Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Show me your WHEELS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
ahh, classic switcharoo. We went from you copying my style to now you thinking I want to be you right?
I admitted months ago that your car convinced me to switch my original idea from red inner stripes/black outer stripes to Black inner stripes and red outer. Since then, you have popped up responding to photos of my car many times. I have yet to follow you around feeling the need to comment.

Face it, your car isn't unique. It just has a different outer color for your viper stripes. Your tuning has been done. Your seats have been done. Pretty much everything on your car has been done. Other than the red outer stripe, if you want to point out all of your unique details that I have copied, be my guest. But much like the "follow around NAM" comment, you can't.

Your are a very helpful guy on this board and a real asset. Too bad you take yourself and your car too seriously.

Last edited by MiniJayhawk; 04-25-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Cool wheels...I really like the "inner lip" thing that's going on. Have you thought about painting/powdercoating that inner lip in a red to match the rest of the scheme?

Also, what offset and width did you go with?
Thanks.

Well, if I did paint the inner lip I would be accused of being a hack because I think someone else did that with a set of Flik wheels. But, no, I don't plan to do that.

They are 17x7 with a +40 offset. The tires are the new Dunlop Direzza Z1 215/45/17 but are very wide. More like a 225 width. They are just about as far out as i can go with this tire/offset combination. The photo from the rear makes it look a little more like it is too wide than it really is. When I put the spring on I dialed out as much rear camber as possible. If it rubs under full compression, I can add a little camber if I need to. The front is perfect after I slid the struts in as much as possible with the slotted strut towers on the R56.

I have scrubbed the tires in a bit and they are outstanding! Excellent turn in and road feel. Can't wait to get them to the track in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
I admitted months ago that your car convinced me to switch my original idea from red inner stripes/black outer stripes to Black inner stripes and red outer. Since then, you have popped up responding to photos of my car many times. I have yet to follow you around feeling the need to comment.
I don't follow anybody around. I'm a postwhore. I see you post more pics and I have to do a doubletake, thinking it's my car.

Face it, your car isn't unique.
yeah, thanks for that...feel better now you've cribbed someone's style?

Your tuning has been done. Your seats have been done. Pretty much everything on your car has been done.
Yep to the tuning (I'm no dummy...I let others live on the bleeding edge...one of the reasons I bought a mature R53 and not an early R56).

Nope to the seats - if someone had done it before me, well, good on them. I'd never seen it and surely didn't have an instruction manual....I rounded up parts and fab'ed it up myself over several weekends. Not an easy install and probably the most challenging on my car.

Imagine that....buying the same parts as others vs. building a factory to build my own. Unpossible.

Your are a very helpful guy on this board and a real asset.
perhaps, but it's people like you who give me pause when answering the multitude of PM's I get asking for advice. Think about that and what you're doing to be an asset to this community.

Too bad you take yourself and your car too seriously.
anybody who knows me knows this isn't at all true. run along now.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I don't follow anybody around. I'm a postwhore. I see you post more pics and I have to do a doubletake, thinking it's my car.
So doubletake and leave it be. We get it. You are upset about my car. My 6 year old came home from school all upset because someone else had the same shirt as her. I told her she should take it as a compliment. She got it.

Originally Posted by PGT
perhaps, but it's people like you who give me pause when answering the multitude of PM's I get asking for advice. Think about that and what you're doing to be an asset to this community.
I didn't do a damned thing until you made a crack at me. You couldn't handle a lighthearted comeback. I understand.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 AM
PGT
Banned
You are upset about my car.
not at all. your continued insistence that you are unique and original is what fuels this. admit you lacked your own vision and I will drop it.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 AM
skillet
6th Gear
In all fairness, how can we be unique? There are so many MINI's on here w/ different things. Eventually, someone is going to be replicating someone... For instance, I liked Misfitoy's MlU logo placement, so I did it too (don't have it anymore as I f'd up my old front bumper). In a way, you could take it as a compliment that he followed in your path.

This is another reason why I left the VW scene...Nobody wanted to share their car or mods with others due to the fact that they wanted to be one-offs...it's still continuing today, and I guess those who are this way will never grow up

BTW, I like you PGT (no, not in that way ), you are a leader in this community.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
not at all. your continued insistence that you are unique and original is what fuels this. admit you lacked your own vision and I will drop it.
Quite the opposite. I have always maintained that my car is not unique, for the same reasons stated by skillet. Not sure why you think I have ever argued my car is unique. It is your inability to admit that your car isn't as unique as you think (outward appearance) that has fueled this stupid little spat. Each time an issue arose it was because you felt the need to make an unsolicited crack about my car.

I'm done with it if you can be.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 AM
PGT
Banned
My car was unique....nobody else had done the exact same. Sure, some things were copied/replicated elsewhere (as in copying me or me copying someone else I saw that I liked), but none so accurately as your car. That's the thing. I've even said this before - I saw the red/black graphics on a silver Lotus first. There was not a single MINI out there that looked just like mine until now.

