet running, are excellent in the wet and have plently of cornering grip for anything short of track use. Another positive is that they are lightweight - my 205/50/16 Exclaims tip the scales at 19 lbs. Every pound of unsprung weight saved benefits handling and suspension performance. Best of all, Tire Rack sells them for only $66, about half of what some of the more exotic (and only incrementally grippier) tires cost. The Exclaims are a good-looking tire, work great, and are hard to beat for the money. I'm quite happy with them.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tea Rex
Why do recommendations for tires seem all over the map? Obviously for different conditions you should buy different tires, but it looks as if every major brand would work on a Mini.

Before my 05 MCS I used to drive Miatas. The manufacturer and the national club used to recommend but one or two types of replacement tires that would work best with the car and its stock suspension.

So, next question. I'm going to replace my 195/55R/16 Dunlop SP Sport R/Fs with something. I need an all-season tire as we have hot, dry summers but a little snow in the winter. Am thinking I will go with conventional tires rather than the R/Fs. The treadwear on my stock tires is 280 and my front ones seem almost shot after only 15K. (My fault for not rotating. I go to a dealer out of state about once a year and I forgot.)
So, I don't want anything less than 280. Maybe more.

Tire suggestions? Thanks folks.
This topic has been discussed before. Search for 205/55-16 or 205/50-16 All Season tires.

Recommendation for tires are based on your wheel size, your suspension clearance, your budget, and your weather.

Since there are many variables there can be many choices.

Your requirements-
16x6.5" stock wheels with stock suspension.
Non runflat All season tires
Treadwear greater than 280.
Tires basically for street use.

In 205/50-16 (very close but less than stock height)
For Ultra High Performance All Season tires
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S $108 400 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $75 420 treadwear (best value tire)
Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical $95 340 treadwear

In 205/55-16 (slightly taller tire diameter but OK)
Many tires to choose from
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position $114 400 treadwear
Yokohama Advan S.4. $134 400 treadwear
Continental ContiExtremeContact $80 400 treadwear
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S $144 400 treadwear
Avon Tech M550 A/S $80 360 treadwear
And the three tires above ($106/$70/$116 respectively)
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season $126 420 treadwear

For the money the Bridgestone RE960AS has the best overall balance of performance, comfort, value, long treadwear and all season capability.
Kumho Ecsta ASX and Avon Tech M550 are good values.

High Performance All Season tires are also possible in these two sizes-
do a search. But the Ultra High Performance All Season tires are better and some offer very good value and treadlife.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is a Max Performance Summer tire and not for any snow use. Don't use any summer tire for any snow use.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can tell you that my sumitomo HTR+'s stick much better
than the SP9000 DSST's.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
If you want longer wearing tires with more comfort then-

Consider
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Grand Touring All Season tire
620 treadwear
Sizes to fit the MINI

16” wheels
205/55-16 $125 H rated/$141 V rated fits 5.5-7.5” rims, 23 lbs H/V speed rated 24.9” tire diameter

17” wheels
225/45-17 $170 fits 7-8.5” rims, 24 lbs H speed rated 25” tire diameter

Test results
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=86
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=86
Very Good ride and noise comfort for street use with good handling (dry and very good in wet)

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It's the Goodyear F1 All Season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+F1+All+Season

Sorry about that.

Matt

Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about Goodrich G-force? I thought they were supposed to be good, but they're not mentioned in anyone's list above.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
A good place to look is TireRack's reviews sections..

there you can see what people thought of tires on lots of types of cars, and many give thier impressions relative to the tires they used to have. Only 5 people have posted in this thread, so lots of good tires haven't been listed.

Matt

Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 AM
rdwatt
2nd Gear
General UHP Exclaims

Originally Posted by Diploman
Based on thier No.1 rating in Tire Rack's Survey of Ultra High Performance Summer Tires, I mounted a set of General UHP Exclaims on my 07 MCS. I must say this is a very nice tire. It is probably not the ultimate grippy tire you would want for track or auto-X, but for street use - including lots of aggressive cornering - the Exclaims work very well for me.

Compared to the OEM runflats, the Exclaims produce a significantly more compliant and comfortable ride, are quiet running, are excellent in the wet and have plently of cornering grip for anything short of track use. Another positive is that they are lightweight - my 205/50/16 Exclaims tip the scales at 19 lbs. Every pound of unsprung weight saved benefits handling and suspension performance. Best of all, Tire Rack sells them for only $66, about half of what some of the more exotic (and only incrementally grippier) tires cost. The Exclaims are a good-looking tire, work great, and are hard to beat for the money. I'm quite happy with them.
I've checked Tire Rack for these, but couldn't locate them...are they still available? $66.00 is a super price.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rdwatt
I've checked Tire Rack for these, but couldn't locate them...are they still available? $66.00 is a super price.
The General Exclaim UHP is in stock at Tire Rack at $66 ea. in size 205-50-16. It's listed as a summer tire, but quite a few reviewers have stated that it handles light snow, too.

I have Kumho ASX all seasons on my MCS and like them a lot too...same size as the Generals, but a bit more in price.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
rdwatt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
The General Exclaim UHP is in stock at Tire Rack at $66 ea. in size 205-50-16. It's listed as a summer tire, but quite a few reviewers have stated that it handles light snow, too.

I have Kumho ASX all seasons on my MCS and like them a lot too...same size as the Generals, but a bit more in price.
Thanks. I'll check again. I was looking for all seasons, so the Generals may work. I'll check out your Kumhos too.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rdwatt
Thanks. I'll check again. I was looking for all seasons, so the Generals may work. I'll check out your Kumhos too.
The Generals have a funny rating...they are listed as summer tires, but yet are rated as M+S, which seems to indicate that they MIGHT go as an all season tire if the snow is negligible. That's why some reviewers state that they actually used their tires in snow, I think...even though the tire is not an all season classified tire.