If I would have known your goal was to mimic my car...I would have not been so forthcoming and helpful answering your questions. That's what I meant by my previous comment. Your actions have caused me to be less forthcoming and helpful....<pat on the back for that>

We've said all this before...

Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
My car was unique....nobody else had done the exact same. Sure, some things were copied/replicated elsewhere (as in copying me or me copying someone else I saw that I liked), but none so accurately as your car. That's the thing. I've even said this before - I saw the red/black graphics on a silver Lotus first. There was not a single MINI out there that looked just like mine until now.

If I would have known your goal was to mimic my car...I would have not been so forthcoming and helpful answering your questions. That's what I meant by my previous comment. Your actions have caused me to be less forthcoming and helpful....<pat on the back for that>

We've said all this before...
Revisionist history is fun. I asked you about a set of wheels that you once had. Nothing more, nothing less. My "goal" was not to mimic your car. The blackout is pretty universal around the Mini world. The red mirror caps have been done many times. I elected to do the same red outer stripe as you. Nothing more, nothing less. But you have managed to blow two 1" wide strips of vinyl into a major issue. (I'm going to wear out that emoticon with you.)

If I had gone with black seats, red calipers, a black scoop, red tow hook, and an oversentitive adolescent attitude, you might have an argument.

Last edited by MiniJayhawk; 04-25-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 AM
dtm
2nd Gear

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok....we get it, Jayhawk copied PGT's car. Can we move on back to the regular topic of posting and sharing wheels now? Thanks, that'd be awesome

Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by dtm
nah...I'm done. It's clear to all.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Konky
4th Gear
Name:  mj_popcorn.gif
Views: 122
Size:  447.7 KB

Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
Ok....we get it, Jayhawk copied PGT's car. Can we move on back to the regular topic of posting and sharing wheels now? Thanks, that'd be awesome
Yeah, I'm a little less than two weeks away from my wheels...the excitement may kill me...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by penguinpwrdbox
Yeah, I'm a little less than two weeks away from my wheels...the excitement may kill me...
if it does, please leave my address with your next of kin. I'll make sure they're compensated for them after they go on my car

Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
if it does, please leave my address with your next of kin. I'll make sure they're compensated for them after they go on my car
lmao..will do.

Seriously, I dunno what I'm going to do about 'em, though. Gonna get a set of k-dub's from Ray, so I'm thinking I gotta wait to put them on until I've got the drop.

If the excitement doesn't kill *me* - rocking those with that gap will def. kill some others...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
MiniJay those Motegi's look really good!!

You know I was thinking of buying them do I need your permisson??

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 AM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
Originally Posted by MiniEnvy
MiniJay those Motegi's look really good!!

You know I was thinking of buying them do I need your permisson??
I love that everyone thinks this is just so funny.

How about this...get some good taste in cars, auto design, and general aesthetics (if you don't have this already).

Then, spend thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours to make your car your own. Then bask in the pride of knowing that you accomplished your vision, your car looks great - by all accounts...

Then some hack comes along and blatantly rips off everything you've accomplished...and does an absolutely horrible job of it. You'd be pretty pissed, methinks. An awful lot of people here are not giving PGT enough credit for the class with which he has handled what amounts to the total perversion of his vision of the MINI.

Now, back to wheels.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Please move this back to showing wheels...

Thanks...

Yeah, it's the Moderator side of me showing....

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned

Sorry...couldn't resist

Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You SHOULD do it. I wouldn't call you a hack. I don't know or care if I was the first to repaint a set of Flik wheels this way, but I like the look. I think painting your wheels will be a huge pain in the **** though--cause they will have to deal with painting around the spokes---there's a lot more access to the inner lip on my wheels.

Thanks.
Well, if I did paint the inner lip I would be accused of being a hack because I think someone else did that with a set of Flik wheels. But, no, I don't plan to do that.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 04-25-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
LuxoDave
3rd Gear
That looks awesome OctaneGuy.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
I'm not real convinced that the Motegis could pull that off as well, being that there are more spokes, and therefore less of the lip would show.

It has to be said, however, that those Fliks look awesome.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Cool wheels...I really like the "inner lip" thing that's going on. Have you thought about painting/powdercoating that inner lip in a red to match the rest of the scheme?

Also, what offset and width did you go with?
I was thinking the same thing. But it would closely resemble the PGT theme (when he had the TE37s)...

Those wheels are pretty cool though, you gotta drop it another inch or 2 though.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM
dtm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by penguinpwrdbox

Sorry...couldn't resist
Cool - 14 spoke wheels - Who carries these? I need a set . . . would make my mini unique methinks - a bit too much wheel gap on this app though.

Quick Reply: Show me your WHEELS!